Plywood recommendation - interior panels, roof and one-piece floors

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve been searching and searching and cannot really find a recommendation of what paneling ply and where to get it from. Van is a SWB window van with 8 seats.

I was going to buy 6mm pre cut panels off ebay to carpet and replace the wetabix OEM panels. Have read many horror stories and been advised 6mm too thick.

So I have all the OEM panels to copy so have decided to get some ply and make my own.

So the research dilemma is what ply? Thickness, wood type, water resistance etc etc. And whats the target price for 8x4 sheets?

We live quite near James Latham (leicester) who might be a good place to go. (They sell 4mm ply)

Any help / advice greatly appreciated!

Ian

I’ve been searching and searching and cannot really find a recommendation of what paneling ply and where to get it from. Van is a SWB window van with 8 seats.

I was going to buy 6mm pre cut panels off ebay to carpet and replace the wetabix OEM panels. Have read many horror stories and been advised 6mm too thick.

So I have all the OEM panels to copy so have decided to get some ply and make my own.

So the research dilemma is what ply? Thickness, wood type, water resistance etc etc. And whats the target price for 8x4 sheets?

We live quite near James Latham (leicester) who might be a good place to go. (They sell 4mm ply)

Any help / advice greatly appreciated!

Ian
The 4mm ply is actually 3.6mm, ask them for “hardwood though out(HTO) or “Malayan” plywood and you shouldn’t pay more than £7 or £8 for an 8 x 4 sheet. The 6mm ply is actually 5.5mm @ £10. I have sold lots of that to van liners so it shouldn’t be a problem, again HTO or Malayan. If you go cheaper you will end up with a poplar core and that’s just s**t as it will delaminate

Do you know if James Latham sell to the general public? I couldn’t work out from their website if they are just trade only.

I’ve been thinking about using 15mm Garnica Efficiency ply for making a bed frame and units.

Also we used 3.6/4mm ply for the wall panels and I definitely wouldn’t go any thicker. They need a bit of flex as nothing is a flat surface and all the clips are designed for that thickness.

Do you know if James Latham sell to the general public? I couldn’t work out from their website if they are just trade only.

I’ve been thinking about using 15mm Garnica Efficiency ply for making a bed frame and units.

Just phoned them - in non-covid times they do have a trade counter and sell direct to Joe public.

Got a price on 3.6 Malayan ply 8x4 - £15.50 + vat so a bit pricey!!

Being technical you need to ask for Far Eastern Tropical hardwood plywood with WBP glue and grade B/BB.
each sheet should have the glue and grade clearly stamped on it in one corner.
As mentioned earlier beware of cheap Chinese plywood but James Latham are a very reputable company so they should know exactly what you want
If someone offers WBP ask them to explain, as WBP ( weather & Boil Proof) was superseded about 20 years ago. Ask them if it is class 1,2 or 3 glue

If someone offers WBP ask them to explain, as WBP ( weather & Boil Proof) was superseded about 20 years ago. Ask them if it is class 1,2 or 3 glue

Every day a school day! What do the classes mean?

Local indy wood yard has Malayan at £10.86 a sheet + vat and is open!

Ian

i stand corrected and suddenly I feel old, was it really 20 years ago - where did the time go?

Reactions: Eli
Every day a school day! What do the classes mean?

Local indy wood yard has Malayan at £10.86 a sheet + vat and is open!

Ian
  • Bond Class 1: Dry conditions ‒ interior applications with no risk of wetting.
  • Bond Class 2: Humid conditions ‒ protected exterior conditions e.g. behind cladding or under roof coverings.
  • Bond Class 3: Exterior conditions ‒ unprotected exterior conditions over sustained periods.

• Bond Class 1: Dry conditions ‒ interior applications with no risk of wetting.
  • Bond Class 2: Humid conditions ‒ protected exterior conditions e.g. behind cladding or under roof coverings.
  • Bond Class 3: Exterior conditions ‒ unprotected exterior conditions over sustained periods.

One thing I didn't know or check for....
My roof panels I made out of 3.6mm are bending into some wired and wonderful shapes. The thing that pees me off is the lining I used is out of stock.

Just phoned them - in non-covid times they do have a trade counter and sell direct to Joe public.

Got a price on 3.6 Malayan ply 8x4 - £15.50 + vat so a bit pricey!!
Rip off, try Hanson ply.

Our local indy wood merchant has malayan HTO ply @ £12 a sheet incl vat. Just need to check the glue spec.

Thanks for your help

Ian

Reactions: Eli
Hi,

I'm just in the process of panelling my van, I went for 3mm Chinese plywood for the roof panels and 6mm Chinese plywood for the wall panels. The 3mm is really flexible and the 6mm bends nicely, both sizes are great to work with, doesn't splinter easily either.
I also cut the floor our of a 10ft x 5ft sheet of 12mm Birch ply

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

Any recommendations of where to get a 10x5 sheet of 12mm ply for the floor? I'm in Northamptonshire if that makes a difference.

Won't fit in the van for transport either so assume those of you who've done it have had it delivered?

Any recommendations of where to get a 10x5 sheet of 12mm ply for the floor? I'm in Northamptonshire if that makes a difference.

Won't fit in the van for transport either so assume those of you who've done it have had it delivered?
Find a local CNC company to router the floor for you so when you go to pick it up it will drop straight in

We use SP101 ply when laying vinyl or lvt flooring, top quality ply, no hollow spots in it and won’t delaminate, it will probably cost you a bit more but is worth the extra.

We use SP101 ply when laying vinyl or lvt flooring, top quality ply, no hollow spots in it and won’t delaminate, it will probably cost you a bit more but is worth the extra.
From Hanson Plywood

15914382303533618102477552635075.jpg
That's the stuff I used and it went all outa shape.
This is class 2 is it not....?

Back