Pop Top - The More I Think, The More Confused I Become!

I think a roof squeak would get worse after time. Becoming loose through use. Hinges not being factory fresh etc.

I'd almost decided to order a Hilo, in black Gelcoat, as I thought that would look nice on top of my starlight blue kombi.

But now found out that Hilo are not doing black gelcoat (at the moment at least), because of some technical issues, so my only option is to get it painted. The additional cost is swaying my decision, I may now go for SCA which will work out cheaper. It's not as sleek on the outside, but in my opinion it's better from the inside... and a little more headroom with bed down may make all the difference as I'm 6ft2.

But I'm still swinging from one to the other... will be glad when it's all over, I hate making decisions! Any advice much appreciated...

I'd almost decided to order a Hilo, in black Gelcoat, as I thought that would look nice on top of my starlight blue kombi.

But now found out that Hilo are not doing black gelcoat (at the moment at least), because of some technical issues, so my only option is to get it painted. The additional cost is swaying my decision, I may now go for SCA which will work out cheaper. It's not as sleek on the outside, but in my opinion it's better from the inside... and a little more headroom with bed down may make all the difference as I'm 6ft2.

But I'm still swinging from one to the other... will be glad when it's all over, I hate making decisions! Any advice much appreciated...
Having a Hilo fitted at the moment. The installer asked me what colour I wanted it. As they send it out to be sprayed as they do a couple of mods on it to remove the two metal “Hilo” discs that cover the front securing bolts, fibreglass over, then paint. I’m not aware of any additional price line on the quote that covers this aspect, and I could have said any colour.

I am 6’5” and can sit comfortably on the drivers seat without head butting the underside of the roof. I tried sitting in one for some time at Campermart, which was the final part of a lengthy decision making process that started for earnest at Busfest last year.

Thanks DaveyB. Is the headroom likely to still be OK with kiravan seat swivels (or similar), these seem to lift the seats by 2 inches or so? I reckon the loss of about 4 inches (roof+swivels) might be a bit tight..?

If your installers removed the metal discs, how do you lock down the roof? Am interested in this as I don't like the big black knobs... has anyone looked at using slimline aluminium thumb screws or similar??

Anyone got experience of the Hilo in wind/rain? I see very little mention of that, just a lot of talk about how good these things look. But I'm a practical kind of chap and I don't want to have to abort camping trips (or bring the kids down below) every time the wind blows a little, etc. By all accounts the SCA / California roof seems to be OK in moderate winds (up to 60mph being mentioned in some threads, if parked 'bum into wind'. I can't imagine the Hilo being so resilient...???

Thanks DaveyB. Is the headroom likely to still be OK with kiravan seat swivels (or similar), these seem to lift the seats by 2 inches or so? I reckon the loss of about 4 inches (roof+swivels) might be a bit tight..?

If your installers removed the metal discs, how do you lock down the roof? Am interested in this as I don't like the big black knobs... has anyone looked at using slimline aluminium thumb screws or similar??

Anyone got experience of the Hilo in wind/rain? I see very little mention of that, just a lot of talk about how good these things look. But I'm a practical kind of chap and I don't want to have to abort camping trips (or bring the kids down below) every time the wind blows a little, etc. By all accounts the SCA / California roof seems to be OK in moderate winds (up to 60mph being mentioned in some threads, if parked 'bum into wind'. I can't imagine the Hilo being so resilient...???
Hi @RobW , the internal black hand locking wheels remain, the discs are actually on the outside of the roof. If you look at the image from the below link you’ll see two silver discs towards the leading edge of the roof. (You may need to zoom in a tad).
VW T6 roof down from above | Campers Scotland
I think you’d struggle with a swivel on the drivers seat with head clearance. I only have a swivel on the passenger seat for this reason (on the odd occasion that I let the wife drive, I figure I can just slump down in the passenger seat a bit.
The locking mechanism is certainly something I will be looking into when I get the van back, to see if there is a more flush fit option that I can swap out for, maybe something more like that on the lowlife.
As to the hilo’s ability to withstand winds, no idea, can’t believe that it will be any worse than any other. For me this was the only roof I was interested in, as I really don’t like the taupe look of the majority of alternates.

I think you’d probably find the drivers’ headroom to be the same with any poptop - the HiLo looses headroom at the rear of the van; the headlining up front is cut in a similar fashion to many others (particularly the Cali), so if you find you struggle with swivels under one roof, you may find you struggle under all of them. I’m only speaking from what I recall when we were shopping around for a van. I can’t say I’ve tried them all as i honestly can’t remember exactly which roofs we looked at and which we didn’t. But we had a Cali on hire for three weeks and found the roof height in the cab to be similar.
Shortened seat bases may be your answer.

I was told by XtremeVan that the roof-bolts up the front of a HiLo are being redesigned and moved to underneath the sun visors, which will look a lot better. Not sure about the rears.
So I don’t see why they couldn’t spray over the exterior silver discs at the front of the roof - maybe with this redesign they hide them altogether?

And I’m not sure about wind and rain, sorry.

The knobs on the HiLo are not the main locking mechanism. There is a metal catch at the front in the middle of the roof. The knobs pull the front corners of the roof down below the rubber wind deflector on the windscreen. The same for the ones at the back.

We don't have a pop-top and have no plans to get one.
We hired a van for 3 nights with a pop-top and made our decision based on that experience.
For an overnight, we can manage without a pop top
For a longer trip - an awning is £500 and gives a lot more space.
Also, we avoid any issues with possible leaks, have better structural integrity, get into car parks better etc.
Works for us.

I’m with @Chopman on this.

For the amount of times I’d use a pop top It’s simply not worth the expense. We don’t cook in the van and don’t go in there to stand up. Prefer the money in my pocket.

First thing we do on a site or stopping somewhere for a cuppa is raise the roof - it’s too claustrophobic in the van with 3 of us and 2 dogs without.

First thing we do on a site or stopping somewhere for a cuppa is raise the roof - it’s too claustrophobic in the van with 3 of us and 2 dogs without.
Likewise; being in and out of sailing club car parks weekend after weekend, know full well from having used the van in this manner for the past year and a half, that it will be money well spent to us. But totally accept that it is not for everyone, it’s all about how your van supports and integrates with your life. If all you are going to do is use it once or twice a year then it is totally pointless, from a cost benefit analysis.

I had my Austops roof fitted last spring and love it. It comes with 5 Year warranty and is TUV approved. It’s profile is one of the best imo.

I was going to get an SCA as they made by same guys that make the Cali roof apparently and closest to genuine VW roof quality. But the price reflects this. If you have the funds SCA is the best without any doubt.

Skyline are very good too and the array of canvas colours were tempting. They certainly are a popular choice. At the time of me buying mine they were not TUV tested and didn’t offer as long warranty (I don’t know if this has changed) as Austops which swayed my decision.

I didn’t even consider HiLo as losing valuable head height when not in use was not practical for me.

Back