New to EGR-life and fingers crossed

Gasdoc

VIP Member
So I've had my first T6 about 4 weeks now - 2016 2.0 102 Euro 6, 25,000 miles, ex-fleet but in super condition. I love the van and am looking forward to a long and happy relationship but I'm on a rapid learning curve since my engine light came on the other day! Plugged my wee OBD in and diagnosed code P0401. As far as I can tell from history this is the first time it's faulted on this vehicle. I know it hasn't been driven much in the last year before I acquired it and that might be contributory. I don't imagine VW will be interested in discussing good will and we're out of warranty. So a couple of questions to you more experienced folk if I may:-
1. Some EGRs seem easy to access and strip to clean. This one (for me anyway) appears not to be. Is there a risk of perforating the cooler channels by reaming them to clean, or is there another way to clean them?
2. I understand being careful with fuel might help avoid this issue - avoiding supermarkets, alternating fills with "super" stuff. Does this really make a difference?
3. Should I use a fuel additive and if so which one?
4 What does "flushing" involve and how much could I expect to pay to have that done? There seem to be quite a few stories out there of frequent repeat flushing being necessary.
5. What else should I be looking out for in relation to this issue?
I'm tempted to go for a new EGR at this stage for peace of mind and begin my ownership with a "favourable deck" but I know that might be daft!

Thanks, all, in anticipation.

So I've had my first T6 about 4 weeks now - 2016 2.0 102 Euro 6, 25,000 miles, ex-fleet but in super condition. I love the van and am looking forward to a long and happy relationship but I'm on a rapid learning curve since my engine light came on the other day! Plugged my wee OBD in and diagnosed code P0401. As far as I can tell from history this is the first time it's faulted on this vehicle. I know it hasn't been driven much in the last year before I acquired it and that might be contributory. I don't imagine VW will be interested in discussing good will and we're out of warranty. So a couple of questions to you more experienced folk if I may:-
1. Some EGRs seem easy to access and strip to clean. This one (for me anyway) appears not to be. Is there a risk of perforating the cooler channels by reaming them to clean, or is there another way to clean them?
2. I understand being careful with fuel might help avoid this issue - avoiding supermarkets, alternating fills with "super" stuff. Does this really make a difference?
3. Should I use a fuel additive and if so which one?
4 What does "flushing" involve and how much could I expect to pay to have that done? There seem to be quite a few stories out there of frequent repeat flushing being necessary.
5. What else should I be looking out for in relation to this issue?
I'm tempted to go for a new EGR at this stage for peace of mind and begin my ownership with a "favourable deck" but I know that might be daft!

Thanks, all, in anticipation.
So how have you got on over the past 14 months. Did you get the egr fitted and has it blocked up yet?

So how have you got on over the past 14 months. Did you get the egr fitted and has it blocked up yet?
Been running about a year now since new EGR (just under 10,000M) with no problems. Almost fill at non-supermarket pumps though I'm not sure that makes a significant difference to this - it was advice given previously.
I should say I absolutely love driving my van and wish I'd got one ages ago! Great driving position, very economical, and powerful enough for everything I want to do with it.

It is good to read something positive about the egr issues. Mine going in tomorrow but not sure whether a flush or replacement.

Do you know whether your replacement egr valve and cooler was of a revised type?

I am trying this oil. It is meant to be far superior than the Shell Helix Long Life that VW recommend.

Millers Oils EE Performance C3 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil​

Extraordinary Performance.
Every Day.

Millers Oils EE Performance C3 5w-30 is a fully synthetic, mid SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus & Sulphur) performance engine oil for use in petrol, diesel and hybrid engines. It features NANODRIVE low friction technology for vehicles requiring a C3 5w30 specification. Designed for Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) including Bentley, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda and Porsche. Other coverage includes BMW and Mercedes Benz.

EE Performance from Millers Oils is the “track day ready”, high performance engine oil range ideal for race track and on-road use. The range is specifically designed for vehicles that demand maximum engine performance. Using award-winning low-friction NANODRIVE technology and ester chemistry, EE Performance offers an improved formulation with significant reductions in friction and wear compared to EE Longlife and industry-standard formulations.

Has anyone else had experience of this oil?

Last edited:
Back