Organising trip to Ireland.

I am planning a trip to the Republic of Ireland in September and wondered if I have forgotten anything regarding legal and other matters. If I have forgotten anything important, please let me know, thanks:
EHIC card is current.
UK sticker not required in Ireland.
Car insurance cover.
Vehicle rescue cover.
Holiday insurance.

I am planning a trip to the Republic of Ireland in September and wondered if I have forgotten anything regarding legal and other matters. If I have forgotten anything important, please let me know, thanks:
EHIC card is current.
Car insurance cover.
Vehicle rescue cover.
Holiday insurance.
Euros.

EHIC card is current.
Car insurance cover.
Vehicle rescue cover.
Holiday insurance.
Don't overlook Northern Ireland - a beautiful place by all accounts.

Tolls spring to mind. Good to have some loose euros for some of them. Others may require you to log in later on and pay. Best just to be mindful incase you get stung!

Which port are you sailing into? If Dublin, for an extra 10mins you can avoid the port tunnel (€10) and the M50 (~€3). Google maps should give you the toll free option.
Also, fuel is usually cheaper outside Dublin and off the motorways.
Have you a route planned?

Revolut is also very handy. It offers good currency exchange rate and you can use it tap-to-pay which avoids the need for notes/coins. Most places offer contactless payment.

Don't overlook Northern Ireland - a beautiful place by all accounts.
I agree with @Bav. I've done the republic three times over the last 40 years and loved that. However I did Northern Ireland three years ago and the North coast and Northeast drive down to Belfast is some of the most spectacular driving and sights I've ever seen. I intent to go back and spend more time there

Reactions: Bav
As a Donegal boy, I’d recommend doing the northwest along with a northern loop!

You’ve covered all the important bits you need - just go and enjoy the trip now!

No doubt a stupid question since no one else seems to have asked it. We are planning our Easter trip to Ireland and I was wondering if the ehu is the same or do you need an adapter? Guessing it's the same but just want to be sure

No doubt a stupid question since no one else seems to have asked it. We are planning our Easter trip to Ireland and I was wondering if the ehu is the same or do you need an adapter? Guessing it's the same but just want to be sure
It's the same as the UK. What part of Ireland are you visiting?

It's the same as the UK. What part of Ireland are you visiting?
Thanks Paddy
We are doing the North this year and South probably next year. This is the plan we have so far. If you have any suggestions then please feel free to fire them over. Especially for day 2, still need a campsite, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of options.
Day 1
Route: Dublin - Killaloe
1 Nights Stay - Killaloe Camping

Day 2
Route: Killaloe Camping - Mohar Visitor Centre - Galway
1 Nights Stay - Need a night near Salthill, Galway (Tried Salthill Caravan Park) no luck

Day 3
Route: Salthill - Ballycroy Visitor Centre - Slieve League Viewing Platform
1 night Stay - Sliabh Liag Campsite

Day 4
Route: Sliabh Liag Campsite - Malin Head - Binevenagh Viewpoint - Dunluce Castle
2 Nights Stay total - Highview Holiday Park

Day 5
Route: Highview Holiday Park - Giants Causeway - Carrick a Rede Ropebridge - Portstewart Strand Beach
1 Night Stay - Highview Holiday Park

Day 6
Route: Dark Hedges - Belfast - River Valley Holiday Park past Dublin
2 Nights Stay - River Valley Holiday Park

Day 7
Day visit to Dublin
Return to River Valley Holiday Park

Day 8
Travel to Dublin port to Home

Thanks Paddy
We are doing the North this year and South probably next year. This is the plan we have so far. If you have any suggestions then please feel free to fire them over. Especially for day 2, still need a campsite, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of options.
Day 1
Route: Dublin - Killaloe
1 Nights Stay - Killaloe Camping

Day 2
Route: Killaloe Camping - Mohar Visitor Centre - Galway
1 Nights Stay - Need a night near Salthill, Galway (Tried Salthill Caravan Park) no luck

Day 3
Route: Salthill - Ballycroy Visitor Centre - Slieve League Viewing Platform
1 night Stay - Sliabh Liag Campsite

Day 4
Route: Sliabh Liag Campsite - Malin Head - Binevenagh Viewpoint - Dunluce Castle
2 Nights Stay total - Highview Holiday Park

Day 5
Route: Highview Holiday Park - Giants Causeway - Carrick a Rede Ropebridge - Portstewart Strand Beach
1 Night Stay - Highview Holiday Park

Day 6
Route: Dark Hedges - Belfast - River Valley Holiday Park past Dublin
2 Nights Stay - River Valley Holiday Park

Day 7
Day visit to Dublin
Return to River Valley Holiday Park

Day 8
Travel to Dublin port to Home
I'll take a better look at this tonight and give some ideas. What height is your camper? Do you need ehu? Do you like beaches?

If you're not tied to Salthill for 2nd night this is a nice spot:
The drive from here up to Louisburg past Doo Lough is lovely.

If you're not tied to Salthill for 2nd night this is a nice spot:
The drive from here up to Louisburg past Doo Lough is lovely.
Thanks, we'll look in to that as an option. EHU yes if possible but could always boil water on stove for a much nicer campsite. Van height is around 2.2/3 but with the weight should drop a bit. Hopefully we will have time to see a couple of beaches but due to the weather expected it's not an issue if we don't.

Thanks, we'll look in to that as an option. EHU yes if possible but could always boil water on stove for a much nicer campsite. Van height is around 2.2/3 but with the weight should drop a bit. Hopefully we will have time to see a couple of beaches but due to the weather expected it's not an issue if we don't.
I've stayed here - great proximity to beach with good views but I felt the facilities were a little rustic for the cost compared to some other places.

I've stayed here - great proximity to beach with good views but I felt the facilities were a little rustic for the cost compared to some other places.
I agree. I'd describe it as wild camping with security and bathroom facilities. It does get very good reviews.

Back