Wanted My wife wants an awning

I really feel a drive away awning is a true test of marital strength! We have one, that strength was tested, three times! I can fully understand why so many come up on here for sale! We love our Fiamma windey outey, no stress but not so good at keeping the dog in... Air certainly, rather than poles, but get an electric pump!

I really feel a drive away awning is a true test of marital strength! We have one, that strength was tested, three times! I can fully understand why so many come up on here for sale! We love our Fiamma windey outey, no stress but not so good at keeping the dog in... Air certainly, rather than poles, but get an electric pump!
Sorry, have I missed something? What is the advantage with air awnings that counters the increased weight, size etc?

Sorry, have I missed something? What is the advantage with air awnings that counters the increased weight, size etc?
We moved years ago from poled tents to air tents, on one particular holiday in Weymouth we were the only tent left standing in a field. Two air tents later, carried on to the drive away. They flex when necessary! Easier to put up. There's enough room in our massive SWB! Well, it goes in.

Fair enough, we tried one and I won’t be going back. In a life time of camping we have never experienced weather that was beyond the cheapest of poled tents and the trade off for this once in a life time event is a tent that is much more expensive and much much bigger when packed and if you know how to pitch a tent is not quicker to pitch either. I do not think it’s worth it.

Fair enough, we tried one and I won’t be going back. In a life time of camping we have never experienced weather that was beyond the cheapest of poled tents and the trade off for this once in a life time event is a tent that is much more expensive and much much bigger when packed and if you know how to pitch a tent is not quicker to pitch either. I do not think it’s worth it.
Do you have a poled awning @cgtmiles ? On our typical 2/3 day getaways we don't take the bl00dy awning, the wind out suits us especially with a dog who was entitled to a telegram from the King last year!

We have a canopy or an awning which we use depending on the requirement and pitch size. Our lab is 1 now so is happy sleeping under the end of the bed so we pitch the canopy for some inside/outside space but we have the 3x3m + 2man annexe awning if we want it (or need if if my teenage daughter chooses to join us). I will take the Pepsi challenge on pitching this verses an air awning

We have a canopy or an awning which we use depending on the requirement and pitch size. Our lab is 1 now so is happy sleeping under the end of the bed so we pitch the canopy for some inside/outside space but we have the 3x3m + 2man annexe awning if we want it (or need if if my teenage daughter chooses to join us). I will take the Pepsi challenge on pitching this verses an air awning
I'll be washing my hairs that day, but I will swap your 1 year old for our nearly 15 year old black lab, still happily cleaning the kitchen floor after every meal! He got weeks left in him yet! I must admit to being tempted by one of those canopy jobs, what's the make to go for with those now? Tempted to put a rail on the drivers side...?

You just need a rail of the sliding door side and I will happily swop/give you the lab but I am required to own it apparently. We have a debus canopy which is great for sunny/rainy days

The only advantage to an air awning is that SWMBO doesn’t offer me a pole to be taken either orally or as a suppository! Other than that, there are many disadvantages: cost, size, weight, increased condensation and winning the “campsite tosser” award!

After pitching our Outwell 4 birth poled mansion with porch, I’m positively looking forward to our Vango poled drive away!

@sipep I too am in the market for an awning......because my partner is in the market for an awning :think smile bounce:

I want something that is a driveaway, air and really REALLY easy to set up and came across this one. Sets up within 3 minutes. Not the cheapest but probably not the most expensive too

@sipep I too am in the market for an awning......because my partner is in the market for an awning :think smile bounce:

I want something that is a driveaway, air and really REALLY easy to set up and came across this one. Sets up within 3 minutes. Not the cheapest but probably not the most expensive too

I've got the big brother of that the Touring Air.
Bear in mind when they say 3 minutes, that really isn't being completely honest.
Great quality though.

I've got the big brother of that the Touring Air.
Bear in mind when they say 3 minutes, that really isn't being completely honest.
Great quality though.
I just watched a YouTube video, the advert doesnt actually say 3 minutes. Looked straight forward enough though!

Oh dear, I should probably think better of entering this discussion.

We have a poled 'awning' and an air tent. The poled awning is a motordome pro quick erect system, so mid way between poled and air really. The longest part of pitching it is pegging it out, which is the same for the air tent. Going away for up to a week we use the motordome, but we don't attach it to the van, too much faff for little benefit. For full disclosure we have a Fiamma as well, easier to bridge the gap if we need to. Two-week holidays, often two centre, we use the large air tent. The pack size is massive, and about 40Kg. Air beams are easier to put up than poles, but I'm not convinced there is that much time saving involved over the full time it takes to set everything up and the pack size and weight are disadvantages..

We had a large tent before we got the van, which is why we ended up with both. Starting afresh I'd go for a 4 man poled tent with decent living space and covered porch, plus the Fiamma. Haven't run into any problems using a separate large tent at campsites but we do ask when booking and declare that it is not a driveaway awning.

We have the vango palm same size as the trip air I can put it up on my own if I have to in around 10 minutes and size wise in the bag their not very big and quite light they only have a clip in ground sheet which go us is an advantage some sites don't like non breathable ground sheets and gravel hard standings would wreck it

Back