Pop Top Access Ladder.

AlanM

VIP Member
Using seat and seat back is OK but would prefer a ladder. Any suggestions for one which fits a T6 Ocean please?
Alan

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience with a California roof ladder in a non California ?

My good lady struggles with back problems and climbing on passenger seat to get into pop top in not best idea so I was thinking about one ???

@Pauly Hello Sir.. Is this something you can get for me via forum shop ?
Price and availability please.

Thank you

Romany

If it’s a genuine VW part I can certainly get you a price and supply a part number

But is it a genuine VW part/accessory ?
Not seen one before

There are no VW brand ones, only aftermarket.

Hello.

We now have our VW base van (it's a SWB T5) and we are planning planning on converting it into a very lovely campervan.
However, I am a bit of a shortarse (5ft 2ins) and will struggle to get into the roof bed so we are looking into ways to make it easier.
We have seen there is a ladder on the california forum thing (I look on their shop for ideas) that folds in two for easy storage. Has anyone tried this with a normal roof bed and single captains chairs?? Does it fit okay?? Any other suggestions to make it easier, not keen to climb up on the chairs, etc.

Thanks for any responses.

I thought kids were meant to go in the roof with the a dolts downstairs sleeping fitfully on the rear side of what also doubles as an equally solid bench seat?

Would think most people of any height would struggle to get up there though and might explain why the arm rest/ladder rung option of a captains chair is popular?

Hello.

We now have our VW base van (it's a SWB T5) and we are planning planning on converting it into a very lovely campervan.
However, I am a bit of a shortarse (5ft 2ins) and will struggle to get into the roof bed so we are looking into ways to make it easier.
We have seen there is a ladder on the california forum thing (I look on their shop for ideas) that folds in two for easy storage. Has anyone tried this with a normal roof bed and single captains chairs?? Does it fit okay?? Any other suggestions to make it easier, not keen to climb up on the chairs, etc.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi there

I've bought one of those from the California Forum Shop.
Same reason as you, although i can hop up my Mrs with her bad back can not so i wanted try one. Took a punt !
We have HiLo
We have swivel passenger seat
Ladder in its bag sits behind drivers seat and kitchen unit or in tailgate area.
Its good quality ladder too, very pleased with it
Makes access to roof so so easy and safer and saves standing on seat
We swivel seat first ladder sits on floor in front of swiveled seat for access to roof when needed, it will also just stand between seats too but bit tighter as I have an off set swivel base !
We set up the bed in day with self inflating mats (AlpKit Dozers) and a down duvet and pillows then push up the bed board into roof space with everything set up. I then separate the ladder and pop it up there too out the way, works for us !
I also use the ladder for washing drying and waxing my roof
It doesn't attach to the roof like with a California and crudely I've wrapped a towel over top when using for washing or roof access, I need to find some rubber feet or something.

Hope this is some use to you
Apologies if its a bit of a ramble

Romany

Stay Frosty - You can request a more sturdy roof bed which will support 2 fully grown adults instead of children. We were looking to get it so that we have options available which would be good for us if we are travelling for a couple of weeks.
The problem is that I am too small and unhealthy (read fat) to make it up into the roof under my own power and I am scared that I damage the armrests if I put all my weight on them. This is why we were looking at a ladder.
:)

Romany - This is exactly the information that I wanted to know. Thank you so much for replying. I was mainly worried about the ladder fitting between the front seats as we are having a passenger swivel and a normal driver's seat. Thrilled to hear that it will kind of fit but that it can also go at the passenger side okay.
:notworthy:

Thank you both for your replies.
:D

I have a Hillside leisure Cromford van with the reverse pop top configuration, so getting up top is a little awkward for my wife and myself, so I am looking for a vertical ladder that can be hung from the rear frame of the van to avoid blocking access from wc back into the living area. Has anyone got any advise on a company that could do one for me. I have not seen any on my searches of the web.

In connection with the above, I have considered having the pop top removed and converted to a high top, does anyone think this would de value any sell on price in the future. my view is that it would spoil the appearance and obviously the option of the 2 extra spaces. Any thuoghts please.

could you not change to a front opening pop top if your thinking of changing to high top?

could you not change to a front opening pop top if your thinking of changing to high top?
Thanks for the reply, however due to the layout of the van being the reason for reverse opening. it would not work. The wc and galley area are at the rear where you need the height.

I have a Hillside leisure Cromford van with the reverse pop top configuration, so getting up top is a little awkward for my wife and myself, so I am looking for a vertical ladder that can be hung from the rear frame of the van to avoid blocking access from wc back into the living area. Has anyone got any advise on a company that could do one for me. I have not seen any on my searches of the web.

My Mrs struggles with access to pop top too, but im not sure if what I got is what your looking for ?

VW California 2 Section Bunk Ladder – Everything VW California

I got one of these fantastic and saves climbing on seats

Why does the reverse poptop (or right way round as I would call it) make it more difficult for you? Is it not designed to allow easy access to it? Mine has the front hinging roof with the kitchen/bathroom at the rear too and the units are arranged to allow stepping up to it. I wouldn't have a hardtop fitted, it will cost you a lot and reduce the value of your van, much better to sell it and get something that suits you better.

Back