Fresh water system deep-clean!

I drain my cold and hot water systems down as soon as frost is forecast. If the van is used in the winter months we take drinking water in a 10L water carrier. I flush the system through at the beginning and end of winter with Puriclean which I leave in the system for 30 minutes then go for a drive and drain out. My camper has a Fiamma locking filler cap so I use a hose or a water container to fill the water tank. Although I’ve got a 30L tank, I generally don’t drive around with more than 5L of water in the water tank at any one time as it’s just extra weight to drag around.

Last edited:
My fresh and grey water tanks are slung underneath. The fresh water tank is filled via a hoselock connecter on the back end. These tanks have no other access so the only way to sterilise them is to take the 3” dump cover off, after emptying the tank of course, then chucking some purifying tablets up through the hole, refilling and driving it around for a shake up. Seems be ok for washing bodies and cleaning dishes although to avoid any risk of Delhi belly, my family still insist on using only bottled drinking water.

I'm presuming @interbear has got a Bullfinch inlet point, in which case a funnel won't fit.

I checked this morning.

We have a Bullfinch port for the shower outlet. But the water inlet port is just a lockable port with a hole to insert a hose for filling it up. So I assume I’m going to have to attach a funnel to a length of hose and put the diluted water purifier in that way. Or something like that. I found a useful video from Jerba covering exactly this topic (and I also bought the water purifier liquid used in this video, via Amazon).

See pics:

IMG-6039.jpg

IMG-6040.jpg

See Jerba video:

I checked this morning.

We have a Bullfinch port for the shower outlet. But the water inlet port is just a lockable port with a hole to insert a hose for filling it up. So I assume I’m going to have to attach a funnel to a length of hose and put the diluted water purifier in that way. Or something like that. I found a useful video from Jerba covering exactly this topic (and I also bought the water purifier liquid used in this video, via Amazon).

See pics:

View attachment 233849

View attachment 233850

See Jerba video:

Great news as it makes it a bit easier. I have a length of food grade hose I use for filling so I’d advise you get same and keep in your van in a bag. Halfords, eBay and leisure shops all sell them. I think I grabbed mine from Halfords.

Back