Personal number plates

Will I look like a Prat?

• Yes, remember your roots

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • No, aspire to rise above your station

Votes: 61 81.3%

• Total voters
Interested in knowing what folks think about 4D gel plates...ostentatious and vulgar, or sassy with bit of attitude?

View attachment 87833
Hi..for me ...with the van ..it’s OEM Classic looks with a hint of personality.....for some it’s Mean moody and aggressive with colour accents....let the van talk for you not the plate ..keep it simple

Edit...But with a nice German style number plate holder it’s even nicer :)

Love reading all these, I like a clever number plate!

I prefer ones that have a personal significance.. I recently bought JL05 BUS.... JLo has been a username/nickname for me since my first day of work (way before that Jennifer Jopez snaffled it up)

Haven't got it assigned to vehicle yet though.

Hopefully nobody minds me asking this here - Can anyone tell me the bolt size for holding on the rear plate holder on a barn door? When I got my van the previous owner had simply screwed through the plate into the barn door metal!!! When I put my plate on I just taped it on with double sided but I noticed there were 2 threaded holes which I assume are used to fix a plate holder in place? I want to make sure I have all the correct bits before I remove my plate again

also would the plate holder come supplied with these bolts?

Interested in knowing what folks think about 4D gel plates...ostentatious and vulgar, or sassy with bit of attitude?

View attachment 87833
It's a no from me. They make it look like you're trying too hard.

I don't think you can beat a nice, short, simple plate. Legal font, no borders or bollox. Plates for cars do nice ones with the tiniest BS number and postcode tucked up in the corner so that you can barely see it.

It's a no from me. They make it look like you're trying too hard.

I don't think you can beat a nice, short, simple plate. Legal font, no borders or bollox. Plates for cars do nice ones with the tiniest BS number and postcode tucked up in the corner so that you can barely see it.

Totally agree with that, I was looking at those 4D plates for ages before going with standard plate but with the cleanest look possible.

Hopefully nobody minds me asking this here - Can anyone tell me the bolt size for holding on the rear plate holder on a barn door? When I got my van the previous owner had simply screwed through the plate into the barn door metal!!! When I put my plate on I just taped it on with double sided but I noticed there were 2 threaded holes which I assume are used to fix a plate holder in place? I want to make sure I have all the correct bits before I remove my plate again

also would the plate holder come supplied with these bolts?

You can buy plastic coloured bolt packs on EBay. I think it’s a standard size.

Pete

View attachment 87833
Thanks all for your views and feedback. Keep it coming. I previously had a set of these plates made up but haven’t quite decided yet whether I will am ready to flaunt my lack of style and taste in this way! I may wuss out and do the sensible thing, or may put two fingers up to common decency and go with it!

You can buy plastic coloured bolt packs on EBay. I think it’s a standard size.

Pete
It’s not the ones that go through the plate itself I’m looking for (that I can see on eBay), it’s for the two threaded holes on the barn door. I’m assuming they are there to fix a plate surround to the door?

It’s not the ones that go through the plate itself I’m looking for (that I can see on eBay), it’s for the two threaded holes on the barn door. I’m assuming they are there to fix a plate surround to the door?

I used those to mount the plate - no surround.

Pete

Dilemma - I have a 6 digit personal plate. I like the look of the shortened plates. I’ve checked the dvla website, and it would be legal.
The rear isn’t a problem, as the numb plate mounting screws are within the size of the smaller plate. However, The issue is the front. The bumper has a ‘plinth’ for the plate to mount to. Has anyone found a solution to making this smaller? I can’t find anything from research as to replacements. Is it an integral part of the bumper moulding? Or can it be removed? The dealer screwed my current plates to the top corners of the plates, so the current plinth would need replacing or repairing.
So, if there isn’t an easy solution to the front, would a small rear plate and standard front plate look wrong??? Your thoughts please

Personally, I don't think that a 6 digit registration number warrants a shortened plate. Especially as it will need the front bumper modifying to reduce the width of the mounting plinth to make it fit. Then, when you come to sell and need to fit a full size plate, what happens then?

Just so people are aware, a non standard plate fine is now £100. It used to be £60. No points though.

I've been pulled on my bike 3x in 6 or 7 yrs for a slightly smaller plate. I call it my vanity tax.

Very true. I hadn’t thought that far ahead. I’ve just had another look at the front. It’s a panel that includes the front sensor holes.

Just so people are aware, a non standard plate fine is now £100. It used to be £60. No points though.

I've been pulled on my bike 3x in 6 or 7 yrs for a slightly smaller plate. I call it my vanity tax.
The plates that I was looking at, are standard font and size, but on a narrower ‘back’. As long as you keep to the correct size border, it’s legal

Back