Plastic Water

Daveyblue

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of the plastic taste of the water form the tank, my van is a new conversion but the water always has a strange taste even when I fill it straight form the house hose pipe.

Thanks, I had no idea what Milton was until I mentioned it to my wife and she used it to sterilise the kids baby bottles with it.

Thanks for the help.

Also try Bicarb, mixed in with a tank of water & leave it for a few days, then empty it out. A good teaspoon/5l should do it.

Do you guys use the water in your tanks for drinking water? I've been unsure whether to or not since getting our conversion. Wont there always be some stale dregs sitting in the tank even after emptying after each trip? Will save me fridge space if its fine to use.....

Do you guys use the water in your tanks for drinking water? I've been unsure whether to or not since getting our conversion. Wont there always be some stale dregs sitting in the tank even after emptying after each trip? Will save me fridge space if its fine to use.....
To try and cut down on use of throw away plastic drinking water bottles we have started drinking water from our tank (always used it for coffee/tea but now use for cold drinking water as well). We use these in the tank and fill our Britta filter bottles to drink from:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018337GW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When we had the caravan we drank it all the time and will do the same in the camper. I sterilised the system each year with puriclean then during the year when not in use made sure the barrel was emptied and the top left off so dregs can evaporate but always rinsed it out before first fill up of a holiday.

I use a food grade hose to fill and I don't drink the water except for coffee, though mainly because I only have a 32l tank. I fill pop bottles with tap water and keep one in the fridge and 3 in the passenger door bin.

I work in the water industry, trust me, drinking out of your onboard tank is the least of your worries
grin.gif

Our home water is terrible. It tastes minging, everything gets scaled up, hate to think what its doing to the water heater in the van.
Some time ago we had a mains burst to the village and after a few days the Water Board sent a letter saying that a temporary plastic pipe had been run across the fields from the adjacent village. About a year later we had a letter saying that due to lack of infrastructure funding the temporary solution was now considered permanent, and its been like that every since!

So, in comparison, the water from the van tank tastes pretty much the same. Generally, its tea, coffee & washing up water, but if we'd no bottled I'd have no problem drinking it. Bottled does taste nicer but I dont think its the tank's fault, just the poor water that goes in it!
Cheers
Phil

I use a food grade hose to fill and I don't drink the water except for coffee, though mainly because I only have a 32l tank. I fill pop bottles with tap water and keep one in the fridge and 3 in the passenger door bin.

You must use a food grade hose to fill. With brass connectors. Run water through every time to wash out hose. Disconnect from tap after washing through add the additive to the hose. Connect back to tap other end in van filler and fill.

Back