Need some advice on a new van for conversion...

After discussions about how Park Assist actually works I would not spec it. eg the PA does not take account of kerbs so may bump up on kerbs or damage wheels. Otherwise, apart from missing LEDs, pretty good spec. :thumbsup:
Oh that’s interesting, thanks for the info. Figured it would be useful to have when driving along the sea front on a busy day looking for a long enough parking space but seems kinda pointless if it’s just going to smash in to the kerb! Wondering if it’d still be useful to have, even just to quickly identify a suitable space before we do the actual parking!

Seems you all love the LEDs so will give that some thought, they’re not cheap but the evidence here suggests they’re desirable when it comes to resale :D

Oh that’s interesting, thanks for the info. Figured it would be useful to have when driving along the sea front on a busy day looking for a long enough parking space but seems kinda pointless if it’s just going to smash in to the kerb! Wondering if it’d still be useful to have, even just to quickly identify a suitable space before we do the actual parking!

Seems you all love the LEDs so will give that some thought, they’re not cheap but the evidence here suggests they’re desirable when it comes to resale :D
That would be my first box ticked unfortunately bought mine second hand with the dreaded h4s swapped them out for h7’s which is a vast improvement but still not a patch on the leds

I suppose it would help identify the space.

Just about ready to place an order with VW for my T6.1 camper conversion, exciting times! Just one question remains, which of these should I select?

Tailgate/trunk lid unlocking from outside
Vs
Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically)​

Not really sure which is better.

Seems you can no longer select a tailgate with window AND power latching either which is a shame.

Just about ready to place an order with VW for my T6.1 camper conversion, exciting times! Just one question remains, which of these should I select?

Tailgate/trunk lid unlocking from outside​

Vs​

Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically)​

Not really sure which is better.

Seems you can no longer select a tailgate with window AND power latching either which is a shame.
For a camper, power latching is up there - it prevents slamming doors late at night, so worth a consideration.
You can always glaze afterwards, and that way you can have all windows tinted to the same level.
You can also retrofit power-latching.

As for the release, adding an internal button isn’t hard (well, I can speak for a T6) but I don’t understand if that is an either/or option because 99% of the time you’d be opening the tailgate from the outside.

Click on the tags for more info

Yeah it's an interesting one. This is what VW said when I asked them this morning:

It’s an odd one that as there isn’t always a difference between Tailgate/trunk lid unlocking from outside Vs Tailgate/trunk lid release from inside (electrically). They can always open the tailgate from the outside as it unlocks with the key fob on the central locking. Sometimes the tailgate has a keyhole for a manual unlocking but sometimes it doesn’t!

The opening electrically from the inside has a small latch that you can use to unlock the tailgate from inside but on converted vehicle / camper you can’t get to it as it’s behind the bed / rear seats and sometimes the converters cover it up when they retrim, the boot area.

I normally just go for the standard Tailgate/trunk lid unlocking from outside, I’m not sure either will make any difference to them. It will depend on what they intend to do with the vehicle

I have never seen a T6.1 Highline camper with a keyhole on the tailgate and I am not sure I want one! FWIW I specced a California just for comparison and that has the Tailgate/trunk lid unlocking from outside as standard, but the idea of a keyhole is really putting me off!

Re the power-latching, I agree it'd be useful to have but if I select 'tailgate without window and power latching' it asks me to remove 'Rear window with heat-insulating glass, heated, rear window wiper and washer system' which I thought could be a useful addition when using the van in the winter months. Would you prioritize the power latching?

Sometimes the tailgate has a keyhole for a manual unlocking but sometimes it doesn’t!
Reassuring isn’t it..
Re the power-latching, I agree it'd be useful to have but if I select 'tailgate without window and power latching' it asks me to remove 'Rear window with heat-insulating glass, heated, rear window wiper and washer system' which I thought could be a useful addition when using the van in the winter months. Would you prioritize the power latching?
I don’t have a rear wash/wipe on my tailgate nor is it heated. I dont find I miss it.
I find the side mirrors are more useful, as half the time you can’t see out the rear window due to the rear seat headrests / camping gear blocking the view.

I ended up going for it without the window aperture on the basis that I'd probably replace the OEM window with one that matches the side windows anyway but have had to forego the rear washer and wiper system to have it.

Back