New 2018 In Vw Workshop For 13 Days For Catlatic Converter And Flywheel

AlexT6

Can anyone advise me if there is a VW uk senior customer service where I can raise the issue of my van being held without a release date at Guildford VW service centre. I am entitled to compensation or a replacement vehicle? The service desk didn't even want to give me a lift to the train station. I have spent over £ 50 k on buying a 2018 highline and getting it converted to a camper van. I put out the money on a new vehicle to avoid mechanical problems as I am a woman who travels long term on my own. Absolutely gutted. In 30 years of driving I have never had repairs take more than 2 days on any vehicle old or new. Any advise?

blimey, mine had electric door motor issues at 1000 miles and it took 3 attempts to rectify that..
what mileage have you done ?
have you already spent money on the conversion ?
customer services 08000833914

Have you not got a replacement courtesy vehicle ?
I have never taken mine in and not driven away in a courtesy van (when it’s scheduled work prebooked) if it was recovered there on the spot then often they don’t have a courtesy immediately available but they should arrange for one to be provided in a reasonable timeframe, ring VWCC and complain and tell them you want it sorted

Can anyone advise me if there is a VW uk senior customer service where I can raise the issue of my van being held without a release date at Guildford VW service centre. I am entitled to compensation or a replacement vehicle? The service desk didn't even want to give me a lift to the train station. I have spent over £ 50 k on buying a 2018 highline and getting it converted to a camper van. I put out the money on a new vehicle to avoid mechanical problems as I am a woman who travels long term on my own. Absolutely gutted. In 30 years of driving I have never had repairs take more than 2 days on any vehicle old or new. Any advise?

You don't say if it was a pre-booked job or a breakdown?
The cat replacement isn't a huge job, but the Flywheel will be. My point being, if it's a pre-booked job, then you're probably right to be annoyed, but if it was a none booked job, then I can understand why they are being a little vague with details. On the plus side, the issues should be covered under warranty, because the bill for those jobs will be eye watering.

Sadly the amount of money you spend on a vehicle, won't always dictate the reliability of unforeseen things going wrong (a recent survey by a big warranty company concluded the Range Rover Sport to be the No1 most unreliable vehicle on the road)

How you get a resolve asap, keep us updated.

at least it's not going back and forth, nothing worse than that.
hopefully, when it is back to you, you can put that behind you, and enjoying it

Yes I already had a very bespoke conversion done and paid for. I bought it as a demo with nearly 4000 miles on it and put another 8500 on long road trips to Italy, Switzerland and Scotland.

The repairs and have been over 2 visits one on November 15 to 19 for the catalytic converter and I was offered a car at the time but was working in London commuting on the tube so no need. The second my van went in for the second repair last Wednesday 8 days ago for a flywheel issues flagged when I brought it in for the catalytic convert. I requested a replacement car last Wednesday and was refused. So far I had to return early from a trip to france for the repairs and its cost me time off work, loads of train and cab fares and lots of time chasing the VW peamarsh Guildford centre who is no longer returning my calls.

I have called the UK head office with a complaint. I would now warn anyone against buying VWT6 or a VW California. Worse car purchase experience in my 30 years of owning vehicles.

Was planning on taking the my new van for a 2 month Alps snowboarding road trip in a few weeks but wondering if it will be repaired by then or truly road worthy when I hit the road.

Has anyone had a similar situation and been compensated with VW services, cash reimbursement or equipment?

IMG_20181031_110318516.jpg
This is my conversion with a single sofa bed with storage for my wake and snowboards under the single bed, SCA 196 roof with a pull down double bed, a webasto heather, a 48 ltr under chassis water tank, an inverter, solar panel, dimmable lights and a mini safe and kitchen

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks lovely - hopefully you will get the latest issue sorted quickly and can get back to enjoying the van again soon.

View attachment 33337
This is my conversion with a single sofa bed with storage for my wake and snowboards under the single bed, SCA 196 roof with a pull down double bed, a webasto heather, a 48 ltr under chassis water tank, an inverter, solar panel, dimmable lights and a mini safe and kitchen

Your conversion looks stunning.
I'd let your dealer sort your current problems, and hopefully that will be all for any teething issues, but if you're not happy with the dealership, just use a different one.
Dealers tend to have an intermittent reputation depending on who you deal with, what your issues and expectations are, and how busy they are at the time you deal with them. Some people will dislike a dealership because of a bad experience, where as another person will love the same dealership for different reasons. It's just how it is. Not perfect, and can always improve, but overall VW are far better than any other manufacture i've dealt with.

Don't let this spoil your beautiful camper, and just see it as a curve you can avoid in the future.

I would now warn anyone against buying VWT6 or a VW California. Worse car purchase experience in my 30 years of owning vehicles.

i can hear your frustration, especially if you can't travel because of that! ...
no matter what brand/vehicle/age/dealership, there is an element of luck

this is sad, but it's the case. (Scary when i am waiting for my first van, built next week, and being converted soon after delivery)
this is true for the cheapest economy car to the high end luxury or sport car
(my ex boss in Derby had a Ferrari FF that kept being put on truck to be fixed in Portsmouth every few weeks!)

modern vehicles are extremely complex compared to vehicles of the 1980. not that these were dead simple, but legislations (security/pollution/economy) have made them this way
it doesn't take much for this fragile construction to fall apart

I am sure VW will be able to sort you out. just have to keep harassing them, or use another dealership

Do you have a status update:
- has it been looked at, at all? if not ETA?
- are they waiting for warranty authorisation? (ETA?)
- are they waiting for parts? (ETA?)
- are they waiting for a mechanic's time slot? (ETA?)
- has it been worked on, and are there still some issues? (which?)

if they don't give you phone updates, a visit in person might be required...

I don't think having issues with anything is entirely unusual these days, I'm afraid. But it's how you're dealt with & managing expectations on both sides that needs a lot of effort, and it's often the small things that make such a huge difference. Things like that lift to the train station etc.

Your van looks beautiful, and your time & effort invested into will be rewarded once it's all sorted I'm sure.

Keep at the Customer Care interface & explain how they could make you happy until the problem is solved. That way they have your expectations to manage, and not just a ranting page of cynicism..!

Keep us informed, especially as I have yet to go through this...Gulp..!

Fantastic van. I hope everything gets sorted asap. Then when you get it back you can put it behind you and enjoy the van for a long time.

Thanks everyone. My Van was delivered back to me late this afternoon. I got VW customer care at the head office involved. It seems to work. I appreciate all the sensible advice.

Now next things is to figure out what winter tyres in need for the Alps. Well guess that's another posting.

Cheers All

Just read you van spec. Sounds good but be careful with an external water tank in the alps. It will most probably freeze. Even my internal one did and that’s only a Scottish winter.

Back