New Van options review

Fiction

Hi all,

I'm inching closer to a van purchase as the start for a partly-self-built-camper-van-conversion. To help with my procrastination I thought I'd get some opinions on the options I have in mind:
  • T30 Panel van Highline SWB 150 PS 2.0 TDI 7sp DSG
  • Pure Grey
  • Carpet Floor Covering in Cab
  • Swivel seats (which requires Without bulkhead, Basic Single Passenger Seat, Armrests)
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and LED Tail Lights (which requires Tailgate without Window and Power Latching, I think)
  • Rear View Camera
I'm thinking of buying the van with the help of Autoebid.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. A possible layout:

Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 11.30.30.jpg

Hi ...see your plan has a cooker ...lots of members don’t always cook in the van ( bad after smells ) but you could use the space for a fridge for more beer ...Cook outside and enjoy cool beer ;)
space in a van is premium you it wisely

When I bought my T30 recently, it came with factory LEDs front and rear and also a tailgate with window, so I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

The only other thing I'd recommend is to go for LWB if you can. That extra 500mm makes all the difference if you plan to use it as a camper. We cook in ours - induction hob/oven/grill/microwave - and smells haven't become an issue yet... I am planning on getting a Cadac though.

A beer fridge is a must...!;)

Fridge/beer storage would be under the fixed part of the bed so I think we're safe there :), and parking is tricky, which is why I'm trying to squeeze it all in a SWB van.

I vaguely thought you needed power latching on the tailgate to open it from the inside, but maybe I got mixed up on that one.

I vaguely thought you needed power latching on the tailgate to open it from the inside, but maybe I got mixed up on that one.

I have tailgate, rear LED, rear window and power latching.

Like the potential layout, but dont forget that, assuming your MTB box is a wide enough to accommodate your bars, it would take up quite a lot of space

The query on rear LEDs is you must have a tailgate to have them. There are no bar door LED option. HTH

I have tailgate, rear LED, rear window and power latching.

Like the potential layout, but dont forget that, assuming your MTB box is a wide enough to accommodate your bars, it would take up quite a lot of space

The bars will be turned... I'm imagining a slightly complicated sliding arrangement where the bike comes out sideways to clear the wheel arch, then back towards the door.

In case it helps anyone in the future, Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically) seems to get added automatically by the VW configurator even without one of the power latching tailgate options so the spec as ordered is:
  • Volkswagen Transporter T30SWB 2.0TDI 150 DPFR StopStart EU6 Highline Van DSG A7 
  • Paint - Solid - Pure Grey
  • Upholstery - Bricks Cloth - Titanium Black - Black
  • Armrest - Drivers and Passenger
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and LED Tail Lights
  • Tailgate without window aperture
  • Basic Single Passenger Seat
  • Swivel Seat Driver - Not Height-Adjustable
  • Swivel Seat Passenger - Not Height-Adjustable
  • Rear View Camera
  • Without bulkhead
  • Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically)
  • Manually adjustable lumbar support in front seats

When I bought my T30 recently, it came with factory LEDs front and rear and also a tailgate with window, so I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

The only other thing I'd recommend is to go for LWB if you can. That extra 500mm makes all the difference if you plan to use it as a camper. We cook in ours - induction hob/oven/grill/microwave - and smells haven't become an issue yet... I am planning on getting a Cadac though.

A beer fridge is a must...!;)
I thought the lwb was about 300mm longer not 500mm?

edit: just googled it and it splits the difference, it’s 400mm longer :)

I overlooked that one... for £78 it might be worth it.

Heated seats?

This was the only additional extra I added after placing my order with Vw.
I think I had approx 2 weeks after signing the deal, before the factory confirmed the build date and nothing else could be amended.

Along with the LED headlights, these are a must have - in my little humble opinion.

Last edited:
What are their swivels like? I found swivelling the cali driver seat a right faff, but my offset swivel seems easier. Was my first time though in the showroom so maybe hadn't got the knack

I still find the drivers seat a right faff, I drive with the backrest quite reclined and have to wind it forward and then move the seat back and forwards as I swivel it. Even then I always end scraping it lightly on the b pillar. What would be great would be electric memory seats where you pressed one button to put it in your preferred driving position, but also had another button that moved it all to the right position and angle to swivel. In fact just a fold forward back rest like in a 2 door hatchback would be a help.

I still find the drivers seat a right faff, I drive with the backrest quite reclined and have to wind it forward and then move the seat back and forwards as I swivel it. Even then I always end scraping it lightly on the b pillar. What would be great would be electric memory seats where you pressed one button to put it in your preferred driving position, but also had another button that moved it all to the right position and angle to swivel. In fact just a fold forward back rest like in a 2 door hatchback would be a help.

Well, with electric memory seats, there is more than one memory and according to one post one here, it appears that they can be mounted on a swivel. The latter, is something that I was wanting to ask on here but managed to find it hiding somewhere here in the dark.:thumbsup:

In case it helps anyone in the future, Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically) seems to get added automatically by the VW configurator even without one of the power latching tailgate options so the spec as ordered is:
  • Volkswagen Transporter T30SWB 2.0TDI 150 DPFR StopStart EU6 Highline Van DSG A7 
  • Paint - Solid - Pure Grey
  • Upholstery - Bricks Cloth - Titanium Black - Black
  • Armrest - Drivers and Passenger
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and LED Tail Lights
  • Tailgate without window aperture
  • Basic Single Passenger Seat
  • Swivel Seat Driver - Not Height-Adjustable
  • Swivel Seat Passenger - Not Height-Adjustable
  • Rear View Camera
  • Without bulkhead
  • Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically)
  • Manually adjustable lumbar support in front seats
What date they quoting you ?, see you've gone for the single passenger seat, Never see any used 6.1s with that option..

Back