New conversion - Underslung LPG tank v Refillable 907 Gas Cylinders

interbear

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all - so I’ve currently specified my future camper build to have a 907 cylinder for the hob / BBQ point plus a Webasto diesel night heater. Always having diesel available to heat the van is a good thing I think. But with space at a premium (would like to store a porta potti somewhere) I’m considering whether or not I should change this for a underslung LPG tank that can cover the hob, BBQ point and heating. Thus freeing up some internal space. Perhaps with a set of LPG filler adaptors it may also be more practical for travelling in Europe rather than having to deal with the lottery of different refillable cylinder types. We will, in particular, do much travelling in France.

I‘m not concerned about the additional upfront cost to fit the underslung LPG tank. As we get to the end of 2021 my only concern is the long term availability of LPG at filling stations in the UK and Europe. I read that Shell had removed it, for example.

Anyone else pondering this choice for a new van or recently made a decision either way? I’d be keen to hear your thoughts.

We have a 6kg Gaslow cylinder permanently fixed in the rear gas cupboard with a hidden external fill point. We have an external hidden BBQ point, gas hob, webasto diesel heater, porta potti (never been used in the 4 years we’ve owned the van) and stil got more storage space than we can use. We do some long 3 month+ trips, including skiing to the Alps. The 6kg Gaslow lasts us a season & costs a fiver to fill. Personally I wouldn’t touch 907s, waaay too expensive. Don’t forget that with a refillable system, you just keep topping it up, you’re never returning part full cylinders or worrying they’ll run out.

I only have the 907 but after 2 years still not emptied 1st bottle supplied with van and I use for external bbq Cadac point and have been on a fair few trips … i bought 2 x new empty bottles and exchanged for full ones 29each so do the maths and see if it pays off in the long run .. more about convenience fro filling up and long interval visits to LPG stations I suppose with the underslung .. but is it worth the extra cost initially.. we have Erbersprecher for heating …

We have a 6kg Gaslow cylinder permanently fixed in the rear gas cupboard with a hidden external fill point. We have an external hidden BBQ point, gas hob, webasto diesel heater, porta potti (never been used in the 4 years we’ve owned the van) and stil got more storage space than we can use. We do some long 3 month+ trips, including skiing to the Alps. The 6kg Gaslow lasts us a season & costs a fiver to fill. Personally I wouldn’t touch 907s, waaay too expensive. Don’t forget that with a refillable system, you just keep topping it up, you’re never returning part full cylinders or worrying they’ll run out.

Thanks. Is your van a SWB or LWB? No issues with finding places to refill?

I only have the 907 but after 2 years still not emptied 1st bottle supplied with van and I use for external bbq Cadac point and have been on a fair few trips … i bought 2 x new empty bottles and exchanged for full ones 29each so do the maths and see if it pays off in the long run .. more about convenience fro filling up and long interval visits to LPG stations I suppose with the underslung .. but is it worth the extra cost initially.. we have Erbersprecher for heating …

Thanks. I do think that capacity wise the 907 would last me quite some time as it would only be used for the gas hob and bbq. Given the cylinder exchange challenges in France, I’d really like to know how long a trip I could take without having to exchange it.

The LPG convenience factor is swaying me but it’s only valid for as long as plenty of filling stations offer the LPG option.

Useful thanks. Actually the nearest on that map is probably the Asda and Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway, over the bridge.

Just a thought whenever we go to France we are channeled through a separate lane specifically where they check that the gas bottle is turned off - yes they do make you get out and open up the locker and they do a test turn.
not sure what the arrangements are for underslung tanks at Eurotunnel and some of the long tunnels through the mountains etc.
l

Any chance of a photo showing where your gas bottle locker located .. I was toying with idea of the gas low 6kg but will struggle to change my gas locker to bigger one as it’s located at the very back next to bed frame .. I’ll show a photo when I get the van out and can ope tailgate

Thanks. Is your van a SWB or LWB? No issues with finding places to refill?
LWB, no problem finding LPG, local Shell garage has it & is keeping it, as does local Morrisons. I also have a set of continental adapters. The beauty is, you don’t need to wait until you’ve run out to top up. See a pump, fill up.

Any chance of a photo showing where your gas bottle locker located .. I was toying with idea of the gas low 6kg but will struggle to change my gas locker to bigger one as it’s located at the very back next to bed frame .. I’ll show a photo when I get the van out and can ope tailgate
Mine is also the very rear bottom cupboard on the drivers side. A bit awkward getting a photo at the mo as we’re “on tour” & fully loaded, including a trailer which makes getting in the rear a tad difficult. I’ll see what I can do. Because we don’t need access to the gas cupboard it tends to get buried.

The only info i can give regs LPG - i have a mate with a full sized american RV which uses LPG for all the central heating etc..the 2 closest garages to him that used to sell LPG have stopped selling it in the last 3 years..so topping up has turned in to a bit more of a headache. With this in mind, it would appear to be on the decline, so im not sure i would invest in it as a long term solution.

Useful thanks. Actually the nearest on that map is probably the Asda and Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway, over the bridge.
That one at Morrisons is incredibly slow - it took me over 15 minutes just to half fill my tank with 30 litres. And last time I tried the Asda one it wan’t much better. Still, it was cheap at 57.7p/litre.

Just a thought whenever we go to France we are channeled through a separate lane specifically where they check that the gas bottle is turned off - yes they do make you get out and open up the locker and they do a test turn.
not sure what the arrangements are for underslung tanks at Eurotunnel and some of the long tunnels through the mountains etc.
l
I believe that LPG converted vehicles are not allowed on Eurotunnel. Not sure why, but perhaps because there is no way to turn the gas off at the bottle? Sure you can switch to run on petrol, but the gas pipework will still be pressurised. Would this also be an issue with underslung tanks for cooking/heating only use?

LWB, no problem finding LPG, local Shell garage has it & is keeping it, as does local Morrisons. I also have a set of continental adapters. The beauty is, you don’t need to wait until you’ve run out to top up. See a pump, fill up.
Where do you get the continental adapters from please ?

The gas canister currently specified to be provided with my conversion is a 907 which is, I believe, Campingaz, not Calor. I’ve read lots about problems with requiring different canisters and regulators when travelling between UK and Europe, meaning that it’s not possible to exchange an empty canister for a full one. But am I right in saying that this only applies when using Calor gas in the UK? As far as I can see it’s not a problem to use and exchange Campingaz 907 canisters anywhere? I’m pretty sure that they are standard all over Europe and can, for example, be picked up at most Intermarche and LeClerc supermarkets in France. Is this correct or have I missed something?

I know that Campingaz is pricier but simple canister exchange is probably worth it for me.

PS. 907 is only Campingaz right, other gas suppliers don’t use the term?

Reactions: CAB
The gas canister currently specified to be provided with my conversion is a 907 which is, I believe, Campingaz, not Calor. I’ve read lots about problems with requiring different canisters and regulators when travelling between UK and Europe, meaning that it’s not possible to exchange an empty canister for a full one. But am I right in saying that this only applies when using Calor gas in the UK? As far as I can see it’s not a problem to use and exchange Campingaz 907 canisters anywhere? I’m pretty sure that they are standard all over Europe and can, for example, be picked up at most Intermarche and LeClerc supermarkets in France. Is this correct or have I missed something?

I know that Campingaz is pricier but simple canister exchange is probably worth it for me.

PS. 907 is only Campingaz right, other gas suppliers don’t use the term?
Correct on all points

Back