Paid For Something You Didn't Get...

Insert Coin

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm not going to turn this thread into a bitch about my van converter, there's a whole section of the forum for that.

But imagine my surprise when the guys fitting my new HiLo roof email me to say something is missing from the back of my van. The roof fitters aren't the same bunch that did my original conversion.

20190418_094645.jpg 20190418_095522.jpg

Where's the insulation that I paid for?!

Thats shocking.. who was it that did it?. Members have a right to know if they have also been duped.

Name and shame and get rid of these converters that take our money without completing the job requested.
Yes, sound deadening has different opinions on effectiveness but insulation is obvious.. surely.

Gutted for you and the hassle that this causes.. why do they cut corners?, only to have more work after.. doesnt make sense.

The silver foil looks like the back of the dodo mat insulation and assume white stuff for the voids ??

The silver stuff is silent coat or the equivalent, which is sound proofing.

Insulation is what’s missing, I’m not sure what people use these days, it used to be rockwool or whatever.

That really does look like dodo matting, the defacto insulation of late. Silent Coat is embossed with the logo all over.

Whom you are not going to mention yet?

Nope, I’ll see what the reply is, if I end up with egg on my face I’ll gladly delete the thread.

I’d expect the guys that are doing my roof to know the difference between insulation and sound proofing, they highlighted the lack of insulation.

Nope, I’ll see what the reply is, if I end up with egg on my face I’ll gladly delete the thread.

I’d expect the guys that are doing my roof to know the difference between insulation and sound proofing, they highlighted the lack of insulation.

Admirable and fair :thumbsup:

That’s def not silent coat. Even if it is insulation though you would think they would have filled the void with additional standard insulation! That’s what I would have done anyway, the van can never be too insulated

I remember being told at the time they used silent coat, as you say it’s not silent coat, I have a few sheets left over from a Skipton speaker kit.

And yes, fill the void, these guys advertise that they ‘ultra sound proof and insulate’ their conversions.

Would have thought they would have used fleece to fill all the voids behind the dodomat. I have both. The fleece is made from recycled plastic bottles.
Unless that is dodomat extreme, then you probably wouldn’t need the fleece. Anything other than extreme, you do.

So what happened? Did they get back to you?

Yes and no, they didn't reply to my email, but they did call my office and ask for me, but I was out on site.

I didn't bother to call them back in the end, I think as pointed out above, they've fitted Dodomat of unknown type and didn't bother to fill the void.

The original company quote 'Ultra' sound proofing and insulation, so you'd expect them to be doing something ultra for the money, not just sticking on a product that any old Tom, Dick and Harry can fit.

My van's still away having the roof done, but when I pick it up I'll ask the guys a bit more about exactly what they found and then I can make a decision on what to tell the original converters.

I've had the voids stuffed with whatever is recommended these days, I suspect it'll be even quieter and better insulated than before.

Ok so I've got my bus back, as well as no insulation in the voids we've discovered there's no soundproofing fitted on the cab floor or load area floor.

Wessex Vans claim they are the best and make a big point about how they 'Ultra Soundproof and Insulate', well they clearly don't do anything out of the ordinary and in fact charge you for stuff they haven't done.

I won't be using them again, lesson learnt.

Back