Leighton Van upgrade options

Evening all

Having had orders delayed by other UK van conversion companies due to the chip shortage, I am over the moon to have bagged a 4motion 204 van that was in stock at Leighton Vans.

I read only good things about Leighton and so far dealing with James Shaw is a pleasure.

Now the fun part begins finalising the spec and that’s where I need help from this forum as it’s been a long time since my last VW van!

The base vehicle is a very good standard spec and I’m very happy with the LV-R body styling. I was looking to build a swamper style van but as LV don’t do that I’ve decided to fit into their system and in reality the van should go most places I need to go without being raised. See my comments below re height etc.

James explained to me that they sell over 50 vans a month and so they can’t customise like other companies.

I respect that so I figure as I’m also a long way away and ordering remotely, I’ll keep things simple.

My questions are as follows. Il, ask James, but wondering if anyone here has specific experience on any point:

1. Roof bars - spec includes these. I plan to add a pop top roof (LV don’t do one) so if I have the roof bars now, will the van still be under 2m height (french motorway tollbooths etc) in the meantime and do they create any wind noise? I should add that is with Bilstein comfort coil overs. See next point…

2. Coil overs - original plan was air ride fitted at Van Haven on a swamper as recommended by them but as they have no stock and LV don’t do air ride, I’ve decided to go for the best ride I can now non-air. Am I correct in assuming that is Bilstein B14 Komfort? Is it good? Better than the standard Bilstein B14 coil over? With 20in rims do you get a harsh ride at all? Can they be set higher to give some clearance?

3. Tyres - LV have one upgrade only to Uniroyal Rainsport 5s? It’s claimed t9 be the best wet weather tyre which I want as I have some poor terrain and wet roads to nevigate. Anyone else use these tyres? In the dry?

4. Pendle performance - at 204 bhp I’m thinking I have enough power and don’t want to void my warranty but is the ECU remap worth it or maybe a box from DK U.K. which can be removed at will is an easy solution to get to 240bhp?

5. Bed - I need a simple downstairs bed solution. The Slidepod looks very good. Any users?

6. Stereo upgrade - anyone any experience?

General - the rest of the spec seems straight forward to me. I like the look of all LV do except a few minor points which I can change later either there or elsewhere so my last question is really a general one on the quality of the conversion. Is it good? Enough sound deadening? My quote from Van Haven which I can’t now use as they have no vans in stock was a fair bit more expensive but he claims they put a lot more work into sound deadening and other details. I’m Hoon going the LV vans are equally nice anyway.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

paul

Last edited:
Hi … Nice van.. I’d be a bit careful as your location is France….What you do in Uk might not please the EU…In most cases if it’s TUV tested that helps…
Suspension I’d ring @CRS Performance for advice…French roads differ from Blighty
Slidepod…I love mine.. always pay extra for the thicker mattress
I've a T6 and changed the whole sound/ head system…but don’t think it’s that easy to change on a 6.1 it does a lot of different things…but try @Absolut5 for help with sound upgrades
204 engine ..so much power left mine alone…but did the TVS remap on auto box…Love it :)
Roof bars will not always retro fit pop tops

but a nice van…Enjoy your travels and always always post pictures….:thumbsup:

ps.. just the best colour :waving:

Last edited:
I would broaden the search on coil overs. The comforts are grossly over priced for what you get. , much better kits on the market which has matured to better things nowadays. . Feel free to give us a call for full explanation , details and pricing

Good day. Lovely looking van

We can help with you complete modification list on a complete drive in drive out service.

Alaways happy to chat through all your options

Oli

My 17 year old lad often tells me what I could have bought for what I paid for my Caravelle, which was kind of half that amount. He has a point. I have no place to question what another man spends his money on, but that strikes me as one hell of a lot of loot for a van.

Lot of money for a Kombi, wouldn’t be quite so bad if it was a full camper conversion.
I do love the look of the Leighton vans though, especially the new LV-R, don’t think they can be beaten in the looks department.

£75k is a lot, when you think that it's gonna need some more spending on it, coilovers, Ice etc.

To be fair I've got receipts for my van totalling about the same over the last 3 years, it's crazy when you think about it.

For £75k I could have gotten a really nice motorhome, Range, 911 etc but then none of those can do what my van does.

I like the new LV front/rear spoilers, he's missing a trick by not introducing something similar for the T6.

Back