Spoiler with blistering issues

DazS

I bought my van in September this year, 72 plate. I had some optional bits added including these rear barn door spoilers.

Back in October, they started blistering, so I took it back to the outfit that fitted them for me, which was where I bought the van from also. They kindly swapped them for me. No problems. Problem solved. (Or so I thought)

Washing the van yesterday amd I've noticed they're doing it AGAIN!

Nowhere else on the van is effected, front splitter etc, just the spoilers.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Or similar?

I've sent another email to the guys I bought it from, but I'm not sure what out come to expect here.

Screenshot_20231218_124028_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_124024_Photos.jpg

It's a real pain the the a*s, the guys I bought it from have been proper decent so far. I don't know what brand the spoilers are, so can't check online for any recalls etc.

I'll update when they get back in touch.

I bought my van in September this year, 72 plate. I had some optional bits added including these rear barn door spoilers.

Back in October, they started blistering, so I took it back to the outfit that fitted them for me, which was where I bought the van from also. They kindly swapped them for me. No problems. Problem solved. (Or so I thought)

Washing the van yesterday amd I've noticed they're doing it AGAIN!

Nowhere else on the van is effected, front splitter etc, just the spoilers.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Or similar?

I've sent another email to the guys I bought it from, but I'm not sure what out come to expect here.

View attachment 222902

View attachment 222903
I have the same issue, I assumed it was a poor resprayed / prep of the spoiler. Interested to see how you get on

Have you been in touch with Leighton about it?
No I bought the van a couple of years ago from private garage and it's a 2016 year so didn't see much point, just one of those things to sort out when I get chance, interesting if it a common issue and what's proper solution to prevent it reoccurring. Hope you get is resolved

I’ve got same problem with my spoiler and had to have my whole pop top roof redone by skyline under warranty it’s where the primer under neath reacts with the gel top coat causing tiny bubbles to appear my roof is already showing bubbles again but skyline only cover it once under warranty so it’s down to me now I’m going down the getting them wrapped route next year as it keeps happening

I’ve got same problem with my spoiler and had to have my whole pop top roof redone by skyline under warranty it’s where the primer under neath reacts with the gel top coat causing tiny bubbles to appear my roof is already showing bubbles again but skyline only cover it once under warranty so it’s down to me now I’m going down the getting them wrapped route next year as it keeps happening

That doesn't seem right, they know there's and issue, fox it once, then you're on your own?

I thinking I might just have them removed and refunded. Looks like it's a problem for more than just a few here.

That is called micro blistering and is caused by moisture in the air line water trap !!
I had this issue on a car that was 5 years old and had never been resprayed ! I complained to the ford dealership but never got a response !!
That was 40 years ago !!

If this is a PU or ABS spoiler it's a paint/prep issue. If GRP it's likely a bad batch of gel coat on the spoilers especially if replacement is doing the same.

Just an update on what's happening for anyone that wants to know......

I emailed the company I bought the van from and they are happy to change the spoilers for a second time.

They are ordering the new ones in a "primed only" condition, and then having their own paint shop finish them off.

Understandably this isn't something that's going to happen now until the new year, but I will just keep updating how I get on, on here.

Thanks for all your inputs everyone.

Had a similar thing on my old BMW, the wing was bubbling and blistering. Poor preparation is the answer. Moisture trapped under the paint/primer.
The stealership weren't interested in rectifying it, so old muggins here had to fork out for the respray.

Had a similar thing on my old BMW, the wing was bubbling and blistering. Poor preparation is the answer. Moisture trapped under the paint/primer.
The stealership weren't interested in rectifying it, so old muggins here had to fork out for the respray.
It's crazy how this is aloud to happen. They've sood a faulty item, but expect the customer to pay to have it rectified? Mental!

Microblisters are usually either solvents venting from GRP and/or moisture in the paints, usually from compressor airlines. Exacerbated by modern water based paints during resprays v's factory applied.

Last edited:
Back