Polished rims - bad idea?

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve got my eye on some lovely polished rims but had some diamond cut rims on a previous car and they just corroded. Is anyone running polished rims over the British winter and is it doable if wheels are coated? I guess a bit of kerb rash would accelerate them going downhill?

Cheers

Others may have differing views on this but I would say it's all down to discipline. Coating them will certainly offer more protection but once anything gets underneath it just looks a mess. If you can keep on top of regular cleaning then any finish should last. Regular husbandry keeps corrosion at bay but also requires less effort than if left too long between cleans.

I'm having issues with stone impacts chipping the lacquer at the edge of the diamond cut and then the lacquer lifting on my set of VW 18 inch Palmerstons, mostly the rear passenger side.

I wouldn't choose this type of wheel, no matter how much I wash or wax it won't stop the verge gravel hitting the wheel. Such are the things you compromise on if you're buying second hand.

For whatever reason VW diamond cut wheels are prone to white worm. I had my Sportline wheels powder coated because of it. This time, without the diamond cut edges. Saves all the hassle.
However, I've run various Volvos with diamond cut wheels over the past decade or so without an issue.
It’s a pity Volvo don’t make vans like their trucks.

hmm yeah my experience hasn’t been great. It’s annoying as I actually want a gunmetal finish version but no stock anywhere and discontinued. I was talking myself into doing the polished ones then just getting refurbs to gunmetal when they start going bad. Will have to think

Back