Northern Ireland with a dog

shropschris

Industrial furniture manufacturer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Eh up folks has anyone been over to NI since Brexit with there dog ? If so did you have papers checked or did they let you in no issue .I’m getting conflicting advice on this some people have paid for all papers and never had them checked.
cheers folks

I remember hearing The Rev. Richard Cole’s saying on his then Radio 4 show that he had taken his small Daschund abroad somewhere and a local mistook it for a ferret!

We are heading back to Belfast in April via Rosslare in the south with cat and all we needed was EU pet passport. I think you can travel UK to Northern Ireland without problem. I would suggest you get a EU pet passport. Will update this thread when we arrive at Bilbao to board ship.

Check DEFRA website: Contact Defra

have you managed to do this ?
I did phone a vet in larne …they say you need the dogs microchip to be registered in NI or republic ?
Would be interested to see the outcome
Sadly not. However the general consensus was getting one in NI was relatively easy?

Sadly not. However the general consensus was getting one in NI was relatively easy?
Am still considering the option but want to speak to my local (mainland uk) vet to make sure they would be happy with it.
The vet I spoke to in larne says my dog would have to be registered in NI or Eire on his microchip.
£95 for pet passport & none of the nonsense form filling & the £197 fee every time

we were thinking stranraer
Coolio. Cairnryan now then.... To either Larne or Belfast. I can get check on Stenaline boat tomorrow. Always cracks me up seeing wee dogs on car deck in cages.... Always tempted to see if I could put my son in one for journey. Be more relaxing!

Coolio. Cairnryan now then.... To either Larne or Belfast. I can get check on Stenaline boat tomorrow. Always cracks me up seeing wee dogs on car deck in cages.... Always tempted to see if I could put my son in one for journey. Be more relaxing!
Ha ha caged kids would definitely make a journey quiet.

Eh up folks has anyone been over to NI since Brexit with there dog ? If so did you have papers checked or did they let you in no issue .I’m getting conflicting advice on this some people have paid for all papers and never had them checked.
cheers folks
Travelling GB to NI then checks suspended (fall out from disagreements over post-Brexit deal).

Travelling GB to ROI then you will need to export the dog via your vet (unless your dog has an EU passport).

The advice I got from Government’s Animal and Plant Health Agency - register your dog with a vet in an EU country and get its passport issued there. I did this in Southern Ireland.

Back