Please explain to me like I’m a 5 year old!

pdnadders

Afternoon all.

I’m sure someone will be able to help with this, however I need it explaining to me like I’m a 5 year old. And a ‘not very clever’ 5 year old at that!

The long and short of it is that my vehicle battery seems to be discharging over a period of a few days, getting down to 12.2v and then happily staying at that! From what I’ve read on here, 12.2v is suggesting that the battery is only half charged?

For clarity, my van was a factory Kombi on a ‘22 plate. So basically 5 months old. I’ve recently had it converted in two stages, using 2 different converters as they each offered different options. Both very reputable companies and who worked with each other to make sure when the vehicle went for the second fit, everything was in order.

It has a split charge system with 160w solar panel. I’ve just done 2000 miles around Europe and apart from one blip where I got a ‘vehicle battery low’ warning from my Metatrak app, it’s been absolutely faultless.

I’ve searched through the forums but the technical language when it comes to electrics is waaaaaay over my head. I’m just concerned that I’ve got an issue somewhere.

If anyone could offer any help, I’d really appreciate.

Many thanks in advance

37B79A0C-A0C4-48A4-8D10-D905C4D2D837.png

3381A901-3748-4888-80DB-50E30FCCA5BE.png

147250F1-26C6-4FDB-B842-653901875345.png

3ED9DB7D-A878-4B6F-8FD7-1BF9C8C05142.png

I wouldn't be concerned at all about that.

The vehicle battery is only charged to about 80% by the alternator to leave enough head room to dump energy when braking. This is the whole 'smart alternator' thing. This is why you should have a DC-DC charger for your leisure battery and not a relay.

Show us some pics of your setup.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about that.

The vehicle battery is only charged to about 80% by the alternator to leave enough head room to dump energy when braking. This is the whole 'smart alternator' thing. This is why you should have a DC-DC charger for your leisure battery and not a relay.

Show us some pics of your setup.
Good luck deciphering this!! Haha

Unfortunately (certainly in terms of accessing to take useful pics) most of the set up is under the driver’s seat. If you can work any out from these then hats off to you because, although everything is neatly coiled/protected etc…. It’s a bugger to get to without removing the seat.

This could be a valuable lesson!

D801414D-7352-4176-8BF3-D22677661DBB.jpeg

12FB34D8-7035-408B-965E-ED527204ACED.jpeg

4342C3D3-B2C8-4502-80D1-03DD8F3677F3.jpeg

ECA3856E-2194-4EA2-844D-4092755CF95C.jpeg

B2C46E21-1C98-40A8-9C27-B0654439BF88.jpeg

The starter battery on our T6 sits at 12.2v for weeks. It always starts instantly.
I would only worry about it if the starter motor turns over sluggishly.

Pete

The starter battery on our T6 sits at 12.2v for weeks. It always starts instantly.
I would only worry about it if the starter motor turns over sluggishly.

Pete
Thanks for the response! That’s really good to know. It starts instantly. I was hoping that the 12.2v was something to do with the smart alternator and wasn’t anything to worry about. It seems that may be the case and I’m getting my knickers in a twist for nothing.

I didn’t want to start another thread about battery drain as there’s loads but I couldn’t get my head around the technical answers. Electrics aren’t my strong point!

Thanks for the response! That’s really good to know. It starts instantly. I was hoping that the 12.2v was something to do with the smart alternator and wasn’t anything to worry about. It seems that may be the case and I’m getting my knickers in a twist for nothing.

I didn’t want to start another thread about battery drain as there’s loads but I couldn’t get my head around the technical answers. Electrics aren’t my strong point!
You have a CTEK DC-DC charger for charging your leisure battery while driving and a Victron Smartsolar charging your leisure battery from your solar panel. All good, nothing to worry about there :)

I’ve got a Metatrak too and monitor battery through the app like you do. Also have solar on the roof and all the gubbins that in theory helps keep battery topped up if the leisure battery is full, which it is most of the time.

12.2v wouldn’t phase me at all. Had a low battery alert on Meta once when it got to 11.9. I usually plug mine into hook up for a couple of days when it gets to 12.1v. This time of the year, I could happily leave it for 3-4 weeks without needing to do that if I haven’t used it. In the winter, especially if cold, that will be more like 2 weeks if not used.

But a drive soon sorts it out. Was at 12.1v today, and after a short 15min drive it’s back to 12.4.

You have a CTEK DC-DC charger for charging your leisure battery while driving and a Victron Smartsolar charging your leisure battery from your solar panel. All good, nothing to worry about there :)
Really appreciate the response and for putting my mind at rest. Couldn’t get my head around why it would discharge by about .1v per day and then chill out when it got down to 12.2v just sit there. I thought maybe there was a fault on my starter battery.

Thanks so much

Really appreciate the response and for putting my mind at rest. Couldn’t get my head around why it would discharge by about .1v per day and then chill out when it got down to 12.2v just sit there. I thought maybe there was a fault on my starter battery.

Thanks so much
I was the same as you untill it was explained to me, those figure's are very similar to mine so I wouldn't worry at all

12.2v is totally normal.

That's what my starter battery would normally rest at.

Then very slowly drop over three weeks untill flat at 11.9v.

Then probably a fail to start by the 4th week.

Back