Mud Flaps for tailgate vans... recommendations??

Anyone with the moulded front mud flaps should carefully check whether they are rubbing on the bottom of the doors!
On my van, they rubbed through the paint, which can be seen in the photo below. This is quite hard to treat I’ve found. They can possibly be trimmed to prevent this, but I have not refitted mine yet.

6468D506-2D85-4FB6-9E59-8BC618C5775A.jpeg

I've got these ones on my van and really like them! Just secured mine via the original holes.

Anyone figured out a way of reducing the rear window spray? Wondering if a low down or even top of the spoiler helps at all.

The spoiler increases turbulent air at the rear, so if anything, sucks more crap onto the rear doors.

I totally recommend these....

I fitted them to my van in January, after removing the genuine VW shite things.... these have been brilliant at keeping the crud off the side of the van!

51F1D67B-68E3-4CF9-894F-9363F35045EE.jpeg

Just bought the front flaps from Robinson Main VW dealer in Norwich. First they supplied, for a Caddy / Touran. Having spent 30 minutes on my back. Checked the package and saw the wrong ones. Back to Norwich and supplied the correct ones. The crazy thing is that the rears, are 2/3rds the price, twice the rubber and fittings compared to the fronts. £64 for the fronts and a real skimpy set. Just an apology for getting them wrong and wasting time and 40 miles of fuel. Asked for a discount or trade and the parts rep called Shaun said' As the replaced parts were out of the packet and the instruction sheet was dirty' They would have to scrap / bin them, as not fit for resale. So it was all my fault, then!
Small round spherical objects and I don't mean Lollipops, awarded to Robinsons of Norwich.

After having road debris thrown up from vehicle’s that cut back in too soon ....you guessed it more stone chips....I’d make mud flaps compulsory... mud flaps may not stop your van getting dirty ..but stop a lot Sh*t flying up....However if roadworks where kept tidy that would help......Sorry...Rant over :mad:

Hi, I’ve just got a 2019 T32 and trying to find a full set of mudflaps for A Tailgate model. Would prefer not to have to drill any new holes or is that not an option. Does anyone have suggestions? I’m finding a lot of potential solutions have no stock. Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks, Rob

Any rubbing on the underside of the front doors where the doors close over the mud flap?
Hi @Ozi. No - because I carefully trimmed them down following comments I found on here about people getting paint/rust problems developing. It's very easy to do this and doesn't affect the appearance or operation.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Ozi
Mud Flaps - Do They Work?
1. Yes but even better with wheel arches where the tyre is inside the arch as VW intended!
2. Given so many are using wider tyres and wheel spacers so the tyres spray crap up the bodywork is the question really a serious one?
3. However to protect the paint get an expensive wrap!

We used to sack engineers for performing with this level of initiative.

Last edited:
@Robp. I've got the same as @ThreeBridgeT6. Have a look on eBay - there's loads of different suppliers of basically the same item and prices vary widely.
@Ozi. I'm glad you asked that because I just went out and had a look to find about 2mm of paint has rubbed off on the passenger door only - I think the primer is still there so I've just put a blob of clear nail varnish on it (the wifes, not mine) and trimmed a bit of the mudguard plastic of with a stanley blade.

Mud Flaps - Do They Work?
1. Yes but even better with wheel arches where the tyre is inside the arch as VW intended!
2. Given so many are using wider tyres and wheel spacers so the tyres spray crap up the bodywork is the question really a serious one?
3. However to protect the paint get an expensive wrap!

We used to sack engineers for performing with this level of initiative.
There was also an advertising campaign about not sticking your head out of train windows….!

Hi @Ozi. No - because I carefully trimmed them down following comments I found on here about people getting paint/rust problems developing. It's very easy to do this and doesn't affect the appearance or operation.:thumbsup:
Hi

Which part did you trim? I’m after flaps but seems a lot of options out there. These look subtle but effective (hopefully)

Also, does it matter if barn doors or tailgate?!

Hi

Which part did you trim? I’m after flaps but seems a lot of options out there. These look subtle but effective (hopefully)

Also, does it matter if barn doors or tailgate?!
No difference as far as I can see between barn doors or tailgate. You shave the top section of the front pair down where it wraps over the cill, where it potentially comes into contact with the bottom of the door. You can't see it when the door is closed, but before I did it I could see it rubbing.

Thanks for that. Did they fit LWB and no extra holes to be drilled?
@Robp They are a molded profile to match the arch lining/cill/bumper. Wheel base should be irrelevant (can always return an amazon order), mines a SWB though. Two holes to drill for each front flap in the arch lining, very easy to do and the supplied metal clips just sit over the arch lining where holes are drilled to give the supplied screws something to engage with. No holes to drill for the rear flaps they just pick up on existing screws/holes. Just be aware as others have said about rub on the lower corner of the doors, mine don't but worth checking.

Back