New T6.1 owner, well nearly..... about to order

BigDean

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all,

Absolute newbie here. Just about to order first ever Transporter.

Going to be converting to a camper, so just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I think I am going to factory order:
T28/110
Single front seats on swivels, hence no bulkhead
Tailgate with window (will add privacy film)
Business pack (for AC)
External pack (for colour coding)

Does this seem like a good configuration for a base vehicle? There are only 2 of us most if the time, 2 grandkids occasionally.

Thanks in advance for your help.
BigDean

Is it going to be your main car? If so, you might want to consider electric folding mirrors, heated seats, reversing camera - some of the things that you just expect on a car nowadays!
Good luck with it

I would be tempted to go T30 for the additional capacity on weight in a camper.
Also, what lights does the 6.1 come with as standard now ?

Pete

Is it going to be your main car? If so, you might want to consider electric folding mirrors, heated seats, reversing camera - some of the things that you just expect on a car nowadays!
Good luck with it

Thanks for that, yes main car so will put those ideas on the list.

BigDean

T28 will be slim on any payload potential. Go for a T30. Widespread reports of 110 engines having oil dilution issues.

T28 will be slim on any payload potential.
I'd understood that a typical conversion weighs about 300kg. There are plenty of converted T28s, and they can carry 700kg+, so what load capacity issue is there?

Thanks for the comments on payload. It is going to be primarily a day van, so not too worried, but will consider.

Thanks.

I'd understood that a typical conversion weighs about 300kg. There are plenty of converted T28s, and they can carry 700kg+, so what load capacity issue is there?

Our T30 camper weighs 2400kg mostly unladen (no pop-top either).
Add a full fuel tank, awning, camping equipment, full roof box, passengers, bikes on the back etc and it gets too close to the limit for us to add 8 cases of wine at the ferry port :)

Pete

@BigDean you will find lots of threads on here about poor lights as standard...mine came with upgraded so can’t comment, but I would definitely find poor lights a frustration

Our T30 camper weighs 2400kg mostly unladen (no pop-top either).
Add a full fuel tank, awning, camping equipment, full roof box, passengers, bikes on the back etc and it gets too close to the limit for us to add 8 cases of wine at the ferry port
My T28 weighs 2400kg with just me in it... add three more adults and a load of luggage and it’s probably nearing its GVW

Lots of reports of the lights being bad so an upgrade to the LED headlights would be a really good addition!

Thanks for the comments on the lights, will look into that.

LED head lights are an absolute must, in my opinion. The standard lights are atrocious, difficult and expensive to modify. Even if you manage to change them for some after market fudge, there is always the possibility of being caught out eventually, in the end, when MOT time comes around. A fail is on the cards. Unless you only intend ever, to drive during the day, make LED head lights, the very first tick box when ordering. Then there will be a 100 posts less on the forum on head lamp conversions.;):)

VW LED lights are a £1104 option :oops:

Maybe have to risk after market at that price.....

If I was the cynical type I would have said that fitting standard headlights so bad that they are unusable is a crafty way of setting the actual price of the van £1k higher than listed...but who knows, maybe the standard candles was a genuine attempt by VW

VW LED lights are a £1104 option :oops:

Maybe have to risk after market at that price.....

Just remember that just fitting and using aftermarket LED bulbs/headlights is technically illegal to use on the road in the UK.

Last edited:
People seem happy with the H7 headlights, so at least make sure you have those. As above, I don't actually know what is standard on the T6.1

Pete

Just my tuppence worth here.

I've never had an issue with the standard headlights. They are certainly not the brightest but I've never found them dangerous. I live in Central Scotland, and do a lot of driving in the dark to and from work. A set of Osram night breakers (upgraded halogen lamps) are all that's needed in my opinion. I'm on transporter number 5 so I have plenty experience of the H4 style headlights. My current van has factory Led headlights and they are really good. Turn night to day. I'm guessing it's down to how much night driving you do and if you want modern headlights or not.

You can get nice aftermarket H7 projector headlamps, just a simple calculation of whats cheaper for you. If it has tailgate window, which mine has, I have no use for a rear camera, mine has sensors which do for me. You can go crazy for options if you want to.

Back