Multiple Engine Management Faults

I'm ex RAF so maybe my tolerance is a little higher and I'm used to routine and this has now become routine, they have it for two weeks I have it for one week (in work we are comparing it too one of those extremely rare Ferrari's, where they invite you to buy one, you hand two million Euros over to them and they let you have a lend of it now and then, they are not road legal too)
It's become part of my life now. Wrong I know, but I've got approx 8K stuck in this van which they say they haven't got to cover. I haven't pressed this yet but will heavily be when they return to work next week.

What did you do in the RAF?

I was a spark in GEF for nearly 10 years.
It really does teach you patience lol

@Twoguns, mine is still with dealer for the foreseeable future as they don't have the tooling to fix.

They have found me a replacement vehicle for tomorrow but it will have to be a pick up truck as they don't rent out auto vans. What have they given you as a replacement?

Looking like we will have to find a 204 dsg and try to come to an accord with the money. Otherwise may have to split the fleet and get a Vito.

I have a 17 plate 150 manual, coincidently bought from the same dealer as @Twoguns
Hasn't long gone over 3000 miles and the EML light came on on Monday, just outside Wigan on my way back to Swansea.

Phoned VW driverline and they sent a VW Roadside Assistance van, guy was super knowledgeable, plugged in diagnostics (kicking myself as I can't remember exactly what the error was), something to do with NOx and SCR sensor. But he said he'd seen it a few times and just needed to recalibrate the AdBlue level sensor, which he done and then reset the light. Drove the remaining 230 or so miles with no issues.

The way he explained it was that they use an ultrasonic sensor to detect the level in the adblue tank, as a traditional fuel sensor would be damaged as it's quite corrosive stuff. If the tank has been filled without using a VW adblue bottle (one that screws on to the filler), you risk over filling the tank and begin filling up the filler neck. The van then knows it's using adblue but the level isn't dropping so it panics and throws up an error code that isn't actually the real problem. He pointed out that if you look at HGV's their adblue filler is on level with the top of the tank (no filler neck as such) to prevent the same problem. I'd topped mine up by using the adblue pump at a Shell garage, just waited for the handle to click and thought I was done.

By no means am I saying that this is the same issue as @Twoguns has experienced, and I really feel for you dude, your patience is outstanding! Just wanted to let people know of my experience.

Last edited:
I have a 17 plate 150 manual, coincidently bought from the same dealer as @Twoguns
Hasn't long gone over 3000 miles and the EML light came on on Monday, just outside Wigan on my way back to Swansea.

Phoned VW driverline and they sent a VW Roadside Assistance van, guy was super knowledgeable, plugged in diagnostics (kicking myself as I can't remember exactly what the error was), something to do with NOx and SCR sensor. But he said he'd seen it a few times and just needed to recalibrate the AdBlue level sensor, which he done and then reset the light. Drove the remaining 230 or so miles with no issues.

The way he explained it was that they use an ultrasonic sensor to detect the level in the adblue tank, as a traditional fuel sensor would be damaged as it's quite corrosive stuff. If the tank has been filled without using a VW adblue bottle (one that screws on to the filler), you risk over filling the tank and begin filling up the filler neck. The van then knows it's using adblue but the level isn't dropping so it panics and throws up an error code that isn't actually the real problem. He pointed out that if you look at HGV's their adblue filler is on level with the top of the tank (no filler neck as such) to prevent the same problem. I'd topped mine up by using the adblue pump at a Shell garage, just waited for the handle to click and thought I was done.

By no means am I saying that this is the same issue as @Twoguns has experienced, and I really feel for you dude, your patience is outstanding! Just wanted to let people know of my experience.
That's a top tip mate! One question......why did you need to top up the adblue at 3000?

That's a top tip mate! One question......why did you need to top up the adblue at 3000?

Filled mine up around the 3000 miles mark as the dash was telling me, Had a free gallon of adblue from dealers with the vw filler thingy

This is a really dumb question, and I'm sure the answer will be in the handbook.....but given that topping up the adblue might not be without its issues.......how did you know how much to put in? I have a tendency to brim everything......after what hwd612 said, I think I might be a little more careful! :thumbsup:

This is a really dumb question, and I'm sure the answer will be in the handbook.....but given that topping up the adblue might not be without its issues.......how did you know how much to put in? I have a tendency to brim everything......after what hwd612 said, I think I might be a little more careful! :thumbsup:

Well simple as i am i just connected the vw adblue thingy to the filler and held the container up until it stopped filling (nearly 10l i think) got bored standing there like a Muppet seem to take a wile but knowing me i was doing it wrong :unsure:

I'm exactly the same pal but the dash does tell you what quantity to put in, however you do need to go into the settings and change the units to see it in litres instead of gallons. Then just top it up at the pump being careful not to go over the maximum value displayed on the MFD. Or as @StudleyGlass said just use a proper container and it automatically stops flowing once it's at the right level (although it's like 60p/l on pump compared to about £2/l when bought in a bottle).

I'm exactly the same pal but the dash does tell you what quantity to put in, however you do need to go into the settings and change the units to see it in litres instead of gallons. Then just top it up at the pump being careful not to go over the maximum value displayed on the MFD. Or as @StudleyGlass said just use a proper container and it automatically stops flowing once it's at the right level (although it's like 60p/l on pump compared to about £2/l when bought in a bottle).
@hwd612, I ask as one who doesn't use Adblue, is it possible to refill the special filling bottle either at the pump or from, say, a 5ltr container?

Last edited:

@hwd612 I would be interested how your van is after you do about 250-300miles since he did the work you mention.

I really can't see it being due to the way we fill the AdBlue. If this was the case then it wouldn't just be us 150 owners suffering as I'm sure 204 owners are doing it the same way.
My fault also started toward the last 1/3 of a tank of the original stuff that came with the van which was 2870 miles on the clock. So that's another thing that seems to be common if you read this tread, most of us are saying around the 3000mile range.
I'd be interested to know if the exhaust and AdBlue system is the same on both 150 and 204 version, anyone know?

@Twoguns Have you contacted the MD VWUK yet ?
No, I finished my night shift yesterday morning and couldn't get to bed all day as the replacement car didn't come until 1830. So I was hanging, got next three days off so will have ago sometime over the next day or so but I've got to start getting ready of a Florida fishing trip soon as well, so the van will have to go on the back burner as I'm not going to let it spoil my trip.

Bloody replacement car also displays change oil soon, so I'll have to make VW Assist car replacement aware just in case anything goes wrong because I've got a feeling I'm going to have it for a while.

@Twoguns If you can manage to do it today then, as the van is already at the Dealers, you can get on with the rest of your life. I would also advise the VW Dealers and VWUK of your non-availability while on your Florida trip :thumbsup:.

@Twoguns If you can manage to do it today then, as the van is already at the Dealers, you can get on with the rest of your life. I would also advise the VW Dealers and VWUK of your non-availability while on your Florida trip :thumbsup:.
I'll try to but again ill wait until I have a responsible adult to supervise me this evening.

I'll try to but again ill wait until I have a responsible adult to supervise me this evening.
If you can do that it will be on his desk tomorrow morning. Please remember @T6 Dave's points so that it doesn't look as though you are going over the heads of the two people that are away at the moment. The problem is then back with VWUK and the onus is on them to do the running and not you :D.

Back