Planar Diesel Heater - Road Debris, Water Ingress and a Warning From History.

Its called conformal coating. (YouTube it for more info )

Most automotive PCBs have it.

As above some firms also coat the PCB and chips in black epoxy to stop reverse engineering or hacking... (ie copy protection chips in games consoles etc)

If you take a PCB board thats like the planar one, pretty sketchy, can you dip it in a resin to completely coat it or would you be having issues with heat build up etc.
I've seen the link with the paint on stuff, but could you dip the whole thing in something to coat it?
Without knowing what is exactly on the Planar boards I wouldn't like to say yea or nay but most components should be able to be coated.

PCB copying is still rife, I used to see it a lot on old arcade games and potting was a common way of trying to defeat the counterfeiters.

Donkey Kong/Crazy Kong and Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man, both latter versions started off as illegal clones.

Also common to scratch off the identifiers on IC’s to throw the clone companies off the scent.

I suspect they potted some of that pcb to protect vulnerable components with the added benefit of making it impossible to repair (a pet hate of mine) and to prevent the Chinese from making cheap pcb replacement

You can’t coat components that get hot, such as big power diodes in rectifier circuits and anything with a heat sink, plus dip switches, buzzers, battery/fuse holders etc.

Well - I've sent the unit off to be tinkered with.

Also, had an email off the manager of the factory in Marupe Russia - just asked a question regards quality
His take is pretty blunt but actually makes some sense.
The upshot being, he cannot understand why people mount heater units under the body of a moving vehicle - if people mounted them internally, water damage wouldn't be an issue - For this reason, they don't mount them underneath tanks or boats, all install are internal.

Doesn't tackle the quality issue, but it wouldn't be an issue at all, if the units were mounted inside.
Im still miffed - but now I'm miffed and I feel like a moron.... well played common sense Russia, well played.

I'd like to see ones that are designed to be mounted under boats! ( My boat installs are always inside the boat for some reason that I can't think of at present).
I prefer internally mounted heaters myself but with space limited to fit the 4Kw Webasto I used the oem mount externally. As I don't use my van as a surfboard and remember that there is a heater underneath no problem ensues.

I'd like to see ones that are designed to be mounted under boats! ( My boat installs are always inside the boat for some reason that I can't think of at present).
I prefer internally mounted heaters myself but with space limited to fit the 4Kw Webasto I used the oem mount externally. As I don't use my van as a surfboard and remember that there is a heater underneath no problem ensues.

Yeah I think he was being humorous with the boat comment
As I said, the purpose of the thread really, was to help anyone who may have the same error, you know how it is, you search for a topic and there's nothing highlighted - maybe my bad experience will help someone in the future - and I suppose it highlights what can happen if water gets shoved down its guzzler.
But its always nice to hear from the experts, that's what love about forums, nobody mocks people who's knowledge its quite on par With their own, and everyone is helpful.

So! I think we can close this down now guys - thanks to everyone for their help - I've learned some new things and im as ever, very grateful for the majority of the input - nobody knows everything do they and its nice to have these chats.

Last edited:
I’ve got the same heater in the same place and my undertray is smashed in the same place.
Obviously needs replacing.
Is this a dealer only part?
Will it be special order from TPS?
My TPS problem is that the one I use which allowed non trade is now delivery only and has no counter-so effectively due to covid has become trade only.

I’ve got the same heater in the same place and my undertray is smashed in the same place.
Obviously needs replacing.
Is this a dealer only part?
Will it be special order from TPS?
My TPS problem is that the one I use which allowed non trade is now delivery only and has no counter-so effectively due to covid has become trade only.
Cancel that, I’ve found the info using the search function.

I must admit, this makes me want to check my undertray in that position.
I did ask my installer about wading floods with a Webasto heater there (and VB air components on the other side), and was re-assured that all would be OK for both items.
But a hole in that location would be best addressed if possible.

Think I will look at local metal fabricator and have a protective cover made as only just collect camper so still shinny underneath......

When I fitted my planar heater underbody, I made a thin metal plate that riveted to my heater support bracket. It is between the heater and plastic panel. It acts like a bash gaurd if I break the plastic underbelly panel. It protects the heater from moisture and debris ( I hope). Gives 2 layers of guards to protect heater. So far so good.

I’ve seen a video on YouTube from an Aussie company that makes/installs stainless steel underbody bash guards for T6s.

Or like planar manager said - relocate it inside the vehicle and water won't be an issue.
makes perfect sense lol.

Back