My boy is going in for a major operation today

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So the day I've been dreading for so long as finally arrived. Today my boy goes in for a major operation. Like all parents I'm extremely anxious of how it will go. I've not slept for a number of nights with worry. Hopefully Midland VW will take good care of big red while he has a cam belt replacement ;):D

My baby (gender fluid) is also having his/her/their bits meddled with at Martins Basingstoke today as he/she/they are having the cambelt, water pump and aux belt done today along with his/her/their first MOT.

I'm letting mine decide for his/her/their self when any intervention on his/her/their's personal space is allowed. I feel guilty enough as it is to expect him/her/they to take me wherever I want to go, whenever I want to without any consideration for the invasion of personal liberty he/she/they may feel. Although I'd like to think that my guidance will be for his/her/their own good, I have to respect his/her/their opinions and feelings, but the reality is that one day, realisation will hit, probably with catastrophic results and he/she/they will see that maybe Dad was right all along.

I'm letting mine decide for his/her/their self when any intervention on his/her/their's personal space is allowed. I feel guilty enough as it is to expect him/her/they to take me wherever I want to go, whenever I want to without any consideration for the invasion of personal liberty he/she/they may feel. Although I'd like to think that my guidance will be for his/her/their own good, I have to respect his/her/their opinions and feelings, but the reality is that one day, realisation will hit, probably with catastrophic results and he/she/they will see that maybe Dad was right all along.
Carefully explain the term “Dad” to avoid triggering him/her/them.

So the day I've been dreading for so long as finally arrived. Today my boy goes in for a major operation. Like all parents I'm extremely anxious of how it will go. I've not slept for a number of nights with worry. Hopefully Midland VW will take good care of big red while he has a cam belt replacement ;):D
I’m sure he’ll be in safe hands they have good surgeons there :thumbsup:

My baby (gender fluid) is also having his/her/their bits meddled with at Martins Basingstoke today as he/she/they are having the cambelt, water pump and aux belt done today along with his/her/their first MOT.
3 year old cambelt change ? By way of mileage? @JOG

Last edited:
Must be the day for it, pick mine up this afternoon after cam belt, water pump etc and service at SVS Dundee.

The consultant just rang me. Procedure went well but front pads are 90% gone so am advisory on my MOT. He sounded miffed when I said not to bother doing them as I’m going to put “big brakes” on soon! I’m on my way to collect him/her/them now. The ungrateful brat doesn’t appreciate the money we spend on him/her/them. (Cambelt on van with 32k miles…..disgraceful!)

The consultant just rang me. Procedure went well but front pads are 90% gone so am advisory on my MOT. He sounded miffed when I said not to bother doing them as I’m going to put “big brakes” on soon! I’m on my way to collect him/her/them now. The ungrateful brat doesn’t appreciate the money we spend on him/her/them. (Cambelt on van with 32k miles…..disgraceful!)
It gets worse! No advisory on MOT (other than the “didn’t check rear seat belt due to child seat”) for my brakes or brake fluid. The “advisory” was from VW following their inspection!

Popped into my friendly local tyre and brake fitter - brake pads are 60% worn, in his view! Showed him the £215 quote from stealer to fit front pads and we fell about laughing.

Popped into Tescos to fill up (see pic) and I quickly stopped laughing! (That price is following a price reduction after the fuel duty announcement!)

A288CA35-1F8D-473C-9905-532D89BF01A8.jpeg

It gets worse! No advisory on MOT (other than the “didn’t check rear seat belt due to child seat”) for my brakes or brake fluid. The “advisory” was from VW following their inspection!

Popped into my friendly local tyre and brake fitter - brake pads are 60% worn, in his view! Showed him the £215 quote from stealer to fit front pads and we fell about laughing.

Popped into Tescos to fill up (see pic) and I quickly stopped laughing! (That price is following a price reduction after the fuel duty announcement!)

View attachment 150384

someone needs to pass on the message onto the 2 fuel stations I passed in south wales this morning, the it should go down 6p not increase it by 6p!

Fuel stations pay for their fuel when it goes into the tanks, so some will still be selling stock that they will have paid higher duty on. They won't be able to pass any savings on until they buy it at the lower rate.

Another local garage put their diesel up 5p yesterday morning in anticipation of having to drop the price in the afternoon!

Fuel stations pay for their fuel when it goes into the tanks, so some will still be selling stock that they will have paid higher duty on. They won't be able to pass any savings on until they buy it at the lower rate.
Isn't fuel duty is charged at the point of sale to the customer?

I'm going from what a small fuel station owner was saying on the radio yesterday.

It does. If a builder pays 20% VAT on a load of concrete on Monday, then the VAT rate gets reduced to 15% on Wednesday. He still has to charge the VAT at 20% for the concrete to the client on Friday, otherwise he'll be standing to loose the difference out of his own pocket.

It does. If a builder pays 20% VAT on a load of concrete on Monday, then the VAT rate gets reduced to 15% on Wednesday. He still has to charge the VAT at 20% for the concrete to the client on Friday, otherwise he'll be standing to loose the difference out of his own pocket.
VAT is invoiced at the point of sale. The builder would reclaim his VAT payment from HMRC at 20% and then invoice the customer at 15%. The two transactions are unrelated as far as HMRC are concerned. If the builder is not VAT registered he would need to increase the base cost, it would be illegal to charge VAT at 20% when the rate is 15%.

Some B2B transactions you won't even pay VAT if you supply your VAT number.

I'll be honest though I've got no idea on Fuel Duty. What happens if you own a garage and have 1000 litres in your tanks and had paid 10p Fuel Duty. You then receive a delivery in which you have paid 15p Fuel Duty and it get's mixed together. You can't charge a variable rate of Fuel Duty it's a fixed sum, maybe Fuel Duty is not charged like VAT but paid for exclusively by the garage and then passed on as a cost.

This is also ignoring the fact that most major petrol stations would have purchased their fuel well in advance of the current situation. Though I guess smaller independents wouldn't have that option.

Back