My leisure bat set up?

J88arv

T6 Guru
Hi all, I purchased a t6 with a leisure battery set up already Installed.
The kit chargers the battery and also runs a couple of USB ports and a 12v outlet.
However the kit I have like I say works bang on but a friend of mine seems to think it looks odd??

please help?
Ow and mines a stop start

320B2DDE-5B21-4A18-985E-00AB511EED9E.jpeg

4FAC938C-9114-473B-9835-EB9D84DEF877.jpeg

In what way does he think it looks odd ?

That black box marked TF1170-3 is an old school split charge relay. Not the best device in a modern vehicle to keep a leisure battery charged, but if your demands on it are low, then it will work fine, as you are finding.

If you start to stress the leisure battery a bit more with more attached electrical devices, then you might find it runs out of power quickly.

Your leisure battery looks fairly small too. Does it have a Ah rating on it ?

if it works for you, then I would leave it. The upgrade is to replace the split charge relay with a Battery to Battery charger, which is much more expensive.

Pete

That black box marked TF1170-3 is an old school split charge relay. Not the best device in a modern vehicle to keep a leisure battery charged, but if your demands on it are low, then it will work fine, as you are finding.

If you start to stress the leisure battery a bit more with more attached electrical devices, then you might find it runs out of power quickly.

if it works for you, then I would leave it. The upgrade is to replace the split charge relay with a Battery to Battery charger, which is much more expensive.

Pete
It’s a 50AH marine bat reading it but to be fair we will run a cool box at most.

we have ehu and bat charger (in progress of installing) for camping etc

Pete
Would an upgrade be a faff from this?

If you need more leisure battery power then a bigger leisure battery and B2B charger are needed. Both should drop in relatively easily, but you are looking at £300 ish plus fitting.

Pete

If you need more leisure battery power then a bigger leisure battery and B2B charger are needed. Both should drop in relatively easily, but you are looking at £300 ish plus fitting.

Pete
Would fitting be a lot more then what I have?

Looking at what's there you'd be starting again to fit a proper dc dc charger and bigger battery. Not a complex job mind.
So couldn’t use the current wires and bat feed? Like I say it’s only a day can with ehu when we go away but good to know if I do upgrade what is needed

So couldn’t use the current wires and bat feed? Like I say it’s only a day can with ehu when we go away but good to know if I do upgrade what is needed

wiring looks undersized for any serious use to be honest.

It’s difficult to comment without physically seeing all your current setup, and better understanding what you might add in the future. Without doing that, any advice could be dangerous.
I think your best bet is to take it to an expert when the lockdown is over.

Pete

It’s difficult to comment without physically seeing all your current setup, and better understanding what you might add in the future. Without doing that, any advice could be dangerous.
I think your best bet is to take it to an expert when the lockdown is over.

Pete
Totally agree, I have no intention of changing anything as it works. Like I say got a doubt when my mate questioned it however it works a treat for what I need. May upgrade later on

Right another question, what/where/how’s best to secure the ehu unit? I was thinking to the side of the seat but then looking online I’ve seen plenty folk put them next to the battery

You will eventually run into trouble with that set up, especially if using a cool box.
What sort of trouble?? What is needed to change? Like I say I would only use a cool box when travelling to a place to then go onto hook up

Over time the battery will get lower and lower until eventually it be damaged beyond redemption. The cool box is the killer. How will you power that when on hook up?

Standard ehu kit like the one we’ve been speaking about with a smart charger to sort the battery out

This will probably save you then, especially if you camp predominately with a hook up. Keep an eye on the battery voltage at the end of each trip. See how you get on.

Another question for a friend now. How would you run this cable into the c pillar to put sockets near the seat belt or would you just fit them somewhere else?

6BEA4477-6100-4624-9E9B-6DA7DF36322E.jpeg

Another question for a friend now. How would you run this cable into the c pillar to put sockets near the seat belt or would you just fit them somewhere else?

View attachment 67092
Up b pillar, around top of door, down into c pillar. Idk any way to access c pillar directly from the step.

Up b pillar, around top of door, down into c pillar. Idk any way to access c pillar directly from the step.
Ok ace

he has a poptop so maybe tricky, I’ve told him to go in the panel under the window drivers side and run it under the kombi Matt behind the seats. Does this seem ok?

Back