MPG after 102 Remap

Ah, that's all well and good until you get tempted by the £20 chainsaw that you didn't know you needed in the middle ais
Ah, that's all well and good until you get tempted by the £20 chainsaw that you didn't know you needed in the middle aisle.
But surely owning a T6 is like the middle aisle of Aldi. There’s always something you didn’t know you needed until you see it here then you have to buy it. ;):slow rofl:

Unless the trend for fuel prices is going down, in which case only put as much as you need in since it will be cheaper to fill up next time (like that's ever going to happen)

Bit the bullet and went and had the V Dub remapped. Happy with the results. 145bhp mapped to 170bhp. Smoother pulling away and smooth through the torque. Insurance didn't raise my premium for it either! Yea fuel is going up but where's the fun in that.

IMG_20220628_144934.jpg

running same engine (102 bhp) with the same remap (170 bhp - done 2 weeks ago, by Pendle Performance HQ as I do live locally), fully converted camper, 20 inch wheels. Can't tell you tank distance but MPG went from 32 to 36... driving is so much smoother and responsive when pulling away and or joining the motorway... next will be down sizing to 18 inch wheels

I'm guessing pendle did the remap? That's who I'm going to do when out of warranty. Tbh if your happy with them and the service you got them why not mention them and give them a good review?
had mine done 2 weeks ago by Pendle HQ as I am local, 102 up to 170, so much smoother and responsive, highly recommend Martin fom Pendle HQ... mpg up from 32 to 36 but running 20 inch wheels, next change will be a swap over to 18 inch

I've been reading this with interest. I'm currently getting far worse mileage doing 65-70 down the motorway (25-35 as per the dashboard MPG reading) than I am driving down the A roads between 40 and 50 (40+ mpg). It seems the wrong way round to me. Different scenario by a long way, but my wife's car gets next to nothing MPG wise unless it's on the motorway where it's quite economical at 70.

Is this what to expect, or am I making problems up?

I've been reading this with interest. I'm currently getting far worse mileage doing 65-70 down the motorway (25-35 as per the dashboard MPG reading) than I am driving down the A roads between 40 and 50 (40+ mpg). It seems the wrong way round to me. Different scenario by a long way, but my wife's car gets next to nothing MPG wise unless it's on the motorway where it's quite economical at 70.

Motorway speed kills fuel economy (I mean that as in the higher motorway speeds). That’s why I don’t mind cruising with the trucks and joining the next holdup at a more leisurely rate. I still end up alongside those that speed by or try weaving in and out of traffic. Been driving for long enough to see this pattern and it amuses me to watch if I’m honest. I save fuel, tyres, brakes and stress.

From Google: Driving at 70mph uses up to 9% more fuel than at 60mph and up to 15% more than at 50mph, whilst driving at 80mph can use up to 25% more than at 70mph, according to the Department for Transport.
That’s going to apply to engines tuned or not.

I also read long ago stop start can increase mpg by 10%. Can’t understand why people switch it off or even decode it but each to their own.

Drag is exponential to speed, double the speed and you have 4 times the drag, triple the speed and you have 9 times the drag…..
Easy way to save fuel is slow down.

I’ve got a T6.1 T32 150 6 speed full camper conversion and get 500 miles plus mixed driving and 600 miles on the long motorway driving.
Assuming an 80l tank that’s between 28 and 34 mpg then. For mixed driving in a full camper that’s probably not so bad is it?
I tend to just use ours for longer trips or dog walks somewhere ‘exotic’ i.e. not the city centre but at least half an hour away and make a full Saturday or Sunday morning of it). It’s a 102hp van with 16” wheels, full conversion and weighs 2.25t according to the local weighbridge. Tyres are pumped to the max on the label and driving up to the speed limit on most roads but more often around 64mph on motorway (unless there is no traffic when I might decide to burn more fuel to get home quicker) gets me 42mpg (46 on a run to Scotland).

If you remove the windscreen and leave the tailgate open you might improve the fuel economy

I filled up for that very reason today!
Yeah, we are paying about £10 more per tank than we should be now, purely down to the pound being at parity with the dollar. Meanwhile some disaster capitalists are getting un-capped bonuses from shorting.

Assuming an 80l tank that’s between 28 and 34 mpg then. For mixed driving in a full camper that’s probably not so bad is it?
I tend to just use ours for longer trips or dog walks somewhere ‘exotic’ i.e. not the city centre but at least half an hour away and make a full Saturday or Sunday morning of it). It’s a 102hp van with 16” wheels, full conversion and weighs 2.25t according to the local weighbridge. Tyres are pumped to the max on the label and driving up to the speed limit on most roads but more often around 64mph on motorway (unless there is no traffic when I might decide to burn more fuel to get home quicker) gets me 42mpg (46 on a run to Scotland).
It’s a 70 litre tank and I get between 34 and 42 mpg depending on road conditions and journey type. When the fuel warning light comes on it takes about 62 litres to fill up, so an average of 40mpg per tank. Gentle drive to work across country and Motorway at 70. Total of 33 miles and I can get 42 mpg. On the French autoroute sat at 75mph I can easily get 42 mpg average for the journey. I tend to use the ACC on the open road and motorway, although I’m not sure this makes much difference. At 70 mph in 6th the engine is at 1900 rpm.

Back