Need some advice on a new van for conversion...

temma2k2

VIP Member
Hi All,

Looking to buy a new T6.1 and I've put a spec together of what I think might make a great starter van for conversion, but would love to hear people's thoughts on what I do and don't need...

T30 Kombi Highline SWB 150 PS 2.0 TDI 7sp DSG - Ascot Grey
  • Interior - Titanium Black/Titanium Black- Palladium/Black
  • Carpet floor covering in cab
  • Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
  • Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l
  • Heated driver and front passenger seats
  • Heated washer nozzles in front and washer fluid level indicator
  • LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
  • Parking sensors - front and rear with park assist
  • Power latching for passenger side sliding door
  • Rear view camera
  • Reinforced suspension system in rear
  • Swivel seat in cab, driver
  • Swivel seat in cab, passenger
  • Towbar - preparation (incl. trailer stabilisation)
  • Window Van package
  • Without rear model badge
  • Without special seat adjustment
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Cheers

Reactions: AKG
Have you considered or discounted a LWB?

Also, I was warned-off the factory swivel seats by my convertor. It's been well over a year since that conversation, so my recollection is a little hazy, but IIRC, the reason was because the factory swivels don't have height adjustment (whereas aftermarket swivels do).

Have you considered or discounted a LWB?

Also, I was warned-off the factory swivel seats by my convertor. It's been well over a year since that conversation, so my recollection is a little hazy, but IIRC, the reason was because the factory swivels don't have height adjustment (whereas aftermarket swivels do).
Yeah LWB has been discounted...

I had wondered about the factory swivel being a guy with short legs I wondered what the ride comfort might be like with no height adjustment

I had wondered about the factory swivel being a guy with short legs I wondered what the ride comfort might be like with no height adjustment
It depends on your seating position.

I had a factory swivel on the passenger in my last van and ordered both seats on the new van. I didnt want to put up with rattles from aftermarket swivels, as well as the fact they raise the seat higher, but not sure how much.

It depends on your seating position.

I had a factory swivel on the passenger in my last van and ordered both seats on the new van. I didnt want to put up with rattles from aftermarket swivels, as well as the fact they raise the seat higher, but not sure how much.
I guess worse case if I don't like the swivel on the drivers side, I might find someone who wants a swap or sell and buy a non swivel one...

I guess worse case if I don't like the swivel on the drivers side, I might find someone who wants a swap or sell and buy a non swivel one...
Have you sat in a van? Be a thought to try, adjust the seat to where you are comfortable and measure/ compare to a factory swivel height.

Have you sat in a van? Be a thought to try, adjust the seat to where you are comfortable and measure/ compare to a factory swivel height.
To be honest I'm doing this spec a bit blind, once I have a spec in mind I'm going to head to the dealers and see what they have in for me to look at and try, to see if I really need them or if there's anything I've missed.

Things I'm not sure I need are:
  • Parking assist
  • Heated seats
  • Towbar prep
  • Carpet in cab
  • Direct tyre pressure system
And the big one is the window van package and that M1 classification that comes with it

To be honest I'm doing this spec a bit blind, once I have a spec in mind I'm going to head to the dealers and see what they have in for me to look at and try, to see if I really need them or if there's anything I've missed.

• Parking assist
  • Heated seats
  • Towbar prep
  • Carpet in cab
And the big one is the window van package and that M1 classification that comes with it
Of those, i would say heated seats a must.
I ordered a rubber cab and put a tailored rug on top.
I wish i had ordered TPMS and as i am now thinking about a tow bar wish i had ordered the prep.

• Parking assist
  • Heated seats
  • Towbar prep
  • Carpet in cab
IMO, your choice of options should be guided by your likely usage of the van. Heated seats, for example, are very useful in a daily driver, but less so in camper that's only used May to September.

I looked into the window van package and decided against it. Yes, it's cheaper and you get your windows, but the discount is less than the potential re-sale value of the Kombi internals - though, of course, you do have the hassle of selling those internals. As for an M1 classification, unless you're going to be travelling through tunnels/ over bridges that prohibit goods vehicles (e.g. Rotherhithe Tunnel) then there's little benefit. Once converted to a camper, car speed limits will apply, as will Class 4 MOTs. The only slight wrinkle is that you may get pinged by a speed camera and errantly issued with a fine (as the cameras will use your N1 classification on file). These can be successfully appealed, but obviously that's hassle.

One option I overlooked and which you might want to consider is front side curtain airbags. At £400 (ish), it's not an overly expensive option that could protect you or a loved one from serious injury.

I'm generally short with very short legs, 160cm & my feet touch the ground with the factory swivel. Not sure if the pvc is the same as the 6.1 Coast tho. The seats are definitely different to my T6's.

IMO, your choice of options should be guided by your likely usage of the van. Heated seats, for example, are very useful in a daily driver, but less so in camper that's only used May to September.

I looked into the window van package and decided against it. Yes, it's cheaper and you get your windows, but the discount is less than the potential re-sale value of the Kombi internals - though, of course, you do have the hassle of selling those internals. As for an M1 classification, unless you're going to be travelling through tunnels/ over bridges that prohibit goods vehicles (e.g. Rotherhithe Tunnel) then there's little benefit. Once converted to a camper, car speed limits will apply, as will Class 4 MOTs. The only slight wrinkle is that you may get pinged by a speed camera and errantly issued with a fine (as the cameras will use your N1 classification on file). These can be successfully appealed, but obviously that's hassle.

One option I overlooked and which you might want to consider is front side curtain airbags. At £400 (ish), it's not an overly expensive option that could protect you or a loved one from serious injury.
Cheers, I'll deffo be doing heated seats as I fish through the winter

I never really thought about extra airbags, you would think they'd be standard but yeah might be a good addition

Reactions: Bav
Cheers, I'll deffo be doing heated seats as I fish through the winter

I never really thought about extra airbags, you would think they'd be standard but yeah might be a good addition
Now I have visions of you sat in your heated seat, casting through the driver's door into a river/lake/pond! :D

And yes, I think it's quite poor that a full complement of airbags isn't included as standard. I guess that's down to the vans commercial roots and the fact that tradesmen are indestructible :uh run:

Now I have visions of you sat in your heated seat, casting through the driver's door into a river/lake/pond! :D

And yes, I think it's quite poor that a full complement of airbags isn't included as standard. I guess that's down to the vans commercial roots and the fact that tradesmen are indestructible :uh run:
Haha if I could I deffo would, but I am thinking in the winter I could sit in the van whilst the rods are out

There's a guy who lives near me that has a van with a Stressless recliner bolted down in the back of his van. He fishes & plays guitar whilst sat in comfort, apparently.

I am in the same boat as you mate, speccing up a brand new van which will be converted in to a day van/camper. Have come up with :
  • Candy White T30 LWB, Highline spec
  • 7 speed DSG 150PS
  • Swivel seats for driver and passenger (understand about the lack of height adjustment on these)
  • Without bulkhead
  • Tailgate with window aperture and power latching
  • Towbar, removable and lockable
  • Parking sensors front and rear with ParkAssist (LWB so PA will come in handy)
  • Rearview camera
  • Heated washer nozzles in front and washer level indicator
  • 80L fuel tank
Is there anything glaringly obvious that I am missing here?

Also, does anyone know what Side Protection is? Am weighing up if this package is worth £300 more than buying the front & rear sensors, Park Assist and rear view camera separately...

Trailer Assist - Including Park Assist, front and rear parking sensors, rear view camera and side protection​

Thanks

Jimmy

I am in the same boat as you mate, speccing up a brand new van which will be converted in to a day van/camper. Have come up with :
  • Candy White T30 LWB, Highline spec
  • 7 speed DSG 150PS
  • Swivel seats for driver and passenger (understand about the lack of height adjustment on these)
  • Without bulkhead
  • Tailgate with window aperture and power latching
  • Towbar, removable and lockable
  • Parking sensors front and rear with ParkAssist (LWB so PA will come in handy)
  • Rearview camera
  • Heated washer nozzles in front and washer level indicator
  • 80L fuel tank
Is there anything glaringly obvious that I am missing here?

Also, does anyone know what Side Protection is? Am weighing up if this package is worth £300 more than buying the front & rear sensors, Park Assist and rear view camera separately...

Trailer Assist - Including Park Assist, front and rear parking sensors, rear view camera and side protection​

Thanks

Jimmy
After discussions about how Park Assist actually works I would not spec it. eg the PA does not take account of kerbs so may bump up on kerbs or damage wheels. Otherwise, apart from missing LEDs, pretty good spec. :thumbsup:

what they said, go for the LED's worth every penny

Back