Organising trip to Ireland.

We will be heading for Ireland late May. Will travel to the North first to see friends and then tour around for a few weeks. Belfast lad, so know the North well.

Bank loan to pay for the ferry crossings?
Having just returned from there following the festive period, I suggest that you have a banking app or card with Euros on it for the Dublin Port Tunnel. There's also an easy to miss Toll on the M50... The M50 Toll Road | eFlow

If taking a late boat (and you have not got a cabin) from Hollyhead or Dublin Port bring a blanket and maybe a pillow from the car to the communal areas to try and get a couple of hours of kip. Otherwise it's cold and uncomfortable. And, No, I wasn't on the top deck.

Generally, to use an Irish expression, it is feckin' expensive. But I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Having just returned from there following the festive period, I suggest that you have a banking app or card with Euros on it for the Dublin Port Tunnel. There's also an easy to miss Toll on the M50... The M50 Toll Road | eFlow

If taking a late boat (and you have not got a cabin) from Hollyhead or Dublin Port bring a blanket and maybe a pillow from the car to the communal areas to try and get a couple of hours of kip. Otherwise it's cold and uncomfortable. And, No, I wasn't on the top deck.

Generally, to use an Irish expression, it is feckin' expensive. But I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Revolut is very handy. I have it setup on the phone with android wallet and can tap in 99% of locations in Ireland/Northern Ireland. It also does the currency conversion and has very good rates(it's always lower than the Amazon conversion rate).
If anyone is signing up to revolut I have a referral link which gives me €50 for each person I refer.

Revolut is very handy. I have it setup on the phone with android wallet and can tap in 99% of locations in Ireland/Northern Ireland. It also does the currency conversion and has very good rates(it's always lower than the Amazon conversion rate).
If anyone is signing up to revolut I have a referral link which gives me €50 for each person I refer.

I prefer Starling for overseas spending and cash point withdrawals. The fees are lower. There is a useful comparison here: Revolut vs Starling Bank: How do they compare? - Money To The Masses We also use the Halifax Clarity credit card for overseas spending. Again, it has a pure exchange rate with no additional fees.

Revolut is also very handy. It offers good currency exchange rate and you can use it tap-to-pay which avoids the need for notes/coins. Most places offer contactless payment.
I live by mine. I use it more than First direct card. Great in Europe and USA. Open a local currency account, get bank exchange rate and use it as local currency card.

I prefer Starling for overseas spending and cash point withdrawals. The fees are lower. There is a useful comparison here: Revolut vs Starling Bank: How do they compare? - Money To The Masses We also use the Halifax Clarity credit card for overseas spending. Again, it has a pure exchange rate with no additional fees.
I had far too many issues with Starling in Germany and Austria. Wasn’t recognised in a lot of places. I hear they’ve fixed it but.....

Likewise, only use Revolut now as like it when used I get notice in seconds on phone where, when and how much. Topping up when needed takes seconds. I also have I have a referral link which gives me €50 and you, for each person I refer, if anyone is interested.

I had far too many issues with Starling in Germany and Austria. Wasn’t recognised in a lot of places. I hear they’ve fixed it but.....

We have found Starling always works when the Halifax Clarity is rejected. Used it all across Europe including Croatia with no issues. Also works well for online Euro purchases.

One feature of revolut that I like is the disposable virtual card(not sure if other providers offer this). If I have to give card details I can use this card and once it's used once it's no longer valid. I don't have to worry about someone stealing the card details as even with these details they can't use it.

One feature of revolut that I like is the disposable virtual card(not sure if other providers offer this). If I have to give card details I can use this card and once it's used once it's no longer valid. I don't have to worry about someone stealing the card details as even with these details they can't use it.
Yep I use that for any Web purchase I make especially with dodgy Chinese sites.

Back