ParkPilot deactivation

Sunwhite

ParkPilot. Is it possible to turn this feature off?

Every time I select reverse gear it beeps very, very, loudly; I can then mute the audio via the touch screen but that initial very loud beep is very annoying. If I must I can live with the visual display (although I don't trust it) but I would love to turn off that initial beep and preferably the whole feature.

I have a, new to me, 2017 SWB Runner with basic features and manual gearbox. It does have the colour screen and ParkPilot but no dash button related to ParkPilot. The only button is the Stop Start deactivate button. The user manual suggests there should be a button but it covers a multiple of vehicles so it is not clear if I should have a button or not.

I did search the forum before posting but I found nothing relevant; I am new here however so if I missed an answer my apologies.

Cheers, Brian

EDIT: You can't turn the volume down only mute it once you have started it.

Last edited:
Hmmm, now I feel stupid LOL;

In my defence I never thought of that because I never turn the centre consul on unless I want the radio, which I often don't. :)
I will give it a try.

However I had hoped there was some way to disable the darn thing permanently.

Thanks for the prompt response.

If you have a standard VW head unit you can mute it.. if you have an aftermarket head unit you will need VCDS

Hi Jason,

a permanent mute would be ideal; the van is stock standard from VW Australia so I assume the head is standard. How would you mute it?

Cheers, Brian

I believe @Loz has the instructions for the standard VW head unit.

I had to go down the VCDS route as I have an aftermarket unit.

Just looked at this again and you can only mute it after it has started up.

It is the Touareg media unit that allows you to separately adjust the front and rear volume.

Yes, I tried to turn it down but the volume control has no effect. And on the screen the mute only works after that first annoying beep and if you go out of reverse and back in (as you would manoeuvering in a tight location) it turns back on.

Also as I reversed towards an obstacle the beeps came back on (even after I had muted it) and got louder and more persistent until it was a continuous tone when I touched the obstacle (agapantha flower heads hanging out over the path). OK I know that is what it is meant to do but for me it is distracting to the point of being dangerous and I would much prefer to disable the thing.
Has anyone any suggestions? It seems it is not an easy fix. I could live with it but I would prefer not too.

Cheers, Brian

Yes, I tried to turn it down but the volume control has no effect. And on the screen the mute only works after that first annoying beep and if you go out of reverse and back in (as you would manoeuvering in a tight location) it turns back on.

Also as I reversed towards an obstacle the beeps came back on (even after I had muted it) and got louder and more persistent until it was a continuous tone when I touched the obstacle (agapantha flower heads hanging out over the path). OK I know that is what it is meant to do but for me it is distracting to the point of being dangerous and I would much prefer to disable the thing.
Has anyone any suggestions? It seems it is not an easy fix. I could live with it but I would prefer not too.

Cheers, Brian
You could just unplug the pdc module. It’s pretty easy to get to. It’s on a bracket just under the dashboard. I clip the plastic cover above your feet in the footwell. In a RHD it’s tight next to the steering column. It looks like this

90DE26F9-3DFB-4048-9F6B-E83DDFEE2544.jpeg

Thanks Jason, Loz and Deaky. I'm not familiar with the VCDS system but I've found some good information on other threads here and I'm learning.

The suggestion from Deaky is appealing, does unplugging this module cause any warnings or notices on the dash? I understand that PCD stands for 'park distance control'; so it is only the park pilot? or does it have other functions?

It does sound the easiest solution for an old 'Luddite' like me. :)

Cheers

Brian

I've not tried disconnecting the module @Deaky mentions.... I would assume you would just find the front / rear sensors wouldn't work.. and only fault you would see was when interrogating through the OBD port, so no lights on the MFD... but i might be wrong...

If you have a local VCDS user near you or even Audio store with VCDS they could turn it right down without you losing the function of the sensors..? Just a thought....

Good luck..!

If you have a local VCDS user near you or even Audio store with VCDS they could turn it right down without you losing the function of the sensors..? Just a thought....
Absolutely correct :thumbsup:.

Reactions: mmi
Back