New Business Assistance

mhill

Security industry
T6 Guru
As I mentioned in another thread we have a bit of land, used to run as a livery yard but got fed up with all the small-minded silly horsey twits. At the moment the stables are slowly filling up with mine and my dads accumulations and collections and the paddocks are doing very little.

One idea for diversification I've got is to turn one of the paddocks into a camping site for tents, caravans & camper vans starting of small and billy basic and adding to it as time goes on.

We are located right between Clacton and Frinton in Essex with a 2.5 mile drive to some fantastic beaches so the location already has a draw. local competition consists of the kiss me quick Haven & Park Resorts sites some which allow tourers and tents starting a £12 per night for a basic tent pitch and £24 with electric.

Before I start committing serious time and money is anyone able to offer any suggestions or advice, do's & dont's, things they really like a on site and things they don't ?

Thanks for you help, if it all goes to plan I'm sure we could work out a forum discount!

Some friends of our have a small holding and have had good success as an affiliate C&CC site.
They use one of their smaller fields and built a very small but convenient 'outhouse" that has a small washing up area, toilet big enough for disabled access and one shower.

They have half a dozen pitches and can supply hookup, and they are full nearly all year round.

Sounds like a great plan but do bear in mind the "mucky" elements - clearing blocked loos, cleaning grim showers, etc and you're also "on call" mot of the time.

We only look for very basic facilities - loos (cleaned at least twice day), a washing up sink(s) and a shower or two. A hose/tap is also very handy.
As long as the site has half decent drainage, you should be fine.

Check the implications of getting a license too - not sure what's involved but just make sure you qualify for one.

Yeah I think toilet and shower are the main things, I know my wife wouldn't consider anything for more than a night or two without them. Hookup is a bonus
I think affiliations are important as you get added to big companies listing directories and will ping up on there site when people search your area, cheap advertising while word gets around

Toilets, showers and wifi for those who can't do without their phones. One of my favourite campsites in North Wales lets you have camp fires in a fire pit, amazing and quite rare these days. I do quite a few land surveys at caravan parks and the odd campsite, the council usually requires a plan to get planning.

Wifi is on the list, Id be adding a couple more HDIP cameras so throwing another couple of cat6 down the pipe is easily done.

Anyone ever been on a camp site with access controlled gates, how did it work in practise?

Sounds a bit prison like to me. I like the campsites where you turn up any time, pitch where you want and someone collects the money in the morning.

@mhill i own an electrical contracting company, we are general sparkies but do lots of low voltage stuff - fire/security/data/access control/CCTV i will pm you my mobile number happy to chat through your options or answer any questions

We have friends who are mad VW T campers, with van awnings etc etc etc. Now they still use their van but look for camping pods (wooden huts) with just 13amp electricity only, but will take dogs; they regularly pay £40/night and are very happy. Pods cost about £3/4k each, but are usable across the seasons. Do the Math!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

There's a happy medium, we would be pre booked only though.

We have a gated entrance allread to keep the kids and our horses in and the plethora of people out that just drive down "to see what's there" and it also keeps the Irish caravan club away!

We would probably just have a rolling pin that changes on a weekly basis.

We have friends who are mad VW T campers, with van awnings etc etc etc. Now they still use their van but look for camping pods (wooden huts) with just 13amp electricity only, but will take dogs; they regularly pay £40/night and are very happy. Pods cost about £3/4k each, but are usable across the seasons. Do the Math!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's the second part of the plan, I think we can build them ourselves for for a lot less too;-)

OSB OSB OSB, bloody luxury!!!
"I was born int shoe box, int middle o'the road"
"try telling kinds o' today, and they don't bloody believe ye"

I was thinking chipboard, but if you want to push the boat out; then bloody good look t'ya pall:thumbsup::thumbsup:

@mhill I know you aren't considering glamping as part of "stage 1" but I saw this show, which is on next weekend, advertised earlier - its a little way for you to travel but could get you some good ideas and contacts:- Home - The Glamping Show

A friend runs a glamping site with well kitted out bell tents and a semi open air kitchen. You can charge nearly a grand a week per tent down here!

Back