Portable Solar Panel

Done! There are a few discount vouchers available on Amazon today - £20 off the panels, %% discounts off the cables. Thanks @Dellmassive :thumbsup:

View attachment 233353

Hope it is OK to resurrect this older thread:

When I camp I'm always on a site so no problems with EHU for charging overnight but on days out (when I might be parked up but still at the van for a few hours) I've either got the fridge on (which on a hot day can use a surprising amount from the leisure battery) or in winter when I might need to put the diesel heater on a few times. The Eberspacher does not use much diesel but it needs power for the fan.

Can I connect something like the panel recommended above Renogy Portable to the leisure battery in a fully converted Hillside van without screwing things up? As both the fridge and heater are hardwired into the van I do not think a portable battery pack is the answer but I want to be able to top up the leisure battery during the day.

I am a total DUNCE when it comes to anything electric . . . and more than a little scared of doing damage to the electrics by doing it wrong, :unsure: please be gentle with me.

I think I understand that a panel cannot be plugged directly into the leisure battery but has to have a controller in between to stop the LB being overcharged, is that the way it works?

Did you manage set this up?

I've got the portable Renogy. Seems like a good quality panel and a handy smart bag for it

IMG_20240417_101825475_HDR.jpg

Did you manage set this up?

Sorry, my bad. ;);)

Bought the Renogy panel and Victron controller (thanks to amazing advice/support from @Dellmassive), even found the confidence to buy extension cables without asking for help :eek:, did a dry run of wiring to check that everything worked, which it did!

Of course, since then life and endless rain/cold has stopped me permanently fixing everything in place and reporting back. But I'll consider this a gentle nudge and try to work out how the heck I find time to do it soon . . .

I'm looking to use my Jackery folding solar panel a bit more and I've been given the opportunity by my shed solar panel failing.
The Jackery panel obviously has a hard wired lead with a few connectors, one for the actual Jackery unit.
What would I need to connect the panel to the shed battery? Do I need to go through an mppt controller?

Which panel?

Usually the ones for power packs are "raw" panels that rely on the solar controller built into the power pack.

If there are leads to "end use" things like croc clips or USB sockets then it's more likely they have a built in controller.

If you have a "raw" panel then you need to get yourself a PWM or MPPT controller to directly charge a battery. MPPT is technically better but PWM is more value for money, personally I'd take a good quality PWM over a cheap MPPT

I'm assuming that solar controller is in the shed already and you want to plug the Jackery panel into it?

I think it's this one?

That lists the Jackery connector as DC7909 - that means it's the DC power jack series 7.9mm diameter outer 0.9mm inner.

That should find you a socket from that series. The adapter is listed as DC8020 if that's easier to find.

For example (not recommendation)

You should be able to, just always be on the look out for cable where they actually state a specific current capacity or cable size - there are a lot of thick PVC jacket thin copper cables about and sometimes it's not even copper...

Back