Orkney and Shetland or Shetland and Orkney

Colin123

Looking to go to Orkney and Shetland in April/May but can't decide which way around ... that is Orkney or Shetland first. I'm planning the Northlink ferries starting /ending in Scrabster/Aberdeen to save some driving. Anyone been to both and can share their experiences. Aiming to use a mix of off-grid and sites/marinas/community centres.

I don’t think it matters very much and, for what it’s worth, they’re both amazing.

I’d price up the ferries both ways and see if there’s any difference in price/convenience.

I’d probably bias slightly towards Orkney first, just to get the longer drive out of the way on the way up, but also because you get more of a transition that way as Shetland definitely has a ‘wilder’ feel.

I don’t think it matters very much and, for what it’s worth, they’re both amazing.

I’d price up the ferries both ways and see if there’s any difference in price/convenience.

I’d probably bias slightly towards Orkney first, just to get the longer drive out of the way on the way up, but also because you get more of a transition that way as Shetland definitely has a ‘wilder’ feel.
Thanks for that - Orkney first was my initial thought for those reasons ... but Shetland first means there's no cabin costs on the southbound route. I think the feel of the trip may end up having more weight than the cost of a cabin on the ferry.

I would echo @t0mb0 .

Not done Shetland, but did the Uists in 22 and Orkney last year, Orkney was fantastic but definitely felt less remote, I think it would feel a bit of a let-down going there after Shetland.

I would echo @t0mb0 .

Not done Shetland, but did the Uists in 22 and Orkney last year, Orkney was fantastic but definitely felt less remote, I think it would feel a bit of a let-down going there after Shetland.
Many thanks ... seems like it's going to be Orkney first. It sound a bit like the recommendation to do the NC500 anti-clockwise so that it just gets better. Now to take out a mortgage for the ferries!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Back