Permanent Live For 12v Usb Charger In Rear

Roch1969

Hi,

I’m looking to install some 12v USB chargers in the rear for when we’re travelling. Wanted to know if there is a permanent live under the passenger seat in the blocks that I can piggy back rather than pulling the dash about.

Also, I’m not running a leisure battery so wondered what effect it would have on the battery if we were parked up overnight and charging 2 phone’s from the permanent live ?

Many thanks

most 12v to 5v USB adapters I've seen still take current even when there's nothing plugged in to the USB socket, thus you will have a constant drain on the starter battery if you don't have a way of switching them off when not needed.
That said, doesn't the courtesy light in the rear have a permanent 12v supply, or does it time out after a set period?

most 12v to 5v USB adapters I've seen still take current even when there's nothing plugged in to the USB socket, thus you will have a constant drain on the starter battery if you don't have a way of switching them off when not needed.
That said, doesn't the courtesy light in the rear have a permanent 12v supply, or does it time out after a set period?

Thanks for the reply. I will be putting a switch on them so they’re not live at all times

Times out the positive supply after a set period

Hi Pauly,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m assuming this only times out once the van is locked ? Before now I’ve forgot to lock my van and the rear lights stayed on for quite a while (noticed them on my way to bed !).

These USB chargers are basically emergency points to charge our phones when we stay in the van if off grid (when mains power is available then this would be utilised).

In fairness they’ll probably never get used but don’t want to regret it at a later date.

Back