I was planning it this year but apparantly the midges are really bad so far and predicted to get worse, so gunna look next year

I lived in the highlands for a few years and regularly return, best time to go is Sept - as much of a chance of decent weather as the previous 4 months but the midges have gone. Also fewer European campers oblivious of single track passing places and occasionally coming round the corner on the wrong side of the road :eek:

I lived in the highlands for a few years and regularly return, best time to go is Sept - as much of a chance of decent weather as the previous 4 months but the midges have gone. Also fewer European campers oblivious of single track passing places and occasionally coming round the corner on the wrong side of the road :eek:

I found a shortcut across the highlands to Ullapool from just after the "crossroads" at Loch Ness iirc, that even a Scotsman who'd been going there for years didn't know about.. Shaved quite a few hrs off, beat him there and was a VERY quiet road ! He got the map out an poured over it for ages... :rofl::rofl: I love the area due to this very sadly missed gentle giant having shown me around a huge part of it over a good number of years.. Very fond memories :thumbsup:

Sorry this isnt about NC500 but may be of use to some of you if you didn't already know. Cal mac ferries do island hopping tickets (google calmac hopscotch). You basically choose what islands you want to visit and chose the appropriate hopscotch. It's very reasonable as you can use the ferries as many times as you like when the ticket is valid. I recently done Skye, Lewis and Harris in a hire T6 camper. The route I want to do next is oban - Barra - eriskay - south uist - benbecula - north Uist - berneray - Lewis - Skye. My mate done that loop in his T4 and said it was amazing scenery. He especially liked staying on the beach at berneray

image.jpeg

St Conans kirk Loch Awe is worth a visit, as well as the hydro electric station tour.. There's a hell of a lot of history and good scenery up that way, as well as a lot of good folk! Could spend ages (and did) there.. Relieves the stress..

Sorry this isnt about NC500 but may be of use to some of you if you didn't already know. Cal mac ferries do island hopping tickets (google calmac hopscotch). You basically choose what islands you want to visit and chose the appropriate hopscotch. It's very reasonable as you can use the ferries as many times as you like when the ticket is valid. I recently done Skye, Lewis and Harris in a hire T6 camper. The route I want to do next is oban - Barra - eriskay - south uist - benbecula - north Uist - berneray - Lewis - Skye. My mate done that loop in his T4 and said it was amazing scenery. He especially liked staying on the beach at berneray

I'm planning on doing the Outer Hebrides first 2 weeks in Sept, first time I've been back in over 20yrs. Couple of mates have worked for CalMac since we left school

Can anyone recommend a whale watching boat trip, ideally off the NC 500 route but further south if necessary would be fine as travelling up from the south coast.

Thanks

I was planning it this year but apparantly the midges are really bad so far and predicted to get worse, so gunna look next year

The midges have not really started this year because of he frosts. The view is that it's going to be a bad year for them as the mild winter will not have killed off as many as usual. Having said that, the difference between a bad year and a not so bad year is almost irrelevant so might as well just pick when you want and put up with them if the conditions are wrong where you happen to be. Waiting till September won't help as they are still around

Top tip is to load up with Smidge and just enjoy the most stunning scenery in the UK. Campsites will probably be OK but any decent accommodation will be booked already. It is so remote that traffic is really not that much of a problem despite the stories

Last edited:
Back