Odd Tailgate Leak...

mackmaya

Hi all, I have a strange tailgate leak, it's puddleing in the left hand side bottom of the door, on top of the rubber seal, the thing is I have no trace marks of how it's getting in.
Cheers.20191015_191542.jpg

slight twist in the tailgate? rub some talc powder on the rubber and see where it sticks on the tailgate? might show where there is no contact.

Hi fish, when raining or washing, tracked it down though, it's coming in through the gap where the cable for the heated window is, half way up, then running down the seal, I taped the window up and the third brake light and it's stoped. So getting some tiger seal and going to seal them both up...

Hi fish, when raining or washing, tracked it down though, it's coming in through the gap where the cable for the heated window is, half way up, then running down the seal, I taped the window up and the third brake light and it's stoped. So getting some tiger seal and going to seal them both up...
Its a known vw warranty issue. They replace the thrid light n reseal.

I have a small leak under each tailgate hinge during very heavy rain, not enough to cause a problem but 'kin annoying considering how much the sodding shed cost in the first place.

Its a known vw warranty issue. They replace the thrid light n reseal.
Yeah I know , but have heard that even after it's been done they still leak, just got some glazing silicone and going to fill the small gap all the way round it, least I know it's done then.

I have a small leak under each tailgate hinge during very heavy rain, not enough to cause a problem but 'kin annoying considering how much the sodding shed cost in the first place.
I love the van, but yeah you would have thought the whole of the vw R&D department could come up with a fix for that and the side window leaks...

Hi @DXX Have you cured the tailgate leak ?
My van does the same, it is because the rubber doesn’t push hard enough against the tailgate in those two areas under the hinges.
mine van is 2 months old

Hi @DXX Have you cured the tailgate leak ?
My van does the same, it is because the rubber doesn’t push hard enough against the tailgate in those two areas under the hinges.
mine van is 2 months old
Yes, dressed it with a light coat of silicone grease.

Yes, mine isn’t that bad but I did notice after having the van a week from new. I pulled the rubber seal out from the housing slightly but it doesn’t cure the problem completely

I have noticed on mine as well after a heavy rain upper right side only few drips. Will take some photos later (when the flipping rain stops). It's nothing major just few drips, but annoying, 12 months old campervan.

Some droplets this morning after a heavy downpour (on the rubber seal bottom right of the hinge) this was visible on the inside as well before I opened the boot. It's only on the right side of the back, left side dry totally. We have a bike rack fitted as well, but that's not touching the seal at all. Seal gutter clean, no blockage at all. It's nothing major but it's bugging me.

Any thoughts?
IMG_20211029_084950168.jpgIMG_20211029_084956455.jpgIMG_20211029_085037628.jpg

Hi @EdH
Yes this is what I found with mine a week after collecting a new van.
Light coating of shin-etsu silicon grease cures the problem

Hi @EdH
Yes this is what I found with mine a week after collecting a new van.
Light coating of shin-etsu silicon grease cures the problem

Aaaa, never heard of that specific grease, I got Honda dealership in my town they might sell it. I have heard of this "hack" I sprayed some silicone grease but it dries up on the rubber and on parts where the spray is on metal it stayed tacky and collected grime and bits of dirt that come down from the roof. Do I spread this Honda grease along the edge of the rubber on the side where it touches the metal once closed (where you can see the water droplets?).

This is really strange issue to be honest, I thought that it's just my campervan, but it looks like it's not just mine.

Aaaa, never heard of that specific grease, I got Honda dealership in my town they might sell it. I have heard of this "hack" I sprayed some silicone grease but it dries up on the rubber and on parts where the spray is on metal it stayed tacky and collected grime and bits of dirt that come down from the roof. Do I spread this Honda grease along the edge of the rubber on the side where it touches the metal once closed (where you can see the water droplets?).

This is really strange issue to be honest, I thought that it's just my campervan, but it looks like it's not just mine.
Spray grease isn’t ideal. Have a search online for Millersil No2, comes in a tub and will last along time.
It’s worth dressing all rubber door seals once a year.

Yes Honda dealership sell it as it is for keeping the rubber seals in good condition on the S2000 hood.
I used a nitrile glove and rubbed a very small amount all over the rubber and wipe any surplus with a cotton cloth.
The grease isn’t cheap but will last you for years.
Some Honda dealers sell it on eBay

Reactions: EdH
Yes Honda dealership sell it as it is for keeping the rubber seals in good condition on the S2000 hood.
I used a nitrile glove and rubbed a very small amount all over the rubber and wipe any surplus with a cotton cloth.
The grease isn’t cheap but will last you for years.
Some Honda dealers sell it on eBay
Just phoned my local Honda, parts guy never heard of it haha. I will get it online instead.

Just don't understand why is leaking in the first place to be honest.

Back