MY18 exhaust design

Interestingly, the dealer "technician" hadn't a clue. Let me see what the other new vans look like in the pound :)
MK customer care had to look at the latest technical diagrams to discover there are 2 systems used, standard and short. Seems the Crafter and Amarok are also victims! They've emailed the factory to understand why the short system's been introduced.
I'm not sure whether I've a special van or whether I've been short changed.... Chances are the shorter system is twice the price of the standard to replace :)

Finally resolved > Bulletin from Volkswagen commercial vehicles:

Change of exhaust system on Transporter models
CV0733-17 18 AUG 2017
From week 37 2017 (starting 11 September), all type N1 Transporter vehicles including chassis cabs (but excluding vehicles with the 2.0 BiTDI 204PS engine) will be built with a shorter exhaust system.

The new system reduces weight, and so increases vehicles' payloads by up to 3.5kg. New technical data for affected vehicles will be published on Hub soon.

A similar system has been used before on Volkswagen Group vehicles and is an effective exhaust gas solution. Customers familiar with a longer and more visible exhaust pipe may be surprised or concerned by the new system, but please reassure them that there are no significant differences in its operation.

So, can we now get a small under chassis gas tank where the old rear silencer was fitted??

To those with the short exhaust -- is there still an aluminium heat shield where the old silences was or if not what has been fitted in that location?

A picture of the rear chassis in this area would be nice.

Rod

The rear heat shield has been fitted to my van. I'll take some pics tom..

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what they have done.

I've looked at the 'on-line' ETKA' and can see the new part(s) of the exhaust, it quotes the commencement date of that fitment.

Rod

I think i’d prefer the fumes out the back rather than underneath especially at standstill.

Kinda cool looking though

Yes, it has a penalty when you build a camper which of course needs 'drop-out' vents below gas appliances.

A bit of thought needed there I think, perhaps an exhaust extension out the side like a Ducato.

Rod

1st time under my van today to remove the spare wheel so it doesn't get pinched and drill the holes for the Cali seat rails.
Looks like some one's pinched the rear section of the exhaust system.. When did VW decide to shorten the system so it ends halfway along the van?
Hi there wills I looked under mine I just got a 18 plate t28 swb highline and as you said it is a lot shorter than I would imagine it to be I thought maybe because the last owner lowered it but as your post maybe that is not the case weird

Yes mine is ultra short which seams really weird but that’s how they are doing them now , also there doesn’t seem to be a pattern with them coming off the production line as some extend to the rear and some are cut off short ! I will get an aftermarket stainless exhaust eventually so it’s no biggie but like some of the others said I don’t particularly like the fumes exiting in the middle of the van

Yes mine is ultra short which seams really weird but that’s how they are doing them now , also there doesn’t seem to be a pattern with them coming off the production line as some extend to the rear and some are cut off short ! I will get an aftermarket stainless exhaust eventually so it’s no biggie but like some of the others said I don’t particularly like the fumes exiting in the middle of the van
Hi there Lee hoops I have looked at my fitter at work and his is short as well so it is normal so good news but strange

My van is a 2019 T32 LWB Panel van. It too has a short exhaust, which I don’t think is good for the potential of exhaust fumes under the van, especially for passengers riding in the sliding bed seats.
I have ta Ken the decision to have my exhaust extended in stainless steel with double tailpipe at the rear of the van, “old Skool” style.

Yes I think that's a good idea I will be eventually be going down that route :)
Show us some pics when it's done

I’ve got a short one in a camper too but I’ve told the wife that it’s perfectly normal :oops:

Although she has complained of exhaust gases in the van the engine wasn’t running at the time;)
:slow rofl:

I’ve got a short one in a camper too but I’ve told the wife that it’s perfectly normal :oops:

Although she has complained of exhaust gases in the van the engine wasn’t running at the time;)
:slow rofl:
You need to lay off the beans.

[Copied from new thread]
Hi, had my 2019 Edition on a ramp the other day and noticed the exhaust stops short of the rear axle now. When did VW start doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back