When are you going? We are off this Saturday for 2 weeks so will be able update with campsites later.

The only campsites we have booked are are Applecross and Gairloch, the rest of the time we will just see what happens. Quite excited by this but there is a part of me that is quite apprehensive about not having everything booked.

Should be a good adventure though.

When are you going? We are off this Saturday for 2 weeks so will be able update with campsites later.

The only campsites we have booked are are Applecross and Gairloch, the rest of the time we will just see what happens. Quite excited by this but there is a part of me that is quite apprehensive about not having everything booked.

Hi
We are not going until Sept so will look forward eagerly to your fact finding mission:cool:

Like you we are looking forward to rocking up and pitching up spontaneously.

Enjoy and don't forget the Rock Rose Gin Distillery way up North!!

We are going at the end of July and beginning of august.

We're going in August as well - place will be heaving by the looks of it :)

Hi there.
Did all you good folk do the NC500 to date?
Any advice/thoughts/recommendations?
Any outstanding "must do's"?

Hi there.
Did all you good folk do the NC500 to date?
Any advice/thoughts/recommendations?
Any outstanding "must do's"?
Well, nearly.
We went to Scotland with less time than we planned, and stayed on mainland Scotland opposite Sky. This was just about the most South Westerly part of the NC500.
We went in a Motorhome, so not as fast or nimble as a T6, but it took us 2 days eachway from Lincolnshire, relaxed travelling, just to get to the start of the NC500.
It was absolutely fabulous the sea was warm, honestly warm; swimming in the seabbLocation.jpg

never been there before, but absolutely loved it. We where going to go further North, but could not see the point, given that we were time limited
The roads are narrow and slow, so next time we will need more time

Last edited:
@chriscroft
Thanks for that?
I was trying to get my head around distances and number of nights etc.
Will pack the "Daniel Craigs" for swimming days!!:waving:
We didn't know the area at all; other than flying over it on the way to Florida; beautiful crystal blue sea, and white beaches to match.
The reality, is; it is even better.
We are going back in September hopefully, Paradise???; I think we got lucky with the Weather. Apparently, it can really rain......o_O

We didn't know the area at all; other than flying over it on the way to Florida; beautiful crystal blue sea, and white beaches to match.
The reality, is; it is even better.
We are going back in September hopefully, Paradise???; I think we got lucky with the Weather. Apparently, it can really rain......o_O

I'll be up there at the beginning of Sept, on my way for a fortnight in the Outer Hebrides, can't wait :cool::D

We are heading up to Edinburgh on 17th Sept then Inverness on 18th.
Then the start of the route.
If you're on the route then shout out.

:thumbsup:

We cut our holiday short on the NC500, numerous factors but mainly due to the weather. We were grateful that we had not booked anywhere apart from the first 4 nights as we were able to change our plans at short notice.

Whale watching from Gairloch was cancelled due to the weather, zip wire at Durness closed due to the weather, Smoo cave tour not running due to the weather, can you see a trend! I know we were just unlucky with the weather can't do much about it but it really spoilt everything we were looking forward to.

One thing you need to do though if you can is going on one of the tours offered by

Caithness Seacoast — Exhilarating Speedboat Trips, Caithness, Scotland

Cannot recommend highly enough, William the skipper and tour guide was amazing and so knowledgeable about the local wildlife and well worth the money.

I would recommend not booking any campsites, none were anywhere near full even in August that way you can be entirely flexible.

It also takes far longer to drive between the places on the west coast than google will suggest mainly because you are driving slowly to appreciate the scenery and stopping to look at the view.

We will do it again but not for a few years yet and will wait until we don't have to take our son with us. We want to go back in June or July when all the migratory sea birds are nesting on the cliffs in the north, must be an amazing sight.

We cut our holiday short on the NC500, numerous factors but mainly due to the weather. We were grateful that we had not booked anywhere apart from the first 4 nights as we were able to change our plans at short notice.

Whale watching from Gairloch was cancelled due to the weather, zip wire at Durness closed due to the weather, Smoo cave tour not running due to the weather, can you see a trend! I know we were just unlucky with the weather can't do much about it but it really spoilt everything we were looking forward to.

One thing you need to do though if you can is going on one of the tours offered by

Caithness Seacoast — Exhilarating Speedboat Trips, Caithness, Scotland

Cannot recommend highly enough, William the skipper and tour guide was amazing and so knowledgeable about the local wildlife and well worth the money.

I would recommend not booking any campsites, none were anywhere near full even in August that way you can be entirely flexible.

It also takes far longer to drive between the places on the west coast than google will suggest mainly because you are driving slowly to appreciate the scenery and stopping to look at the view.

We will do it again but not for a few years yet and will wait until we don't have to take our son with us. We want to go back in June or July when all the migratory sea birds are nesting on the cliffs in the north, must be an amazing sight.
Interesting what you say about camping. Virtually every camp site where we were was fully booked during August, in fact the Isle of Sky was on National News, asking Tourists not to go, because all the camp sites, B&B's and Car Parks where chocker.
I know this isn't on the NC500, and the NC500 was devised to move more tourism further up Scotland, but I guess the further North you go in high season, the quieter it gets in general.

Last edited:
We went and the weather was very mixed. We did some travels S/W and then picked up the NC500 around apple cross area.
Worst weather was Skye where we had rain and 40mph winds and tents were blowing down - and this in August...
Recommendations in no particular order:
Mull
Applecross
Sango bay in Durness
Fort William
The little French bistro in Wick - Bord de l'eau
Elgin/Nairn
Overall a great trip

Interesting what you say about camping. Virtually every camp site where we were was fully booked during August, in fact the Isle of Sky was on National News, asking Tourists not to go, because all the camp sites, B&B's and Car Parks where chocker.
I know this isn't on the NC500, and the NC500 was devised to move more tourism further up Scotland, but I guess the further North you go in high season, the quieter it gets in general.
I read about that; sounds pretty bad. Only been to Mull in our old California but loved it. The weather is INCREDIBLY variable though; swimming in trunks one minute, sheltering from force 10 winds the next!

Its an old adage that if it were not for the rain and midges then everyone would want to live on the west coast of Scotland. The best months for weather up here are April and May. July and August can be pretty wet, but we often get great weather September and October. It is not that common to get strong winds in July/August but it can happen. Basically if you are able to go outside the main holiday season you are better off for weather, and it is wetter on the west coast than the east.

The west coast is just stunning, with Torridon, Assynt and Skye being the standout areas for me. The visitor infrastructure is not brilliant but improving rapidly, especially in the far north and west where the NC500 is the major driving factor. Its pretty tough up there for businesses as they have to make all their money from 6 months of the year, and just try to break even for the other 6 months - quite a few close for the winter

If you set expectations that you will get a percentage of wet days, bring some waterproof gear and be prepared to do a bit of walking, it is well worth the effort

If anybody wants any recommendations on anything I will try to help out, but don't ask about campsites as I am not into camping

This look like a good first trip in the camper when it's done. Will watch thread carefully for trip tips. Currently planning a trip to Ireland for next year.

This has just been added to our holiday list. Possibly 2019 as a trip to Ireland is next year.

Have just paid the princely sum of £15 to join the NC500 club.
Access to maps and itineraries etc.
Just starting to formulate a plan of attack!
TBH( aka .. wife) has purchased lots of midge/bug/insect stuff so you will smell us before you see us if you are passing!!
:waving:

Have just paid the princely sum of £15 to join the NC500 club.
Access to maps and itineraries etc.
Just starting to formulate a plan of attack!
TBH( aka .. wife) has purchased lots of midge/bug/insect stuff so you will smell us before you see us if you are passing!!
:waving:
Smidge is the only stuff that really works on midges and it does not contain any nastiness like deet and the like

I spent a lot of time around Durness in the early 80s, never had a problem with midgies, admittedly it was always quite windy. How much of a problem are they on the NC500

Smidge is the only stuff that really works on midges and it does not contain any nastiness like deet and the like
Avon skin so soft works for me! Can pick it up next to the smudge stuff so must work!

We stayed at Sands at Gareloch last week. Would be a good place to stop for all NC500 people. Out of the village and right on the beach. Windy enough for no midgies at all

Back