Photography

Question for the serious photographers.

SWMBO seems to have an eye for this. She likes the point and shoot of an accessible phone. I wonder if the complexity of a proper camera (f stop, shutter speed, different lenses) may detract from her enjoyment / impulsiveness.

Is there a digital camera out there that will improve the shot or should we upgrade her phone to get the best camera?

I still have a Trip 35 and XA2 :)

Ian

Question for the serious photographers.

SWMBO seems to have an eye for this. She likes the point and shoot of an accessible phone. I wonder if the complexity of a proper camera (f stop, shutter speed, different lenses) may detract from her enjoyment / impulsiveness.

Is there a digital camera out there that will improve the shot or should we upgrade her phone to get the best camera?

I still have a Trip 35 and XA2 :)

Ian
It depends on a lot of things, two main points for me would be...

Is she interested to learn about photography, more the manual side of things?

Or is she just point and shoot and happy with that?

You need to answer them questions first, any reasonable camera will be better than a phone. Phones are good but rely on heavy processing, you can tell if you try to view them on a decent monitor or print them out. If your never going to do that then the argument for buying a decent camera phone is not a bad one!

I don’t think getting a new phone with a better camera will improve photos, or very marginal. Yes some phone cameras are better then others, but the cost of a new phone isn’t worth the update.

@racerke600 stunning Photo. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the complexity of a proper camera (f stop, shutter speed, different lenses) may detract from her enjoyment / impulsiveness.
I think SWMBO will enjoy and have no problem using an SLR camera. You can still point & shoot ( set on auto ) .
Unless you go full Manual, the camera will still help you out.

Then just enjoy playing and learning in different setting modes. :thumbsup:

Please thank SWMBO for Sharing her photos on here, maybe she will join the forum? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
2020-10-17 12-27-47 - Sony.JPG

Humphrey Head Point, south Cumbria, with Heysham Power Station in the distance.

I treated myself to a Canon Ixus 285. I wanted something very small, but also easy to use and with reasonable zoom. I have just realised that @Ghost has one!

I didn't want one where I had to think about the settings, and this seemed to fit the bill. Once I figured out how to turn off the smart focus and just have a simple central auto-focus, it has been great, fast to turn on, good quality pictures (enough for my PC screen anyway). The only downside is no water-resistance, which our old Olympus has, but my Sony phone is used when it is wet.

Back