Conversion 3 years on

Wezzo

Just before lockdown I bought a T6 and had it converted….long story of parts shortages, variable fitters and being stuck in lockups while we were all at home. Well that was 3-4 years ago and we’ve had a blast in the van since it’s been finished. However now I have some little niggles I’d appreciate some advice on.

- first off the ride. My van is a T30 and it’s horrible on Uk roads full of potholes etc.. I figure that the van was originally a commercial so would a suspension upgrade improve things? If so what are people using.

- I had a Reimo roof fitted and it looks to have moved out of line and doesn’t sit correctly over the windscreen. Also got an overhead rattle. Is it possible to realign it

- the seat we went for was the Reimo Variotech slider. Again this seems to rattle. Any tips on what to tighten etc.?

- I opted for the 2nd battery from VW. I believe this isn’t a leisure battery as every know and then I can hear a relay click and my phone switching to charge or otherwise. Is it right to assume I need to abandon this in favour of a split charger that will isolate the van battery completely?

- I’ve got a 105W solar running a Webasto Cruise Eligance. How long should my battery last. I know that’s difficult to answer but all I run is a few LED interior lights and it doesn’t seem to last long.

- Gonna go for a set of 18” wheels, probably Wolfrace Turismo. If I’m gonna do the suspension should I get this done before the wheels.

thanks

- first off the ride. My van is a T30 and it’s horrible on Uk roads full of potholes etc.. I figure that the van was originally a commercial so would a suspension upgrade improve things? If so what are people using

.- Gonna go for a set of 18” wheels, probably Wolfrace Turismo. If I’m gonna do the suspension should I get this done before the wheels.

Deffo speak to @CRS Performance. Lots of recommendations and positive reviews here on the forum.

Reimo Roof - yes, my old T5 with Reimo did this after a while. Slack off the screws on the roof hinges and you can move it back into line. You may need to do the ones holding roof to hinge, as well as hinge to van.

Variotech rattles - make sure the locking levers are completely secure. There are some possible adjustments down there. Also check all the various bolts are tight - I found a couple of loose ones. On mine there was a grommet popped out where the locking lever went through a frame. I still have a couple more squeaks to track down though.

Battery - if this is original VW and 3 years old, it is probably time to get a lithium battery and a proper DCDC charger.

If you are changing wheels, do the suspension after, so that CRS can set them up perfectly.

Just before lockdown I bought a T6 and had it converted….long story of parts shortages, variable fitters and being stuck in lockups while we were all at home. Well that was 3-4 years ago and we’ve had a blast in the van since it’s been finished. However now I have some little niggles I’d appreciate some advice on.

- first off the ride. My van is a T30 and it’s horrible on Uk roads full of potholes etc.. I figure that the van was originally a commercial so would a suspension upgrade improve things? If so what are people using.

- I had a Reimo roof fitted and it looks to have moved out of line and doesn’t sit correctly over the windscreen. Also got an overhead rattle. Is it possible to realign it

- the seat we went for was the Reimo Variotech slider. Again this seems to rattle. Any tips on what to tighten etc.?

- I opted for the 2nd battery from VW. I believe this isn’t a leisure battery as every know and then I can hear a relay click and my phone switching to charge or otherwise. Is it right to assume I need to abandon this in favour of a split charger that will isolate the van battery completely?

- I’ve got a 105W solar running a Webasto Cruise Eligance. How long should my battery last. I know that’s difficult to answer but all I run is a few LED interior lights and it doesn’t seem to last long.

- Gonna go for a set of 18” wheels, probably Wolfrace Turismo. If I’m gonna do the suspension should I get this done before the wheels.

thanks
This trail of development we see every day in our store and with all the excitement of getting the van exactly how you want it . Sadly adding all this weight is causing other issues that you probably weren't excepting. The poor ride is inevitable and primarily its caused by the addition of the conversion weight and its affect on the chassis dynamics .

( At this point normally some clever clogs will say the 450 kilo conversion is well with in the tare weight of the van it shouldn't be an issue !!! )

Here are some of the problems.

The additional weight isnt "load" anymore it permanent and has increased the weight of the van considerably , we there fore need to treat it differently .

The first problem is fitting suspension kits designed for empty vans , This wont help at all because it isnt addressing the problem.

The next problem is the rear of the van sagging from the added weight, this affects the steering makes it light and unresponsive in understeer situations

The pop top roof is a big chunk of the added weight and its completely in the wrong part of the van ( High up ) causing body roll and pitch

The answer is simple "Evo Technik Definition" a modular kit that we can spec to suit you , your van and what you do with it ,
These kits address the weight problem , level the chassis , improve comfort , handling , and generally make the van drive more car like !
If the budget can cope add the H&R anti roll bars as well to round off the perfect set up .

Please feel free to chat to us before you make any decision , we often see clients spending tons of money on the wrong stuff and this gets frustrating and costly

Regards Steve

Thanks all and thanks Steve. The problem I have isn’t under steer it’s just that the ride is jarring when going over bumps. last week I had a lift in a T6 people carrier from La Plagne along some pretty poor roads and the ride was a lot better. You are right though I have quite a bit of sag at the back due to the conversion.

Ill go have a look at the Seat this afternoon but leave the roof till it warms up!

Thanks all

What size wheels do you have now? That can also make a difference and if you had 20s fitted especially so. I’ve got 19 on standard suspension and it’s not great. Heading to see crs shortly and considering doing 20s then

Thq do some rear spring to stop camper sag not cheap but definitely made a difference on my van. Mine is a work van though but always loaded.

Thanks all and thanks Steve. The problem I have isn’t under steer it’s just that the ride is jarring when going over bumps. last week I had a lift in a T6 people carrier from La Plagne along some pretty poor roads and the ride was a lot better. You are right though I have quite a bit of sag at the back due to the conversion.

Ill go have a look at the Seat this afternoon but leave the roof till it warms up!

Thanks all
Steve turned my very jarring ride into a very relaxing one after he tended to mine a couple of weeks ago! It was also my major complaint.

Back