No brake lights [Resolved]

R55YEA

VIP Member
Hi there , I have a 2016 vw t6 highline which the brake lights have just stopped working, both rear lights and high levels, I have replaced the brake switch on the master cylinder, checked the brake switch fuse sb16 and have also checked the turn and brake light fuse sc47 , I seem to be getting power at the midway plug under the passenger seat for all other lights ,but not the brake light terminal. I also disconnect the battery for 5mins after new switch was fitted in case an ecu reset was need, sorry for the long post just giving as much info as possible, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Left the battery disconnected all night , connected it back up this morning and still no brake lights

All of the wiring diagrams are available to download. Not sure if you have this one.
It’s not unheard of for fuses to be removed for checking and get put back in the wrong slot, worth checking.

983548DB-E4DD-4EF0-AD24-E73981F9F126.png

Most towbar wiring has to tap into the brake light feed. My pf Jones kit had a connection near the control unit by the pedal box. Do you know what wiring kit was fitted?

That looks like a universal bypass relay and not a dedicated kit. I’d remove the rear lights and check the connections. I imagine that they taken the feed from the loom at the back of the light cluster. Are you sure that all the fuses are in the right places and not blown though?

That looks like a universal bypass relay and not a dedicated kit. I’d remove the rear lights and check the connections. I imagine that they taken the feed from the loom at the back of the light cluster. Are you sure that all the fuses are in the right places and not blown though?
Hi , all the fuses removed and check with a multi meter and look like they’re back in correct position, wiring at the rear of lights looks ok , I’ve even disconnected the live wire with the fuse from the battery to the towbar thinking there shouldn’t be any power going to the towbar now.

Thanks , that looks the way the towbar is wired, split the midway plug and don’t seem to getting a live from the BCM to midway plug on black and red wire , I’m wondering if there is a relay inline on the brake wiring system that’s blown or a goosed BCM.

Back