New battery voltage 12.2V

doningtonphil

VIP Member
Hello.

I just replaced my battery. The previous one failed.
However, with the engine running OBDeleven showed battery voltage 14.4 volts - obviously the alternator charging.

I just coded in the battery, but one I do an OBDeleven scan it showed the battery as on being 12.2 volts, but then more recently 12.5 volts. Is this because the smart alternator doesn't need to charge or should the alternator always charge when the engine is running (thus 14.4)volts and I have a problem?

Also, do batteries normally get delivered fully charged or should I have charged before fitting?

Hello.

I just replaced my battery. The previous one failed.
However, with the engine running OBDeleven showed battery voltage 14.4 volts - obviously the alternator charging.

I just coded in the battery, but one I do an OBDeleven scan it showed the battery as on being 12.2 volts, but then more recently 12.5 volts. Is this because the smart alternator doesn't need to charge or should the alternator always charge when the engine is running (thus 14.4)volts and I have a problem?

Also, do batteries normally get delivered fully charged or should I have charged before fitting?
Don’t forget that the battery will be held at around 80% charge due to the stop/start system. My battery is usually around 12.43-12.5V

OK. As long as approx 12.5 is OK.
It was logical to me to see 14.4 which showed the alternator was running, but happy to hear 12.5 is OK.
Why only 80% and not 100%?

To allow for regeneration - when you apply the brakes, part of the energy to be lost will be absorbed by the alternator charging up the battery - so sparing your brakes a little but more importantly storing some of that lost energy as useful energy within the battery.

Back