1. LakesT6

LakesT6 Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Morning all..

I’m having ongoing problems with the EGR valve on my MY18 204ps tdi. Just for a bit of background, I use my kombi everyday and it does plenty of long journeys with my heavy foot.

I’ve had the yellow eml light come on three times since I bought the van in September last year. Each time I’ve had vw assist out and the van has gone into the dealers. The fault code is always P0401.

The van has had an EGR flush in Dec 18, Feb 19 and June 19. Surely this isn’t acceptable and the dealer should be changing the valve? I’m interested to hear where other members have had their EGR replaced? I have also opened up a case with VWCV customer care for what it’s worth..

79391A1B-BADD-4996-A7CC-7D789E9567E5.jpeg

2. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Seems like your doing the right thing... report it to VW, let them try to fix it. . . . . . . report to VWCV UK etc etc etc.

There are many reports of EGR related issues, some genuine due to blocked EGR Valves due to many short journeys etc and soot/carbon build up.

But there are many also that dont seem to make sense . . . . like yours that has good mileage and long runs.

so is it related to the EGR valve, pressure sensor or the ECU map? . . . . so far its unclear but i have heard a rumor of a ECU software update that may address the issues? . . . . . which would imply that the current software map may be a bit trigger happy in generating the fault code?

either way your doing the right thing and keep passing it back to VW for a fix.

with some pressure you may be able to push for a warranty replacement on the EGR valve via VWCV UK.

Jon likes this.
  3. teamfly

teamfly Senior Member T6 Guru

Wee bit different, but I had engine management light 5 times in 11 000 miles. Scr / nox issue. Had the software update a couple of thousand miles ago and no faults logged since. 150 manual, 2018

Dellmassive likes this.
  4. Oldrat

Oldrat Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Had the EML stay on whilst I was in Spain.
    Dropped into a local VW main dealer there at 5 pm tohopefullymakean appointment for the next day.

0900 next day, van was taken in, fault diagnosed, software updated, and forced regen was done twice to get the figures where they needed to be.
    Later that afternoon, collected and so far (@1k miles later), so good. Runs as sweet as a peach.
    Customer service with this non Spanish speaking Brit was really excellent.

Background 2017 102T28, with 18 k miles now. I regularly do a mix of journeys, but always do 4x motorway runs at pace each week.

I have since been advised however to steer clear of cheap diesel, Shell being recommended as the best for the money.

HTH’s

5. Dieseldonkey

Dieseldonkey 150 DSG Shuttle Conversion VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Does anyone know what the process actually involves with an EGR flush? How is it done and what's involved?

6. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Duno what VW do.....

But for it to be done properly it needs removing and soaking..

Have a quick look here for an idea....

I think a "flush" might be a carb cleaner type spray that may or not help......
    But defo wont clean like removing.

7. DXX

DXX Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

After degreasing a weak caustic soda solution or oven cleaner will do it but test on a piece of scrap aluminium to make sure have the correct strength and don’t dissolve the EGR body.

Dieseldonkey likes this.
  8. LakesT6

Map
    Cheers @Dellmassive currently monitoring the situation, I’m in warranty till Feb 2021 if I need to put more pressure on them when the fault occurs again.

@Dieseldonkey the dealers have a machine that they hook up to the egr, I believe it’s similar to the terraclean method. This is done without removing the EGR, each time the EGR pipe at the front of the engine bay is replaced along the the bolts/gaskets.

Pipe in question;

50FB1275-C2F9-4EF9-9937-F92529335555.jpeg

Last edited: 21 Jun 2019
    Dieseldonkey likes this.
  9. PARESH GOGI

PARESH GOGI New Member

How do you sorted after this issue because I have Same issues in T6 2016 T32 Manuel 105000 miles done and I don’t know what should I do

10. Ashypants

Ashypants Member VIP Member

So my EGR journey was scan with new Carista, stored codes so off van went to Sheffield van Centre. They wouldn’t do anything a said code was a software fault, would only progress further if dashboard light came on - cleared codes using Carista. Few weeks later half way through a 7hr drive yellow coil light came on, plugged in Carista and showed EGR fault (can’t remember code). Took it into Derby Van Centre (could get us in sooner) they looked at it and agreed EGR swap, stayed with them two days for swap (apparently not easy on the EU6 204 engine)new valve and cooler I believe - no issues since.

Dellmassive likes this.
  11. PARESH GOGI

PARESH GOGI New Member

Thank You reply me.

So you means you Fitted New EGR in your Van ? Then after no any issue. Am I right ?

8E28C4B1-2FE9-4FA2-9CBC-A103DDA7FDA9.jpeg

12. Ashypants

Ashypants Member VIP Member

Well VW swapped it, but yeah, since then - 1500 miles - and no problems.

13. PARESH GOGI

PARESH GOGI New Member

Thank You

14. Frost0124

Frost0124 New Member

Map
    I always used premium fuels BP Ultimate felt the smoothest to me in my EU5 140. The EGR/cooler lasted 56kmiles before engine light came on. I have found a replacement brand new EGR/Cooler for £250 on Auto Doc. Has anyone entertained the idea of DYI?

15. LakesT6

Map
    Just to update this, van had EGR flush in Dec 18, Feb 19, June 19, September 19 and just had VW assist out after the light came back on whilst being away in France.

Read the codes with Carista and it’s the same as on all the other occasions. Dealer booked up till February for diagnostics (Lookers Carlisle) so going to try Hadwins Lindale. If VW don’t want to replace the EGR then they can keep the van.

43D887E3-1518-441C-8118-221D908026F3.png

16. LakesT6

Map
    Update; took the van to Hadwins Van Service Centre last week and had the EGR flushed again, all is reported as working okay. Dealer is going to push for replacement of EGR valve and cooler if/when the fault occurs again.

That’s five EGR flushes in 28k miles, the van does regular long journeys and never runs on supermarket fuel.

I’m sure I read on the Cali forum that the EGR Cooler is now a revised/modified part which has a coating on the cooling fins to help reduce soot build up, does anyone know anything about this?

17. Lukavell

Lukavell DITryer VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    They're easy enough to take off and clean, so changing should be easy too. I've cleaned several on different vehicles over the years.

18. Broadside

Broadside Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I’ve just recently got a T6 but my previous car was a Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCi. That car suffered with an EGR that was prone to clogging, particularly on very long runs, such as a summer holiday motorway run of 6+hrs solid driving, nearly always with the P0401 DTC. I tried some fuel additives, only buying premium diesel etc. but none made any difference. Eventually I spent £600 replacing the EGR only for it to clog 3 weeks later, I was beyond angry by this point.

Out of desperation I asked for the oil level to be reduced on the car, because something was contaminating the valve. This seemed to solve the problem and the EGR problems went away. I had an oil change on the car and they filled the oil to the top marker (against my instruction), and the problem came back. Reduced the oil level and the problem went away. I never understood how the two things could be connected, whether some engine oil was pushing through the turbo bearings, or coming up through the crank breather or something.

I know it was a Ford/Peugeot CSA engine and not a VW but the engine principles are similar. If I ever find the EGR clogging on my T6 the very first thing I will do is to reduce the oil level.

Farnorthsurfer likes this.
Tags: