New T6.1 owner, well nearly..... about to order

VW LED lights are a £1104 option :oops:

Maybe have to risk after market at that price.....

I am sure after you have negotiated the actual price of the LED head lights option would be less than the book price. Still expensive of course but how much, are after market light units, by comparison? There are many many posts on here, as I am sure you will know, covering all of the issues regarding head lights, with every possible variation, costs benefits and deficits. Good luck with you choices what ever the are.

I’d have the lights (and was a big thing when we changed our Cali which is also our main car) rather than bodge aftermarket or risk MOT

Thanks again everyone.

I will not be driving it at night very much, but of course, want to make sure it is safe.

It is a daily driver for me. Have a large motorhome for overnight/extended trips and a small tow car for nipping to the shops.

Thanks
BigDean

Hi @BigDean ... Regarding better lights and getting car like features ( heated seats arm rests and alike ) that will make it a nicer van...
Haggle with the dealer....as example if you buy certain extras you could ask for bigger discount....and play one dealer off against another...it’s your money ;)

Reactions: JOG
Hi @BigDean ... Regarding better lights and getting car like features ( heated seats arm rests and alike ) that will make it a nicer van...
Haggle with the dealer....as example if you buy certain extras you could ask for bigger discount....and play one dealer off against another...it’s your money ;)

Thanks for that.

Totally intend to do that. I am buying cash, which unfortunately these days means you get less of a deal as they dont make money on the finance!

I have a great price from Autoebid which gives a good discount for the van itself, but options dont seem to get the same discount.

Heated seats are not of interest. Had them on cars in the past and just dont like them.

Thanks again
BigDean

As I bought mine 2nd hand, 9 months old, I didn’t have any other option but I didn’t put any bodge Lamps in mine. Very happy with them. I do however like my VW LED tail lamps I fitted.

How much does the legally required lamp levelling system and lense washer cost to purchase and fit on top of that?
Not required, the aftermarket LED DRLs are just that, a replacement light unit with and LED DRL strip and halogen bulbs in a projector unit for the main and dipped beams. They are still adjusted off the dial on the dash.

For the OP I would add the factory LED's for around £1k they are worth every penny.

Reactions: JOG
Not required, the aftermarket LED DRLs are just that, a replacement light unit with and LED DRL strip and halogen bulbs in a projector unit for the main and dipped beams. They are still adjusted off the dial on the dash.

Ah yes, sorry I miss read, thought it was LED headlamps. Very sorry.

They are H7 bulbs. Why would I need washer/levelling system ?

No need or the additional levellers or washers with H7.

I took the post 22 above, "Aftermarket LED DRL projectors around £400." to imply that the bulbs where as it says LED DRL projectors because that post did not mention H7 but did have the acronym LED.

Hi Ched,

There is some good advice winging its way at you here. We have a twin axle for bigger breaks which we used to tug with a Discovery. In the meantime, we had my 2012 California Beach as a “fun” car.

Life moves on and we had to consider what we were doing car wise! So, we flogged the Disco and decided to upgrade the Cali for a 2018 DSG (sticking with the Beach) on lower mileage while picking up a low mileage 2018 Mini for the school run.

The net result is that we have a very versatile “family car” to accommodate 2 x kids and 2 x dogs and a run-around Mini. The Cali has LED lights, heated seats, camera, tow bar, folding mirrors ie all the toys you’d want on a car! In addition, we bought a “kitchen pod’ that we can clip in on the rails for days out! Best of all, we can still pull the twin-axle!

it seems to me that you too are making “lifestyle” decisions so I would agree with the advice you are given to “spec it up and haggle like crazy”. Remember, the van you are creating is going to hold its value way more than a regular car! Don’t feel that you are “tied into” the first reasonable deal on the table. Use this forum to get ideas and opinions, then make up your own mind!

However, I must say that as someone who enjoyed his “flash” cars in his day, I wish I’d bought a Cali (or it’s ilk) when my first was born (8+ years ago) as the kids (and dogs!) ABSOLUTELY love it!

While you are at “paper and pencil” stage, it is costing you nothing to think it through!

Finally, I really hope this note doesn’t read like I am patronising or lecturing you! I thought my experience of VW purchases might help!!!

regards,

JOG

My advice is to get as many quotes as possible and play all the dealer's off each other. Do it by email of your not happy face to face or on the phone, that's what I did. Took me 3 quotes to get 10% off the first quoted price. Saved me almost 5 grand that I spunked on a few extras.

Ok I had to go 200 miles further to get it. But that was 200 miles with a grin on my face driving it home.

LED are a must. I'd be going highline too if you can. The new heated windshield is great by the in frost. 1 minute and it's gone.

Good luck

Back