Warranty only 2 years

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I bought my 2017 T6 in December In the UK and imported it to Ireland. Reason being, was that I just couldn’t find a highline DSG here (well found one but it was a lot dearer than the ones in the UK at the time).
In many cases it’s quite common in Ireland to be attracted to the UK market. Main reasons are, cost savings, wider choice of vehicles, higher specs. To stop this killing the Irish market though, the government here add VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) to any second hand vehicle brought into the country. How do they calculate this one time charge? Well it’s 25% of the vehicles value in Ireland! On higher priced vehicles it goes up to 30%!! In most cases it can be colossal and thus discouraging the Irish from buying cars in the UK and importing them. However, there’s exceptions. Classic cars and commercials (but with loads of conditions on commercials) are a flat fee of €200. Who knows why but that is how I ended up saving about 3k. So with the van being just over a year old it was the first vehicle I ever bought that had Manufacturers warranty. Delighted!

however, earlier on this year the lock on my sliding door was playing up. So I took it into my local VW dealer, expecting it to be covered under warranty (my T6 is first registered Nov 2017).
Turns out it’s only 2 years on vehicles imported from the UK!!! Gutted. I got some rubbish about how VW (in both the UK and Ireland) pay for that 3rd year and because mine is a UK vehicle then it has not ‘contributed’ to the Irish 3rd year. What a load of bull. Can I do anything about it? Nope.
But on my shock and annoyance, the dealer fitted a new lock at ‘cost’ as a good Will gesture.

anyway, now I have a coolant leak. Alarm comes on and I’m topping up every 5-6 days. It is going in on Thursday. Gonna cost €95 to diagnose (cos it’s out of warranty) and then there’s grumbling that it might be some intercooler at the cost of €700!

They ain’t cheap these vans!

Reactions: MrT
Bring it over to the uk for the repair?
It's about €350 for a ferry ticket and with Covid I have to quarantine for 2 weeks when I get back to Ireland so can't I'm afraid. Would love to as I could go visit my family on the WIrral but no.

Back