Mv Aero Heater Remote Control Fault

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE, Security' started by Mccoatup, 30 Nov 2019 at 12:55.

1. Mccoatup

Mccoatup Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Bit of a long shot, but has anyone used the remote control facility successfully on the MV Aero Diesel Heater? I have created my own GSM and UHF remote control switches for the heater which connects the remote control pin for the heater to +12v (Yellow and Red/Yellow wires on Remote Control or GSM module socket) as confirmed by the UK importer, MV Heating. However it doesn't ignite and just blows cold air. It's meant to set itself to 25 degrees when the remote switch is operated. I will try to speak to the tech man at the importers but he's a hard man to get hold of.

2. oldiebut goodie

oldiebut goodie Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Don't know these heaters ( presumably you mean that you have an AIRO?) but if you are not getting any error codes from the heater it seems like you are starting it in ventilation mode. I only have a general install manual for an Airo, no workshop manuals. ( Although ventilation is on red/white wire on the circuit diagram that I have - for a Airo 5 ) Yellow and blue appear to be the switch on wires for the remote control receiver in that diagram.
    All that I can offer on this heater.

3. Mccoatup

Map
    Thanks Oldiebut goodie! I tried using the blue wire this morning but no joy I'm afraid. Yes the Airo is installed and has been working fine under manual control since I had it fitted a couple of years ago. I have dug up a number of manuals online for the Airo 2 (mine) and Airo 5 and there are some differences in the wiring diagrams/wire colours between them so it's hard to know what's the right one. I have found one diagram (as attached) which actually shows the innards of the control module, but it's very hard to read and there are critical bits of the controller circuit diagram missing too which doesn't help. I did ask them about the remote connection when I had it fitted and he said the loom I had didn't include the remote connector so he sent me a replacement, so maybe it's not wired correctly.
    Not giving up though, and will hopefully get to talk to the techie man at MV Southampton on Monday. If I know he's going to be there I can always drive the van over (only 20 miles away) and get him to check it out.

MV Aero Circuit Diagram.png

4. oldiebut goodie

Bottom right is the on/off switch so if your remotes are latching I would have thought simulating the red and black wires switching together would give you turn on - this is exactly what I do with older Webastos, red is 12v and it is fed to the black as it is on their on/off switch.
    Top right push button switch - do you have it? If so what is its function - immediate switch off or switch on?

Yellow appears to be for the leds.

5. oldiebut goodie

this is from an unlabelled unknown heater in my files but its similarities lead me to believe that it is an Airo also: ( just a bit clearer ) ( also just noticed ventilation wire colours have swapped red/white to white/red)

unknwn.jpg

6. oldiebut goodie

Here is the complete (older) file, it has a lot more detail than the recent offering from Airo - looking closer at the Airos it appears that they are a copy of the Webasto Air Top 2000ST so duplicating the control switch on the red and black wires at the X9 connector with your remote switch should do the trick albeit without the leds operating methinks. ( This is exactly how I have done it on the Webastos )
    Using the latest wiring diagram (below) - IF it is wired the same as the Webastos putting12v ( red/yellow ) to the yellow will not work as the yellow should be a signal wire only.

latest.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Mccoatup

Map
    Fantastic Oldiebut Goodie! Thank you so much for all this info which I will study before I go out to the (freezing cold) van and try again.

8. Mccoatup

Map
    Success at last! Looking at your legible version of the circuit diag I was even more convinced that the yellow wire was the one to use as that would still make the yellow led on the controller come on with 12v connected to it. I did do an electronics degree (but that was in 1976 so my knowledge was a bit rusty), and I could see that the yellow wire was turning on the mosfet switch. I had read previously that the remote would set the heater to 25C in thermostat mode, but that seems to have been duff info, as I saw that my rheostat was turned to minimum and when I turned it right up, lo and behold it all started working!
    So thanks for all your help, Oldiebut Goodie.
    I will write up what I've done as for around £45 I've got a tracker, a van entry alarm, a short range key fob remote control and a GSM remote, with confirmation by text that the heater is on. (I've time-limited the heater "on" time to about 30mins in case someone presses the remote fob accidentally.
    Am happy now:)

Markymark likes this.
  9. oldiebut goodie

Well done! :mexican wave:It helps when you have it in front of you, I am familiar with the innards of the Webasto controllers but haven't seen an Airo one. It may well be like the Webasto in that the ST Webasto has two means of switching on, W-bus and 12v signals.
    The basic rotary rheostat controller on the Webasto has the 12v on/off switch operated by the dial - you have to disable the switch and leave the temperature set on the dial if you use a cheapo remote to turn it on/off. The Telestart remotes work on W-bus signals so there are the two methods.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019 at 14:49