Wanted My wife wants an awning

@sipep I too am in the market for an awning......because my partner is in the market for an awning :think smile bounce:

I want something that is a driveaway, air and really REALLY easy to set up and came across this one. Sets up within 3 minutes. Not the cheapest but probably not the most expensive too

Hi Chris.

Thank you for the suggestion.. my needs as the same as your... Quick and and out.... Say no more... Wink wink ....etc

I've been looking up Vango Faros II or the 3... But @Bargy62 makes a good point.. I don't want to groundsheet/bottom getting buggered by hard standing peddles/rocks

My wife wants an awning.... So by proxy... I want an awning.

I don't care really what it is.. but I like a bargain
Wait while she's put it up in a gale & taken it down in the rain, packed it up wet & hung it in the living room to dry. She'll soon change her mind. We've had 2 driveaway awnings & they are more trouble than they're worth (IMHO, other opinions are available). We now have a Palm Beach canopy which fulfils all of our awning requirements.
NB air awnings take up a disproportionate amount of space in the van when packed up, so less room for wine, gin, shoes, hair straighteners etc.

Vango Como Air (thicker material than its related Cove Air apparently?) for 2 nights or more. First time set up in dusk/night in a shorter time than anticipated……though much huffing n puffing exchanged between Mrs D and me .

Only been up couple times since in about 20-30 mins . Hardest bit is working out which end is which etc and the whole canopy distance thing on the drive away . For me the 3 air beams are easy to inflate , supportive to move around as a whole for positioning and the lack of that bloody irritating pole snagging .

IMG_1561.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't comment on a poled awning as I've only had air, did have (still got) 4 berth poled tent, used once and sat up in the eaves of the garage.
Currently got the Outdoor Revolution T4e, T'is a big bugger but have got the hang of getting up and rigid in about 30 minutes Fnaar Fnaar!
The driveaway attachment kit is simple enough to use, even re-attaching after driving away was simple enough using a spare guy rope for guidance.

DSC_5562.JPG

Originally didn’t want an awning, then had a multi rail fitted to stop rain coming in the side door, then saw a Vango Cairns Low in GoOutdoors for half price, so now we have an awning. With poles.
If you can go and see the size of packed air and poled awnings, it might make the decision easier.
I can put it up in about ten minutes on my own now, and there is scope for extra guy lines if it’s breezy. No fixed groundsheet, but an advantage on some sites as others have pointed out.

Well, fancy having a thread where we are of differing opinions! I would imagine @sipep has made an easy decision there!
If you're short on space go poles!?
Our rear rib type seat in the van is not the most comfortable for long drives, but with the packed air awning acting as a footrest/pouffe it does become quite comfortable!
Sadly, I want another smaller one too. I'll have to sell something first..
Anyone want an 8 man Highgear Air Tent with Air porch for £250? It's 'kin huge in its wheeled bag and weighs a ton.

How about putting away times
Similar, extra 10 minutes to roll on it and crawl up and down it to lose the air and make it as small as possible. Never had an issue getting it back in the slightly oversized bag.

My good lady and I have a very long history with tents of all shapes and sizes. From large steel-poled canvas monstrosities to tiny two-person (just) lightweight backpacking tents.

One of our favourites was an old purple Khyam vis-a-vis style tent that was quick-erect . It had built in pole in the centre section you just opened like a complicated umbrella and then tow short poles either side. After some practice the tent could be up and pegged out in under 10 mins as I remember.

We've been through quite a few large family tents with poles and only recently went to air beams. We love the air tent but it is pretty bulky and heavy. I personally feel it it quicker/easier to erect than some of the similar poled tents but it also takes up considerably more space and weight.

Today our new air awning arrived. After much research and procrastination we went for a Vango Air Cove III in the end Not had a chance to put it up yet but will at the weekend.

F9645CD6-F2A3-4A3F-B496-39DCC55DCD14.JPG

I really feel a drive away awning is a true test of marital strength! We have one, that strength was tested, three times! I can fully understand why so many come up on here for sale! We love our Fiamma windey outey, no stress but not so good at keeping the dog in... Air certainly, rather than poles, but get an electric pump!
First trip away with the Kampa Touring Air LH to Brig's farm Lyme Regis last year. We have the build time down to 20 minutes now, gets easier every time!View attachment 233738
We have a Kampa Touring Air, it is a fabulous bit of kit. Easy to put up and take down. We have a Thule BackUp box that is towbar mounted and holds the awning and lots of other camping.
It is easy to put up and take down if you practice, definitely not a test of martial strength. As with everything, the more you fo it the easier it gets. Just have everything to hand and buy better pegs.
I recommend you have a length of bright coloured guy rope or something similar that you peg out next to the drivers side wheels once set up so you know where to line up your van when you come back from a day out.
If we are going away for a couple of nights we just use the wind out awning as we don't take as much stuff.

Seeing as we only use our Vango Airbeam Tailgate awning as on-site storage and never attach it to the van, I think I'd go for a Joolca Double Ensuite next time - 2 compartments (1 for loo/shower and 1 for storage), incorporated folding poles and easy peasy to put up/take down (at least according to the vids I've seen).

We have a Kampa Touring Air, it is a fabulous bit of kit. Easy to put up and take down. We have a Thule BackUp box that is towbar mounted and holds the awning and lots of other camping.
It is easy to put up and take down if you practice, definitely not a test of martial strength. As with everything, the more you fo it the easier it gets. Just have everything to hand and buy better pegs.
I recommend you have a length of bright coloured guy rope or something similar that you peg out next to the drivers side wheels once set up so you know where to line up your van when you come back from a day out.
If we are going away for a couple of nights we just use the wind out awning as we don't take as much stuff.
Would love to see a photo of the Thule backup box set up.. if you have one

Seeing as we only use our Vango Airbeam Tailgate awning as on-site storage and never attach it to the van, I think I'd go for a Joolca Double Ensuite next time - 2 compartments (1 for loo/shower and 1 for storage), incorporated folding poles and easy peasy to put up/take down (at least according to the vids I've seen).
Love the Joolca for that. Toilet in one side and everything else gets chucked in the other side!

IMG_7894.JPEG

My good lady and I have a very long history with tents of all shapes and sizes. From large steel-poled canvas monstrosities to tiny two-person (just) lightweight backpacking tents.

One of our favourites was an old purple Khyam vis-a-vis style tent that was quick-erect . It had built in pole in the centre section you just opened like a complicated umbrella and then tow short poles either side. After some practice the tent could be up and pegged out in under 10 mins as I remember.

We've been through quite a few large family tents with poles and only recently went to air beams. We love the air tent but it is pretty bulky and heavy. I personally feel it it quicker/easier to erect than some of the similar poled tents but it also takes up considerably more space and weight.

Today our new air awning arrived. After much research and procrastination we went for a Vango Air Cove III in the end Not had a chance to put it up yet but will at the weekend.

View attachment 233739
This looks a great choice, how much did you manage.to.find it for?

Back