pop top fears of it opening whilst driving

rainbowdance

hi everyone - I've just bought a new campervan conversion with pop top. im constantly anxious when if its gonna come up? could this happen? I can hear a lot of wind coming through it and im trying not to go over 70mph and ignore it. what if I went faster? what if it was really windy or rainy? could it come off? I also have a solar panel up there! has anyone every had any issues with it? Am I just being afraid and dont need to be? any thoughts. thanks so much

hi everyone - I've just bought a new campervan conversion with pop top. im constantly anxious when if its gonna come up? could this happen? I can hear a lot of wind coming through it and im trying not to go over 70mph and ignore it. what if I went faster? what if it was really windy or rainy? could it come off? I also have a solar panel up there! has anyone every had any issues with it? Am I just being afraid and dont need to be? any thoughts. thanks so much
Your fears are probably unfounded, if you are in doubt go to a campervan dealer / converter and get it checked.
Unless you have a blue light on your poptop you shouldn’t be concerned with going over 70MPH

what is the method for securing pop top on your van picture would help
your get used to not worrying about it after a while

Got a few pics.?

Didnt @davecdjt have an unexpected motorway deployment last year that needed repairing. (Fixing point mod).

If your poptop is held down at the front with two straps, then it will be secure.

If it has a rotating catch, then proper alignment of the roof by the installer and careful operation is needed.

If your poptop is held down at the front with two straps, then it will be secure.

If it has a rotating catch, then proper alignment of the roof by the installer and careful operation is needed.
That seems to ring a bell.

Something about a cam fitting and rotation.

Maybe that's what happened to him.

I had a bit of paranoia about the roof the first couple of times I drove mine, was constantly on alert for any change in sound. Now I've raised and lowered it a few times, and seen how the latches and straps work, I don't worry about it. I'm sure it's probably just the newness of it all that's the issue on yours too.

Unless you have a T4 and were on the M5 just south of Strensham about lunchtime today? If so, yes, your pop top was raised by about 2 foot at the front. If the noise didn't give it away, the people hooting, flashing and waving may have been a clue. Or not, as the case seemed to be.

Got a few pics.?

Didnt @davecdjt have an unexpected motorway deployment last year that needed repairing. (Fixing point mod).

Yes, ours opened the day after it was installed. we were on the dual carriageway heading to Newcastle from Swindon. Only 20 minutes from home and the roof opened. Fortunately, the converters were still open and had us bring it straight in. They were working on it for a couple of hours. It's been fine since. It only has two locking cams to secure it. They were adjusted as the roof was a little loose as they were. After adjustment, it pinched down more firmly. I went back at a later date as the pop top sat slightly off to one side rather than centrally on the van roof. It was adjusted and sits and locks down fine now. I carefully check the pop top after closing it to ensure that it doesn't lift at all under the front corners.

If you search the forum you will find posts about cam locks failing, straps are simpler and are pretty bullitproof.

How does your roof lock?

I was as nervous as you in the beginning.

Then I decided to have myself an attitude adjustment and treat the process of securing the roof as carefully as when I used to tow 'orrible big plastic boxes, and take it slowly. For hitching up a caravan I had a multi-step list and I went through each part of the process in order, and heaven help anyone who interrupted me! And never had a problem apart from the one time I ~STUPIDLY~ allowed someone else to "secure" the jockey wheel . . .

So, work out how to safely and correctly lower your roof, practise as many times at home as necessary, and just go slowly. Yes, you will hear the occasional horror story about roofs which open when they should not, but weigh that up against how many miles are driven safely and successfully with roofs that stay closed!

I can hear a lot of wind coming through it and im trying not to go over 70mph and ignore it.

Do you have an awning attached?

Maybe the wind noise is coming from the awning canister, not the pop top (and if you HAVE got wind coming in through the roof it definitely isn't closed/fitted properly). My van has the ubiquitous Fiamma F45s contraption fitted and it makes a hell of a noise over 55/60mph.

Back