New alloys and the effect on TPMS, ABS and more.

My new '21 Kombi is now finished thanks to Leighton and Slidepods. More details and photos shortly. I'm just wading through the (quite long) list of issues...
One thing that worried me is that by fitting larger 20in LV wheels, the TPMS has been deactivated. I wasn't to know as the TPMS factory option was deleted "so I wouldn't worry" however, reading the VW owners' manual I see a LOT of safety systems interlinked / dependent, which actually DOES worry me!
Please let me know what will not be working out of the following:
ABS
ESC
BAS
TCS
EDL
Tyre pressure loss.
Etc etc.
My fear is I'm driving with absolutely no safety systems! I'm a good driver but I'd like some electronic help ;(

There are two versions of TPMS. One, the more common indirect type uses the wheel speed (ABS) sensors to monitor changes in individual wheel speeds indicative of pressure loss.
The other direct type uses pressure sensors in each wheel and an additional receiver to monitor actual pressures "directly".
The indirect type can be coded out but everything else should still work as the TPMS is only one of several systems that use the wheel speed (ABS) sensors. It will not have disabled everything else that uses the sensors.
If it was the direct type it will have no effect on anything else as it is completely separate from then ABS sensors.
I cannot think why the indirect system wouldn't work with any aftermarket wheel as long as they all had the same rolling radius (sometimes front to rear can vary a fraction if fitting staggered widths).
A few people on here have retrofitted direct TPMS to their T6 so maybe someone can comment on why this may have needed disabling. I don't imagine the 6.1 would overly different.

Last edited:
Everything else should still work as the TPMS is only one of several systems that use the wheel speed (ABS) sensors. It will not have disabled everything that uses the sensors.
If you want TPMS back you can retrofit the direct version which uses individual sensors in the wheel and a receiver. This would coding to turn on much like the indirect TPMS has been turned off.
Thanks. So if I understand right, the ABS has separate wheel sensors?
im asking as so far what has been explained to me is that by changing the wheel size, this has disabled the TPMS since the TPMS works based on wheel rorations and the VW system only allows for wheels up to 18in. Mine are 20in. I had no choice as LV wouldn’t sell me the van wit out them.
LV are now looking at recoding the VW code to accept their 20in wheels which would effectively turn the TPMS back on.
Until then, I have no TPMS and I assume tyre loss indication either,
the ESC and rear doff lock buttons don’t seem to work which set me reading the manual and I see the list of items that are wheel related, hence my original questions.
My van seems to have suffered a bit from the conversion changes! The pop top I‘m guessing has deleted the roof aerial too or it’s the stereo upgrade :((. See manual screenshot for aerials.

4CF722C3-B87F-4584-BB70-C6FF3D4795A2.jpeg

My new '21 Komi is now finished thanks to Leighton and Slidepods. More details and photos shortly. I'm just wading through the (quite long) list of issues...
One thing that worried me is that by fitting larger 20in LV wheels, the TPMS has been deactivated. I wasn't to know as the TPMS factory option was deleted "so I wouldn't worry" however, reading the VW owners' manual I see a LOT of safety systems interlinked / dependent, which actually DOES worry me!
Please let me know what will not be working out of the following:
ABS
ESC
BAS
TCS
EDL
Tyre pressure loss.
Etc etc.
My fear is I'm driving with absolutely no safety systems! I'm a good driver but I'd like some electronic help ;(
As Leighton were involved they should be the ones who get the question with an answer in an email so you have a record.

As Leighton were involved they should be the ones who get the question with an answer in an email so you have a record.
Yes, they have had the question. I’m waiting for a reply but wanted to see if anyone here knew in the meantime.

Sounds like the indirect type then.
Unless they've changed the rolling radius I don't understand how wheel (rim) size would effect it. The wheels should still rotate at the same speed regardless otherwise your speedo will be out too?
If it's 4 motion there may be additional failsafes to protect the transmission but I'd be guessing. Hopefully Leightons will have an answer.
Yes, there is an ABS sensors for each wheel with Direct TPMS.

im asking as so far what has been explained to me is that by changing the wheel size, this has disabled the TPMS since the TPMS works based on wheel rorations and the VW system only allows for wheels up to 18in. Mine are 20in. I had no choice as LV wouldn’t sell me the van wit out them.
LV are now looking at recoding the VW code to accept their 20in wheels which would effectively turn the TPMS back on.
Until then, I have no TPMS and I assume tyre loss indication either,
the ESC and rear doff lock buttons don’t seem to work which set me reading the manual and I see the list of items that are wheel related, hence my original questions.
My van seems to have suffered a bit from the conversion changes! The pop top I‘m guessing has deleted the roof aerial too or it’s the stereo upgrade :((. See manual screenshot for aerials.

View attachment 135494
Re the pop top, yes the roof aerial will have had to be removed. But most convertors simply move it to the area just above the interior light switches. There’s enough space for it in there and it still seems to work fine. Does on mine anyway.

Re the pop top, yes the roof aerial will have had to be removed. But most convertors simply move it to the area just above the interior light switches. There’s enough space for it in there and it still seems to work fine. Does on mine anyway.
Thanks. I’ll ask them.

Back