Newbie - loving this site - not far off taking the plunge - conversion company thoughts please

NF78

Hi there.

First time posting on here, although something tells me this won't be the last! A public thanks to all the amazing people in here too - so much info and opinion when you're knee deep in the research phase before pulling any triggers.

Fundamental question is any opinions on 3 conversion companies I seem to be coming to (albeit without yet seeing or speaking to them, although I have seen one of their projects in the flesh last week in the form of The Performance Chef's rather spectacular build from CJL). I am at a place of CJL Leisure vs Eco Wagon vs Status 1. Have hunted around for thoughts in the forum on all 3 and can't see anything negative so might come down to price. I live down in Kent so not really an option to easily visit any of them. Will do it if I feel it is critical having spoken to them of course.

The context is......I am a triathlete who is looking to get a van that'll primarily be for me and training/racing weekends away solo. The deadline (a van, raw materials and conversion availability allowing) is May 2022 when I have my first main race of the season. Worth noting that the van might also be with a mate, or my better half. And on occasion maybe 3 or 4 people. So seeking a 4-berth option, but one that can transport 2 bikes. And I'd like the 2 bikes inside the van at night as they aren't cheap! I have worked out (I think) that, despite the CJL option of a separate bike "pod" in the back for bikes and kit, with a SWB that won't allow a folding bed. Which takes me towards their Adventure conversion with a sliding rail bed that you can move forwards and create room for 2 bikes behind. Then 2 people can sleep up top with the bikes inside at night. And then if 4 people are sleeping then the bikes will either stay at home or go on the outside and pitch a tent or a drive away awning (think that's what you call them anyway!).

Preference is to source the van and the conversion through the same place (less hassle). I have the spec of the base van sorted thanks to a lot of time on this forum (won't lay that out here unless folk think it'll be helpful but my strong preference is for a SWB - it won't be my only vehicle but I can see me using it for short random trips in reality). I have a good sense of spec for inside too, hence the key question being who best to do the work? I am a stickler for quality of workmanship (Product Design degree) so really want high attention to detail and no corners cut. And I am fortunate in that my budget is not quite sky's the limit but I will have a sizeable investment (possibly as much as £80k, although really hoping it isn't that much!). So really hoping to get something bloomin' nice at the end of this.

Would really appreciate thoughts on the 3 converter options and their prices, if folk have used them, and then also any general thoughts you may have on my plans.

Huge thanks in advance (he writes, hoping for no tumbleweed moment!)

Neil

I think you are going to struggle with the timings, my guess would be that you need to see who has what stock and what works for you

You have no chance of even getting a factory order van in that time and that’s without even considering the conversion

If you find a ‘standard’ conversion that works for you then great but if not you are going to be limited to who has stock of a van available quick enough to get converted by May and keep in mind most companies are booked for months ahead for full conversions

Reactions: Ozi
Thanks Pauly, appreciate the reply. A couple I have spoken to say they have stock of new base vans available so depends on spec I guess. I’ve also asked about their timings for converting as it does sound like good converters have a lead time. Fingers are crossed the stars align. There’s also a chance the right build might already be out there but I’ve not seen it yet.

Speak to Dirty Weekender in Worcester. They have access to vans & have done conversions of the type you’re looking for. A bit of a trip, but if it gets you what you want/need…

Completely agree with Pauly.

Forget a factory order, you just won’t see it in time. So if you can be flexible on base van spec to work around what’s available, the biggest issue will be finding a convertor you trust, and can deliver in reasonable time.

Key advice will be:

1. don’t limit your choice of conveyor to location, an extra few miles to get what you really want is well worth it
2. look at the product and workmanship before committing. A good convertor will have no hesitation in showing off their work and providing some reference customers
3. be very wary of anyone who doesn’t have much of a lead time. All the good convertors will be booked out for months, but the wait will be worth it

Reactions: DXX
Morning if you are in the Kent area have you tried Wambam Campervan in Brands Hatch?
I spoke with Martin this week and he has now got a deal with SMG Tonbridge to supply base vans to him ready for any type of conversion you require -
he has just completed my full conversion from panel van to camper and I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.
he has a large unit on the grounds of brands hatch off scratchers lane check out his website on google

Last edited by a moderator:
Back