'Plug and play' solar panels.

Ricardo T

Now or Never
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So looking to boost my solar for off grid...currently have roof mounted solar and leisure battery and wanting to add to for more flexibility.
Don't have too much of an idea when it comes to this tbh.....every day is a school day.....but would a portable folding solar panel assist with this? For example would a Bluefusion 120w panel be plug and play? Thanks guys (@Dellmassive) :thumbsup: Current set up below..

tempImagesrSXV5.png

yes . . pretty much.

The BlueFusion is a plug and play kit that can be connected to any 12v battery.

more on that here:

you could also intergrade it into you existing setup by just adding some MC4 fly-leads and connecting just the bluefusion solar panel to you Photonic Universe PWM solar controller . . . in parallel with your roof mounted panel.

id also look at upgrading that solar controller for a nice MPPT one . . . like the Victron 75/15 as an example.

you can add some MC4 connectors to your existing solar controller here:

1621094223611.png

like these:

1621094279787.png

then get an MC4 solar extension cable . . . like these. and run the leads out the van to your new mobile panels.

1621094362645.png

Then just connect direct to the panel . .

1621094452627.png

or . . .

use the solar controller that come with the solar panel . . .

then just connect to the leisure 12v battery . . with the clamps or 12v plug.

solar options here :

id recommend upgrading that PVM controller to this MPPT controller. ( a direct swap)

1621094736276.png.

75/15

1621094870950.png

+++

or the larger 100/15

1621094758758.png

you can add some MC4 connectors to your existing solar controller here:

View attachment 116225

like these:

View attachment 116226

then get an MC4 solar extension cable . . . like these. and run the leads out the van to your new mobile panels.

View attachment 116227

Then just connect direct to the panel . .

View attachment 116228

or . . .

use the solar controller that come with the solar panel . . .

then just connect to the leisure 12v battery . . with the clamps or 12v plug.
Are those Saronic panels any good?

Dont know, I've not tested them.

Just using as an example...

The spec show a low power output.... 21v @ 6.6A for 200w is low? Id expect 12A.

Could be a typo.... the only way to know for sure is testing.

I have an Anderson plug mounted discreetly on the sill under drivers door. This is wired in parallel to my permanent roof mounted panel.
I can connect up to 2 panels in to it when needed.
Especially good when van parked in the shade and you can put the panel/s out in the sun.
Or have all panels connected to maximize solar input on a cloudy day.
Only limit is how many amps my mppt solar controller can use.

Can you remote monitor the MPPT 75/15 controller, doesn't look like you can?
Yes you can....

the MPPTs , they come in two versions . . . one with Bluetooth and one with out (smart solar & Bluesolar)

the bluetooth version (SmartSolar) has local monitoring. - via the APP.

you can connect the Victron kit to the cloud via the Free VRM portal - VRM Portal - Victron Energy

you need a "box" to connect the victron kit to the cloud - either Raspbery Pie, Lomax or Sim Box.

and once setup you can also use the same APP, for local via Bluetooth or Remote via VRM Cloud.

but its all easy and basically plug and play.

the kit conects via the VE-Direct port on the victron kit.

1621155308814.png

here is my VRM solar shed which is online . . .

this is the console:

1621154563960.png1621154491993.png

this is the MPPT 100/20

1621154514357.png

this is the BMV712

1621154540604.png

this is the VRM loggin page.

1621154604950.png

and some of todays data . . .
1621154644678.png

i went down the Pie route to get mine online.

but they now do an all in one box SIM based with 5yrs included data .

1621155176293.png

Remote Monitoring and Control​

Remotely control and monitor the extensive features of your SmartSolar MPPT charger with built-in Bluetooth by pairing it with your smartphone or other device via VictronConnect. If your installation is connected to the internet with a GX device, the Victron Remote Management Portal (VRM) provides access to the full power of your MPPT, anytime, anywhere; both VictronConnect and VRM are free to use. For remote installations - even when there is no internet connection nearby - you may be able to monitor your MPPT by connecting the GlobalLink 520.

1621154529201.png

What are people replacing the croc clips with for a permanent set up to the the battery that can be disconnected ? i.e. a short lead and connectors

Just looked at that portable blue fusion kit.
I have 0 controllers for any form of solar, so this kit literally is out the bag, onto my leisure battery and away you go?
Seems to easy?

What are people replacing the croc clips with for a permanent set up to the the battery that can be disconnected ? i.e. a short lead and connectors
any connectors you like provided its rated for the max current . . . 5A, 10A, 15A.

Anderson connectors are popular. 50A max

1621178686208.png
++++

1621178804593.png
++++

1621178769729.png

++++

as are power pole : 30A max

1621178733042.png

++++

have a look at the quick disconects over here:

++++

i like these Victron cables / . . . .

1621178917223.png

++++

just get this cable and cut it in half for both sides of the conector . . . job done.

1621178984888.png

I have an Anderson plug mounted discreetly on the sill under drivers door. This is wired in parallel to my permanent roof mounted panel.
I can connect up to 2 panels in to it when needed.
Especially good when van parked in the shade and you can put the panel/s out in the sun.
Or have all panels connected to maximize solar input on a cloudy day.
Only limit is how many amps my mppt solar controller can use.
Any chance of a bit more detail/pic please and is there an easy route in the cab area? Sounds better than going through my slightly open window!!

@Scarfaz1 I bought the two cables from my Anderson plug into the cab via the rubber grommet that is under the drivers seat as that is close to my battery.
Try to keep all solar cables as short as possible.
You can also come through the firewall in the engine bay but could be more stuffing around.
Another grommet is under the passenger seat, depends where your leisure battery is located.
My exterior Anderson plug has a rubber cover that keeps out moisture and in 3 years I've had no trouble.
Anderson plug is wired in parallel to cable from roof solar panel and then goes to mppt controller.
This gives me up to 500watts of solar input , that is the limit of my mppt controller but charges leisure battery quicker which is what I wanted in hot weather due to fridge cycling more often and drawing more power.

@Scarfaz1 I bought the two cables from my Anderson plug into the cab via the rubber grommet that is under the drivers seat as that is close to my battery.
Try to keep all solar cables as short as possible.
You can also come through the firewall in the engine bay but could be more stuffing around.
Another grommet is under the passenger seat, depends where your leisure battery is located.
My exterior Anderson plug has a rubber cover that keeps out moisture and in 3 years I've had no trouble.
Anderson plug is wired in parallel to cable from roof solar panel and then goes to mppt controller.
This gives me up to 500watts of solar input , that is the limit of my mppt controller but charges leisure battery quicker which is what I wanted in hot weather due to fridge cycling more often and drawing more power.
@AussieMick Cheers for that, my battery and controller are also under driver's seat so sounds good. Trying to find the easiest quickest way to connect without having to open windows or bonnet etc.

Back